Hammer bullets

Curious if you've tried them. I find they are so easy to find a load for and not very picky about seating depth. And, do a great job making "Hammer pudding".
Absolutely! You took the words right out of my mouth! I'm loading 11 rifles with Hammers right now…..fixing to develop load for another…..and couldn't be more pleased or find another bullet easier to develop load with! PERIOD!

So what is your point? I don't refuse to try anything, but when what I am trying does not work up to expectations, I don't continue to throw money away trying to make things work. I deal strictly out of the box firearms, not custom built expensive firearms.
Did you play with seating depths?
Many dont because Hammer suggests they are not sensitive to seating depth but ive found they can be and have used seating depth to shrink group size, especially closer to the lands in my experience.

Many dont because Hammer suggests they are not sensitive to seating depth but ive found they can be and have used seating depth to shrink group size, especially closer to the lands in my experience.
I have been reloading since 1972, mostly 30 caliber, 308 on up to 300H&H and all in between. I have found that seating depth is not as critical as consistency. Bullets, primers and powders, not to mention overall case length, length overall (which deals with seating depth) and if crimped, even crimping. If you want to take the time you can make just about any rifle shoot sub MOA. Patience is all important.

Correct! I start at .020 off as Steve suggests and have only had to tweak seating depth on 2 rifles to get .050"+/- groups…..and one was due to detachable magazine and COAL being too long! Easiest bullet I've ever loaded and I've been "rolling my own" since 1965!

Correct! I start at .020 off as Steve suggests and have only had to tweak seating depth on 2 rifles to get .050"+/- groups…..and one was due to detachable magazine and COAL being too long! Easiest bullet I've ever loaded and I've been "rolling my own" since 1965!
In my experience I think the secrete is starting out .020" off the lands, but when I first tried them many Hammer users were suggesting the first drive band groove and to crimp...
It was an expensive lession but they are the easiest bullet to tune once I learned where to seat at.

I wish Hammer would bring out a line of higher BC bullets. The only place they seem behind is on BC. Other bullet makers have figured out how to make sleeker bullets, why not Hammer? Badlands had a good thing going with their super bulldozer. Apex has higher BC, a lot higher, for equal weight bullets. Berger, Hornaday and Sierra all have high BC bullets. Hammers aren't high BC.

For instance, the 25 cal Apex 108 has G7 BC of 0.283. Whereas the Hammer 127 HHT has G7 0.262. If one shoots the 108 in a 25-06 it will shoot as flat or flatter than the Hammer 127 in a 257 Weatherby. The bullet makes as much difference as a lot more powder, recoil, and barrel wear.

I wish Hammer would bring out a line of higher BC bullets. The only place they seem behind is on BC. Other bullet makers have figured out how to make sleeker bullets, why not Hammer? Badlands had a good thing going with their super bulldozer. Apex has higher BC, a lot higher, for equal weight bullets. Berger, Hornaday and Sierra all have high BC bullets. Hammers aren't high BC.

For instance, the 25 cal Apex 108 has G7 BC of 0.283. Whereas the Hammer 127 HHT has G7 0.262. If one shoots the 108 in a 25-06 it will shoot as flat or flatter than the Hammer 127 in a 257 Weatherby. The bullet makes as much difference as a lot more powder, recoil, and barrel wear.
I'll give up a little BC any day to the way Hammers perform on game!! Terminal performance is all I'm concerned with!

Just my opinion on this but iirc Hammers metalurgy is tuned for optimal terminal performance to shed their petals just right which they are famous for. The BC is still respectable and they are stable so flatness is just another click or two on the dial.

Some of the monos like Barnes retain all their weight and form a big mushroom. The Hammers shed their nose. Are we sure the Hammers have better terminal performance? After all many shooters say the same thing about Barnes regarding terminal performance.

Better BC can improve terminal performance too. ;)
Theoritically! But I've used everything from Speer, Sierra, Barnes X, Nosler Partitions, etc in the old days to Berger VLDs, Hornady ELDMs, etc in the last few decades and never had one perform like Hammers……Granted, my shots aren't extremely long range but for me and my clients that use them, we'll stick with Hammers! 🥴

Better BC can improve terminal performance too. ;)
Yes, shoot the Apex and it's just like shooting a magnum.
Theoritically! But I've used everything from Speer, Sierra, Barnes X, Nosler Partitions, etc in the old days to Berger VLDs, Hornady ELDMs, etc in the last few decades and never had one perform like Hammers……Granted, my shots aren't extremely long range but for me and my clients that use them, we'll stick with Hammers! 🥴
South Texas, anything will kill those undersized deer.;););)

Some of the monos like Barnes retain all their weight and form a big mushroom. The Hammers shed their nose. Are we sure the Hammers have better terminal performance? After all many shooters say the same thing about Barnes regarding terminal performance.

"better" is always going to be subjective and based on the individuals needs and experience. To me they are both great performing bullets but just designed to do the same thing differently.
Myself I like the idea of the petals shedding creating their own wound channels, they both penetrate well enough.

Yes, shoot the Apex and it's just like shooting a magnum.

South Texas, anything will kill those undersized deer.;););)
Yea, you're right!

Attachments

• IMG_3817.png
    IMG_3817.png
    3 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3869.jpeg
    IMG_3869.jpeg
    186 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3860.png
    IMG_3860.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 37