General Purpose Cartridge for Coyotes up to Elk

I have a little different take than others. If your big game focus is elk, I'd build a rifle with a capable elk cartridge. I've killed coyotes (together with a pile of jack rabbits and prairie dogs) with nearly every big game rifle I've owned (270, 270wsm, 7STW, 308, 30-06, 300wby, 338, 340wby and 35Whelen). No well hit coyoted survived. The benefit of this approach is it really helps you learn your rifle and its trajectory. Would I bring my 340wby on a dedicated prairie dog hunt? Of course not…recoil, cost of reloading components would be silly. Unlike prairie dogs where it's easy to shoot a couple hundred rounds over a couple of really good large towns, shooting a box of shells over a weekend of coyote hunting would be unheard of. I'm a fan of getting to know your go to gun shoot as often as you can. For the same reasons, I'd use your big game hunting loads to better learn its trajectory. For what it's worth, elk are not bullet proof. With the right bullets and modern powders, a 270 and up will suffice at the ranges you've described if your shooting is up to snuff.

Yep! This is one of those antelope hunts that turned into a coyote hunt. They were hunting the same herd I was watching. This one was sitting down watching me from their den 525Y away. He fell from a 175 Matrix VLD out of my 270 AI.

View attachment 600589
View attachment 600590
Whatever he felt when that bullet hit, he didn't feel it for very long.

Hi all,

New to the forum, but have lingered here for years. Currently in the process of building a new custom hunting rifle and know every component I am going to be going with except for the cartridge. I am getting back into hunting and all of these new cartridge make it hard to figure out what direction to go.... Thinking about one of the PRC's since I am not invested in any particular caliber. Would like to get into hunting coyotes (a family friend has property in La Pine running rampant with them) and would also like to be able to hunt up to elk with the same cartridge. I'm in Oregon, just east of the cascades. Shots will be 500 yards and in, with maybe a shot a little further than that here or there. Barrel will be 20 inches as I will be running suppressed 100% of the time. Does anyone have recommendations on a good cartridge? Have thought of 6.5 PRC since it is always in stock online and also around where I live. Open to anything within reason really. If I need to move this post to a more appropriate area, please let me know. Many thanks!

Charles
Welcome from the Cherokee Nation.

I'm old school at heart. How about the venerable .264 Winchester Magnum?

Welcome from the Cherokee Nation.

I'm old school at heart. How about the venerable .264 Winchester Magnum?
As much as I like old school for someone that's not into reloading I would seriously stay away from the Obscure cartridges. As much as I love old rifles and such it's just not worth it starting out.
Go with a round that you know is available all the time and you can afford.
The two always go hand in hand. I forgot who said it but for a 1 gun due everything a 308 is going to be very very hard to beat.

I am also contemplating two barrels for one rifle. Would prefer to keep a short action
Are you talking a full custom build? The 6.5 PRC uses a magnum bolt face, and the smaller cartridges you mentioned don't. They also wouldn't function from the same magazine either.

Cheapest way would be to build off a Savage 10/110 action and have a chassis that uses ACIS magazines. Best way would be an Origin action, and again with a bottom metal that uses ACIS magazines. That way you can change bolt faces as needed to shoot the cartridge you want.

It would be easier and cheaper to buy the Ruger American Gen II rifles I suggested earlier.

Ducky,

Yes, sir. Full custom. And yes, I was already set on an Origin short action for the ability to change bolt faces. Well aware that the creed and PRC family of cartridges are 308 and magnum bolt faces, respectively. The plan is a Manners stock, Hawkins Hunter DBM bottom metal and AICS mags.

I understand there are cheaper ways of going about it, but I am not interested in the Rugers.

Ducky,

Yes, sir. Full custom. And yes, I was already set on an Origin short action for the ability to change bolt faces. Well aware that the creed and PRC family of cartridges are 308 and magnum bolt faces, respectively. The plan is a Manners stock, Hawkins Hunter DBM bottom metal and AICS mags.

I understand there are cheaper ways of going about it, but I am not interested in the Rugers.
If you are using a short action and want a prc your only choice is the 6.5 prc. 7 saum would probably be your best choice on a short action.

Ducky,

It would have helped/avoided confusion if you had started with this information.

Yes,
If you are using a short action and want a prc your only choice is the 6.5 prc. 7 saum would probably be your best choice on a short action.
Aware the 6.5 PRC is the only short action out of the bunch. Was only stating I understood the bolt face differences. If I was reloading I would definitely consider the 7 SAUM. 6.8 Western is another one I have looked into, but it seems Hornady has cornered it into not having a whole lot of good variety when it comes to factory ammo.

As much as I like old school for someone that's not into reloading I would seriously stay away from the Obscure cartridges. As much as I love old rifles and such it's just not worth it starting out.
Go with a round that you know is available all the time and you can afford.
The two always go hand in hand. I forgot who said it but for a 1 gun due everything a 308 is going to be very very hard to beat.
@Rotten is right about being limited to factory ammo. .308 Win, 6.5 PRC, even the 6.5 Creedmoor are pretty good options if you don't handload. Creedmoor is also great if you're recoil averse. Creedmoor; you might shorten your range for elk vs some of the other cartridges though. I have a relative who shoots tiny little groups at 300 yds with his suppressed Creedmoor. He is a big ol' boy who hates recoil. Funny thing is his little wife shoots .308 Win. 🤣

Not that the .264 WM is "obscure". Its not. It's a classic high velocity 6.5! I'd take a custom to my specs 264 WM every day over most 6.5's except maybe the Nosler, if brass availability wasn't such a headache.

In short action, I'd go 6.5-300 WSM. But I ain't shootin' no stinkin' inconsistent factory ammo!