For the Sake of all that is Sacred. what are we allowed to use in Ohio

RayRosher

Hi Guys I just joined, The wife after many years of saying that she was going to get herself a Rifle has plumped for the Savage Axis MK1, 6.5cal. I think it is the Creedmoor but not certain
Now as far as I can figure out, that rifle at that calibre is legal in Maryland MD where we for the moment Live,

However, she has been invited by some Friends in Ohio to join them for some Deer Hunting in I think November this year 2024.

here's the question!
is that gun legal in Ohio for deer hunting, or is there a specific calibre of bullet type that that gun could take to make it legal.
shes kind of excited about this but I don't want her hard-earned money to be wasted on a Rifle that she won't be able to use in ohio,
I think with the rebate the gun with scope, she is getting for $500-$75 =$425 with the rebate if she gets it before the 31st of this month just been confirmed today that she passed the background Check.

There are no 6.5 cal rounds legal for deer in Ohio

Straight-walled cartridge rifles in the following calibers: All straight-walled cartridge calibers from a minimum of . 357 to a maximum of . 50. Shotguns and straight-walled cartridge rifles can be loaded with no more than three shells in the chamber and magazine combined.

Hi Guys I just joined, The wife after many years of saying that she was going to get herself a Rifle has plumped for the Savage Axis MK1, 6.5cal. I think it is the Creedmoor but not certain
Now as far as I can figure out, that rifle at that calibre is legal in Maryland MD where we for the moment Live,

However, she has been invited by some Friends in Ohio to join them for some Deer Hunting in I think November this year 2024.

here's the question!
is that gun legal in Ohio for deer hunting, or is there a specific calibre of bullet type that that gun could take to make it legal.
shes kind of excited about this but I don't want her hard-earned money to be wasted on a Rifle that she won't be able to use in ohio,
I think with the rebate the gun with scope, she is getting for $500-$75 =$425 with the rebate if she gets it before the 31st of this month just been confirmed today that she passed the background Check.
I think it would pay to research yourself. And if this is her first rifle. How much practice is she going to be doing before the hunt ? I would want her feeling comfortable with the firearm. Especially wanting to make sure the firearm is sound before the hunt. Don't just buy a gun and think you just go hunting. Is she hunting with a friend in a stand (blind) ? Or will they be dropping her off at a spot to hunt alone ? I would be wanting to know a few specifics before going. If going with a straight wall cartridge. I would possibly look at the 350 Legend as 338 dude suggested. But I think I would spend a few dollars more on a rifle. Maybe a upper tier Savage like the predator model, etc. Or look at the Ruger Americans. I have not heard good things about the Axis in the 350 Legend. But do your own research before buying. Possibly do a poll on here to get peoples opinions n what rifle to buy. In that specific caliber. Perhaps I am wrong about the Savage Axis in 350 legend. I was going off of internet gossip. And youtube videos. They have feeding issues from mag, from what I gathered. The good about the 350 Legend is ammo availability.

Last edited:

here's the question!
350 legend

So an uodate on the Rifle it would seem that it may not be a 6.5 cal but a 270 cal bad or good value for money at $425
270 is a great round, but I'm not a fan of Savage Axis rifles. I hear good things about the latest generation of them, but I bought a gen 1 for my son and it was a piece of junk.
So, depends, what is her budget?
I have a 45/70 for when I hunt where only straight walled cartridges are allowed. Also built myself a 450 Bushmaster in the AR15, and it's a beast. For hunting, I prefer the 450 Bush because the AR15 is two pounds lighter, and much softer recoil than the 45/70.
Either one is easily effective out to 250 yards, and farther with practice.

In many densely populated states, cartridges having extended lethal maximum ranges are banned for shooting deers. This would include any of the standard 6.5mm rounds having a maximum range exceeding 3 miles with a capability of inflicting lethal wounds.
This concern has resulted in various regulations that have restricted ammo for shooting deers to straight wall rounds having lengths 2 inches or less or shotguns loaded with single projectile slugs or buckshots. There is much fear of injury from flying errant bullets.
Deploying the 450 Bush shows creative thinking.

Last edited:
You have to look at the hunter as well as the weapon. If your wife is new to shooting and or hunting and not experienced with recoil then shotguns, muzzle loaders without reduced loads and bigger straight wall cartridges are going to cause a disappointing and possibly short shooting and hunting career.
The .350 Legend is probably one of the most popular straight wall deer hunting cartridges being used in Ohio. Recoil is very manageable, accuracy is good and the round works fine for deer. If you buy her a rifle with more recoil like a .444 or .45-70 and she shoots it once and it hurts her, your wasting your money and ruining her experience. Shooting and hunting are supposed to be fun and enjoyable.
Also as has been said before the best outcome would be to have a responsible person from the area she is hunting in with her. I live in and have hunted deer in Ohio for 45 years. I don't want to read about your wife or anyone else being involved in a tragic accident . Again, it is supposed to be fun.

In many densely populated states, cartridges having extended lethal maximum ranges are banned. This would include any of the 6.5mm rounds having a maximum range exceeding 3 miles with a capability of inflicting lethal wounds.
This concern has resulted in various regulations that have restricted ammo for shooting deers to straight wall rounds having lengths 2 inches or less or shotguns loaded with single projectile slugs or buckshots. There is much fear of injury from flying errant bullets.
Deploying the 450 Bush shows creative thinking.
A solution for a problem that did not exist ?

You have to look at the hunter as well as the weapon. If your wife is new to shooting and or hunting and not experienced with recoil then shotguns, muzzle loaders without reduced loads and bigger straight wall cartridges are going to cause a disappointing and possibly short shooting and hunting career.
The .350 Legend is probably one of the most popular straight wall deer hunting cartridges being used in Ohio. Recoil is very manageable, accuracy is good and the round works fine for deer. If you buy her a rifle with more recoil like a .444 or .45-70 and she shoots it once and it hurts her, your wasting your money and ruining her experience. Shooting and hunting are supposed to be fun and enjoyable.
Also as has been said before the best outcome would be to have a responsible person from the area she is hunting in with her. I live in and have hunted deer in Ohio for 45 years. I don't want to read about your wife or anyone else being involved in a tragic accident . Again, it is supposed to be fun.
Excellent advice ☝️
I wouldn't waste money on the axis. JMO

Recent Posts