General Purpose Cartridge for Coyotes up to Elk

Although I don't own a 6.5 PRC in my collection, I think it would be a good choice for your application. The Ruger is good to build off of. They will accept AICS mags in the newer models. I own a 6CM and a 6.5. Both rifles received some customization but were very accurate right from the start before I started reloading for them. Interestingly, I live not far from you in Three Rivers. Good luck with your choice and welcome to the forum.

There's other options than normal factory ammo if you don't reload. It's expensive at first but it would get you better accuracy and more bullet choices than normal factory ammo. Here's a couple to look into. I think some will even reload the brass from your original purchase to save money.
Very cool! Didn't know something like that existed. Figured it was reload or factory ammo with no in between. Will check em out. Thank you!

Last edited:
Although I don't own a 6.5 PRC in my collection, I think it would be a good choice for your application. The Ruger is good to build off of. They will accept AICS mags in the newer models. I own a 6CM and a 6.5. Both rifles received some customization but were very accurate right from the start before I started reloading for them. Interestingly, I live not far from you in Three Rivers. Good luck with your choice and welcome to the forum.
Good to know about the Rugers. I have been in the full custom rabbit hole and hadn't necessarily considered going factory for a rifle. I have become picky over the years (spoiled to some I would guess 😆) and hadn't looked into them. No reason besides I was pretty set on piecing together a full custom. I know where Three Rivers is at. I am actually in Sherwood, though. It is family friends who have the property in La Pine. Beautiful country.

Last edited:
@Rotten is right about being limited to factory ammo. .308 Win, 6.5 PRC, even the 6.5 Creedmoor are pretty good options if you don't handload. Creedmoor is also great if you're recoil averse. Creedmoor; you might shorten your range for elk vs some of the other cartridges though. I have a relative who shoots tiny little groups at 300 yds with his suppressed Creedmoor. He is a big ol' boy who hates recoil. Funny thing is his little wife shoots .308 Win. 🤣

Not that the .264 WM is "obscure". Its not. It's a classic high velocity 6.5! I'd take a custom to my specs 264 WM every day over most 6.5's except maybe the Nosler, if brass availability wasn't such a headache.

In short action, I'd go 6.5-300 WSM. But I ain't shootin' no stinkin' inconsistent factory ammo!
Yup the 264 win mag shouldn't be obscure. That's what I thought about all the hype over the wsm cartridges. So I bought a 270wsm thinking I'm going to get something that's totally awesome. That's gen X talk if you're confused 🤔
Anyway 20 plus year's later it's not so cool,hot,or in demand
Still a great round that you can't find brass for unless you're willing to spend 100 dollars for 50 PC's
I wonder how the old cowboy's felt about smokeless powder out away from big cities,?

Yup the 264 win mag shouldn't be obscure. That's what I thought about all the hype over the wsm cartridges. So I bought a 270wsm thinking I'm going to get something that's totally awesome. That's gen X talk if you're confused 🤔
Still a great round that you can't find brass for unless you're willing to spend 100 dollars for 50 PC's
I wonder how the old cowboy's felt about smokeless powder out away from big cities,?
The wsm's are cool cartridges and the 270 is definitely overlooked. Not as many people seem to be into the .277/6.8 bullets these days. The good ole 270 win is a cool round too. Would still love to own a pre-64 in 270 someday.

Hi all,

New to the forum, but have lingered here for years. Currently in the process of building a new custom hunting rifle and know every component I am going to be going with except for the cartridge. I am getting back into hunting and all of these new cartridge make it hard to figure out what direction to go.... Thinking about one of the PRC's since I am not invested in any particular caliber. Would like to get into hunting coyotes (a family friend has property in La Pine running rampant with them) and would also like to be able to hunt up to elk with the same cartridge. I'm in Oregon, just east of the cascades. Shots will be 500 yards and in, with maybe a shot a little further than that here or there. Barrel will be 20 inches as I will be running suppressed 100% of the time. Does anyone have recommendations on a good cartridge? Have thought of 6.5 PRC since it is always in stock online and also around where I live. Open to anything within reason really. If I need to move this post to a more appropriate area, please let me know. Many thanks!

Charles
Real world you can't go wrong with either choice, They'll do you proud on elk and yotes to a long freaking ways and much past 500 for sure!

I've used a Big 7 for close to 40 years, mainly the 7 Mashburn Super and the 7 RM. The PRC is a good one for sure.

When my barrel on my 70/7 WSM goes TU I'll rebarrel it to 6.5 PRC, and or when I run out of brass for the WSM or whichever comes first.

Either way you just can't go wrong

(side note I see some jokester mention that the 6.5 PRC is good on elk to 250 yds. Hmm, I wonder what happens at 251 yds...:) Snork. Sure would be entertaining to hear his best guess why only 250 yds)

Bullet availability and faster barrel twists have changed many things lately and prompted renewed interest. My .264 WM with a 26" barrel has a 1:7" primarily built for the heavies, i.e. 156 Bergers. Unfortunately, I have not done any load development yet.

My .257 WBY with 22" suppressed also has 1:7", which is also primarily built for the heavies—131 BJ, 134 Hornady ELD-M, and 133/135 Bergers. However, I skipped all that and jumped directly with 145 Black Hole and 163 Chichagas in load development. During a pressure test with powders I had opened, I propelled the 145 at 3090 FPS and 163 at 2915 FPS with more room to spare. Not too shabby, in my opinion.

I also have two 300 WSMs (24" and 26 "barrels). The 24" propels the 215 Berger at 2850 FPS. When it is time for a re-barrel, it will have a faster twist. Luckily, I have acquired brass for all of the chamberings noted for the barrels' life.

Bullet availability and faster barrel twists have changed many things lately and prompted renewed interest. My .264 WM with a 26" barrel has a 1:7" primarily built for the heavies, i.e. 156 Bergers. Unfortunately, I have not done any load development yet.

My .257 WBY with 22" suppressed also has 1:7", which is also primarily built for the heavies—131 BJ, 134 Hornady ELD-M, and 133/135 Bergers. However, I skipped all that and jumped directly with 145 Black Hole and 163 Chichagas in load development. During a pressure test with powders I had opened, I propelled the 145 at 3090 FPS and 163 at 2915 FPS with more room to spare. Not too shabby, in my opinion.

I also have two 300 WSMs (24" and 26 "barrels). The 24" propels the 215 Berger at 2850 FPS. When it is time for a re-barrel, it will have a faster twist. Luckily, I have acquired brass for all of the chamberings noted for the barrels' life.
215 Berger in a WSM? That sounds like a great combo. I really need to figure out a way to reload.