Getting into long range hunting

Blackdirt Cowboy

Like the title says, I'm wanting to get into long range hunting, but I don't have a ton of cash to drop into a new hobby. What I do have is a Japanese made Weatherby Mark V lazermark chameberd in 7mm Weatherby Magnum. It is completely stock, outfitted with a Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15x42 scope with the z800 ballistic reticle. I also have a place on my land that I can stretch out and shoot out to 2000 yards.

What I really want is a gun that is capable of taking elk out 1000 yards, but also capable of hitting steel out to 2000. Is my weatherby going to get me there? If so, what work will need to be done with it? If not, point me in the right direction. I've been researching different rifles and calibers for days, and that's just left my head spinning.

Currently, I don't reload but I'm in the process of buying the equipment I need to get started doing that. Oh, one other thing, if my current setup won't help me reach my goals, and I do need to go in a different direction, I'm kind of old school. I don't like the tactical looking guns or the composite stocks. I like the wood stocks and traditional looking guns. With all that being said, what is y'alls advice?

Start loading your own and head out and start stretching your range and see how it goes. You will soon find your limitations. If you get to a point where you feel your rifle system is lacking then start figuring out how to fill the gap. I think what you have still get you a long ways out there.

Like the title says, I'm wanting to get into long range hunting, but I don't have a ton of cash to drop into a new hobby. What I do have is a Japanese made Weatherby Mark V lazermark chameberd in 7mm Weatherby Magnum. It is completely stock, outfitted with a Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15x42 scope with the z800 ballistic reticle. I also have a place on my land that I can stretch out and shoot out to 2000 yards.

What I really want is a gun that is capable of taking elk out 1000 yards, but also capable of hitting steel out to 2000. Is my weatherby going to get me there? If so, what work will need to be done with it? If not, point me in the right direction. I've been researching different rifles and calibers for days, and that's just left my head spinning.

Currently, I don't reload but I'm in the process of buying the equipment I need to get started doing that. Oh, one other thing, if my current setup won't help me reach my goals, and I do need to go in a different direction, I'm kind of old school. I don't like the tactical looking guns or the composite stocks. I like the wood stocks and traditional looking guns. With all that being said, what is y'alls advice?
nuttin wrong with the gun ya got...have yer gun accurized and shoot it....the weatherby mag is a better cartridge than the 7mm rem mag....ballistically speaking of course...
7 mag will shoot 3000 yards...

Welcome to Lrh, great to have you on board. You have a great platform to work with. And with time you will achieve your goal. 7mm bore is hard to beat
amen brother....you can shoot holes in the 6.5 creed game all day long with a .284

Awesome. That's good news. I was worried I would have to go buy a new custom gun to get where I wanted to be. I cant wait until I get all my reloading stuff. As of now, all I have is weatherby factory ammo, and it's pretty spendy. Can anyone reccomend some loads to start playing with?

If your weatherby is accurate, the scope you have is a good one for holdovers. stuff I found useful.
1. A good bi-pod--Harris works good for the sling studs you probobly have on the rifle--and shooting bags (rear bag, an a couple other bags for different situations).
2. Good range finder. Leica 2000, sig 2200 ect...spend around $500 and you get what you pay for.
3. Wind meter I had a cheap 'o I started out with, but helped me get a good idea what 3mph felt like and what 10 mph felt like...
4. Invest in some good steel targets, buy like 5 or 6 and buy them big enough not to get frustrated, I have 10" and 12" gongs with one 18"x24" plate.
5. A good mat to lay out on, I use a old napping mat that my kids had.

6. Get into reloading if your not.

7. Invest in a class I have done

http://ftwsaam.com/SAAMTraining.aspx?id=prcsn

I have done SAAM precision prep

http://badlandstactical.org/

And the badlands course

Each were very good with different feels...I would do them both again in a heartbeat.

8. Get somewhere and ask a bunch of questions (this is a great place-ton of experience floating around) I shoot with a group--and have learned a ton from the 3 guys I shoot with by spotting and discussing their shots.

Enjoy..I have been LR shooting now going on 10 years--I have changed my equipment probably 5 times--or I should say refined what I liked...

Ed

Last edited:
nuttin wrong with the gun ya got...have yer gun accurized and shoot it....the weatherby mag is a better cartridge than the 7mm rem mag....ballistically speaking of course...
7 mag will shoot 3000 yards...
His big 7 will git him there, but good luck trying it with a 1" scope tube.

I think your gun and scope can work for now. I would work on the 4-800 yard range. All advice above is good advice. For reloading you can use your factory shot brass. I would look to the Berger 175-180 at least or the 168 might be good out to a 1000. Seirra makes good bullets too they have some match Kong's that would be worth a try maybe the 165 game changers would be worth a try. Hornady has the 175 eldx that has a good bc. I would try to shoot them 160g plus bullets. What's the twist rate of your rifle?

Blackdirt Cowboy,

I loaded for a friend's 7Weatherby. I used 150 Noslers Ballistic Tip and 140 home made bullets. I could do five shots in a half inch at 100 yards with the home made bullets and five shots in an inch with the Noslers. With that said I would not hesitate to stretch yours out to 1000 in a heart beat. The twist has to be tight enough to use the longer bullets.

I think for the last 15-20 years weatherby uses a 1-10 on there 7mm why mag (some of the much older rifles used a 1-12..so be careful)..should shoot 140-165 with no problem. I have seen problems with accuracy with the aggressive bullets like the berger-- 168 and 180s and the heavy 175 grain bullets in a 1-10. that said my 1-10 30 cal shoots 225 ELDs just fine

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.