Getting into long range hunting

Weatherbys are usually well made - but hard to glass bed I hear. Just see how it shoots with different ammo. That is one hell of a round if dialed in.
They're made no different than any other mass-production rifle on the market. They're just living off a legacy and charging retarded prices for off-the-shelf rifles. No different than a Remington SPS, just with a nicer piece of wood, and a shinier finish...

There are a lot of good production rifles today no question - but as a trusty ole Gunsmith I know said: Weatherby iss a very strong rifle . If your Weatherby 7 Mag shoots well - use it but extend the life by also practicing with a good - inexpensive production gun - today - and I would first look at the 6.5 CM. Ruger, Savage, Browning (X bolt especially) - make good ones that can shoot and Tikka shoots darn good also (moa guarantee) - but don't know if they have a 6.5 yet. :)

Thanks for all the great info. I think I've got a plan now. I think I'm going to use my current setup to work out to 800-1000 yards. I know it's not ideal, but it's what I've got and I love the gun. If/when I shoot the barrel out or hone my skills to where the gun is holding me back, I'll make the determination then to rebarrel or get a different gun. I know at some point I'll get some new glass as well. I'm just gonna have to poor boy it for a while. I'm at the beginning of a string of four kids that'll all be in college within the next 6 years.

So my plan is:

1. Start working out to longer distances with the gun as is.

2. Start reloading my ammunition.

3. Possibly glass bed the action and free float the barrel if I'm not happy with its accuracy.

4. Rebarrel/new glass/new gun depending on what my experience is.

5. Shoot some steel from a long *** distance and have a blast doing it.

I hope y'all are a patient bunch, because I know I'll have a ton of questions on the way.
My $.02 Switch 1 and 2. Practice until you outrun the scope. By that time it you will need both a new scope and barrel. Rebarrel with a 1-8 twist. Work up a new load for 180's. Keep the stock and action you are used to. You will be deadly for a long ways. My coach used to say spend all your money on ammo and lessons until changing anything else truly makes a difference.

I think you have a good plan now. B4 you do anything with the stock tho - suggest you speak with Weatherby reps - now in Cody, Wyo. They are very helpful - and they warned me that it can be hard to glassbed a Wby - just the way they're made - so snug into their stocks in the first place. Q - how many rounds thru this gun and how does it shoot now??

Honestly, I have no idea how many rounds have been through the gun as I bought it used, but it looks to have been barely fired. I've only put a couple of boxes through it. I do know that it shoots sub moa, but it's been a while since I did and I can't remeber the size of the groups. I took it with me deer hunting with my daughters one day and the hunting was slow. A coyote parked about 250 yards from us and I got bored of looking at him and dispatched him with a head shot. Immediately, my first thought was, you big dummy, you just shot a 'yote with a $5 bullet.

LOL. Hey sounds like it shoots just fine - certainly good 'enuff for out to 300 -500 plus yards for bigger game.

Remington 783 in .308 or 30.06 would be great - as it comes with a serviceable scope and shoots very good and can be had - after $50 rebate - for under $300. Some writers were getting 1/2 ".

I like the idea of having a practice rifle and saving the seven mag for hunting. Only thing I'm not sure if is moving from a lighter recoil practice rifle and still being able to make the shot with a mule kicker when the prize is on the line.

I wouldn't buy a 783...Personal opinion.

If you want a true LR precision factory rifle in .308 Win, get a 700 5R Milspec. I have 2 of them. The .308 Win shoots in the .1xx" groups on occasion, and averages in the .2xx" groups with handloads.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/42435/Remington+Firearms+85196+700+5-R+Gen+2+Bolt+308+Winchester/7.62+NATO+20+4+1+Sy

Toss in this trigger (factory 700 triggers are horrible)...

https://www.swfa.com/timney-triggers-remington-700-w-safety-8.html

Top it off with this scope and mount setup...

https://www.swfa.com/vortex-6-24x50-viper-hs-t-30mm-rifle-scope.html

https://www.swfa.com/seekins-precision-scope-30mm-rings.html

https://www.swfa.com/egw-hd-picatinny-rail-1-piece-scope-mount-63.html

Last edited:
All a matter of how much one has to spend. For the $1,000 for that Remington 700 5 R rifle (just for the rifle) - - you can also buy a Browning X Bolt Long Range - or Savage has a long range model about that price in their lineup - and Tikka T3X as well. Very good guns all - - but the Remington 783 (with mounted - serviceable scope for around $300 -) - will shoot just fine.

OH yes - if I upgrade to a new scope - The Vortex Viper would be my current choice as well.

Get a "limbsaver" or similiar for the Weatherby if you are concerned about recoil - but usually - in the field - one doesn't usually notice recoil (assuming you have not developed a flinch) - - unlike firing a box or more at the bench.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.