Gun builder vs gun builder

shooters

Not to ruffle feathers. Just always wondered this.
Take two builders. Heck, take 10 builders

Each use say Defiance Anti X
McMillan Hunter Stock or Manners etc.
Bartlein/Proof carbon. Whatever.
Hawkins Bottom metal
Trigger tech Diamond 2 Stage
Bedded
Wyatt's box
Blended tang that's almost seamless
All trued from the action/receiver to bolt face all the way down to action screws to hold it together.
Cerakoted here and there, etc.

Why does one go out the door at $3800-4k, the next is 6-8k and then there's the Gunwerks at 10k?
I've had so many built with the specs above around that $3700-4k range that are lights out, and machine and build are flawless.

Just asking because the thought of going with someone's $8k build has always intrigued me and sometimes I feel like I'm missing out on something, but not sure if what.

Hawkins Bottom metal
Bedded
Wyatt's box
All trued from the action/receiver to bolt face all the way down to action screws to hold it together.

Why does one go out the door at $3800-4k, the next is 6-8k and then there's the Gunwerks at 10k?
I've had so many built with the specs above around that $3700-4k range that are lights out, and machine and build are flawless.

Just asking because the thought of going with someone's $8k build has always intrigued me and sometimes I feel like I'm missing out on something, but not sure if what.
When it comes to the Gunwerks scenario, an old saying comes to mind, "a fool and his money soon part".

Your parts list is $3700 retail. That leaves little to no room for labor costs.

Now, some dealers get discounts, more than others. That gives a bit of wiggle room. But all top end parts like you listed will more than liky not come in at that $4k price tag. $5k, maybe.

Do you realize how much all the equipment costs to do the labor if you are doing more than one at a time? Shop costs, labor, overhead, taxes, licenses, etc.

Well known gun builders price for their reputation too.

Now, some dealers get discounts, more than others. That gives a bit of wiggle room. But all top end parts like you listed will more than liky not come in at that $4k price tag. $5k, maybe.

Do you realize how much all the equipment costs to do the labor if you are doing more than one at a time? Shop costs, labor, overhead, taxes, licenses, etc.

Brother in law builds rifles. They get a substantially lower price on parts.
Anyhow. Not a jab at anyone. Just trying to see the difference between a $4000 rifle and a $10,000 rifle. Both seemingly the same.

Last edited:

I was just about to write this lol.

My PARTS on my last two builds were $4500. That's if I bought them. Whether the builder get a deal on them and makes money, doesn't matter one bit to me. I couldn't get that price anyways. I hope he makes more money, so that I have a great builder to keep dealing with. I don't need them to go broke giving discounts to everyone and doing everything for the bare minimum.

Price the parts and then add $1200-$1500 in labor and cerakote. That's what I believe is a fair, going price.

Yes. My brother-in-law those rifles for a living. So I'm quite aware. And he pays far far less than what retail is for parts. Hes still far from that 8k range.

Just curiosity is all. Always wondered what the difference is. I've used other builders as well.
I've just yet to pay over that $4500 range or so. I'd like to spend some time with other builders to see what the differences.
What builders, besides gunwerks are charging $8k for a baseline build?

Every one I've dealt with and seen, is normally cost of parts, plus $1000-$1500

Lance is spot on for sure. I have all the tools, equipment, license and knowledge to build what I want and I only build for a select group of people. But if lance was to post a list of the cost involved to put out more than one rifle a day you would understand very quickly why some rifles are more expensive than others. I've been in several gun manufacturers shops and it really blows my mind on how much tooling and man power is needed.

I've seen $500, $1500, $3000, and $10,000 rifles all shoot lights out super tight accuracy. In the end it's about accuracy, the appeal and look of a rifle, ergonomics, custom bullet catering chambers, materials, labor, reputation, etc that drives the cost. And that is up to the customer. So pick your poison.

I agree wholeheartedly with lancetkenyon. I'm building my first bolt action rifle. I bought all my parts during sales except the bottom metal and magazine. By the time I finish I have almost $4K in this rifle doing it myself. Opened my eyes as to why custom rifles are so expensive.

Hawkins Bottom metal
Bedded
Wyatt's box

I, too, agree with @lancetkenyon. However, if you want to keep your costs down, don't ask him for a scope recommendation. 🤣 Sorry, Brother, I could not resist. :cool:

I used to eat at a great little restaurant that loved law enforcement and wanted to feed us for free, the cops ate them out of business. I paid for mine but they are no longer around.

To your point or rather, question. We all place value on things differently, I personally really love the best components which is relative because other than maybe Tangent Theta optics, there are so many very good receivers, barrels, stocks and triggers that it creates a wide array of costs depending on what you choose which becomes more an emotional purchase based on perceived value to an individual. The rifle in my photo left is a Curtis, Bartlein, Trigger Tech Diamond, MPA and a Tract 4-20 which is the best glass that I could afford. Would I like a TT? Absolutely but I live on a cops' income and they aren't in the budget. I do spend more on things that matter, to me. I would have bought a Terminus over the Curtis but Joel had not started production at the time.

If we all placed our highest value on the fundamentals that matter most (a combination of fit and accuracy) we would all be shooting Savage, Howa or perhaps Tikkas and buy the best optic we could afford. But what's the fun in that? Spend your money on what matters to you, if you love Defiance or any of the other top shelf receivers, great! I personally would rather buy another Tikka for price of a Proof carbon barrel but to each his own. Embrace that which makes you content and enjoy!

I, too, agree with @lancetkenyon. However, if you want to keep your costs down, don't ask him for a scope recommendation. 🤣 Sorry, Brother, I could not resist. :cool:
That's for dang sure. I'm a Texas Texh fan. You know TT! So now every time I hear some one say "oh your a TT fan" I think Lance!

TT TT TT TT ! He cost me a lot of money last few years.