First antelope and did it with revolver

Hunting with a .44 is super fun. I took a mule deer doe at 25 yards or so with mine years ago. Bang Flop with a Hornady 240 grn. XTP.
I got 3 animals with my 44 mag BFR this year. This antelope at 109, then elk cow at 40ish yards and in the end whitetail doe at 90 yards. Antelope made 10 steps the most and crashed, elk cow ran about 80-90 yards, I'm not really sure, and whitetail was bang flop.

Edit. I got a coyote at 60 yards as well.

Last edited:
Love it- just saw this thread. I am doing more handgun hunting also. Have an FA in 454 that I have been shooting. Great job on the antelope too !!!
That's a 150 yards elk gun with proper bullets. I would suggest cutting edge or Barnes bullets for it. A friend of mine harvested a cow elk at 180 yards with 454 BFR the other day.

Yep!
I posted this on another thread.
Killed this buck with S&W model 19, 357 mag.
And also a mulley Doe years ago.
I shoot this gun very well but I thing Huntingskydiver has me beat!
That's a really nice buck. I missed one at 60-70 yards on Black Friday, he came too fast and I forgot my thick gloves on, by the time I realized I have gloves on I already jerked the trigger and missed him. In the evening same day I got another one but with my single shot pistol. You should come to Handgun Hunter's Competition and have fun with us in June in Newcastle WY.

Man a shoot like that sounds like a lot of fun.
Even though I am a decent hand gun shooter compared to most my buddy's I am no where near your caliber at the distances you are shooting. Most all my shooting has been with that little 357. I have recently picked up a Ruger super blackhawk from the Widow of one of my best friends that past a couple year ago. It has a Leopold scope on it and some trigger work done to it but I think they put too light of a spring trigger in it so have not been able to shoot it much at all yet.
Taking it to a gun Smith soon.
Thanks for the invite to shoot , my only problem is that every bit of my extra time of is spent with my Son on a mountain chasing some sort of big game.
This coyote took a wrong turn down a ridge while my Son and I where bow hunting for elk. I had already killed a Coyote before with a recurve so thought I should get on with the old 357!

Attachments

• IMG_0269.JPG
    IMG_0269.JPG
    551.4 KB · Views: 24
Man a shoot like that sounds like a lot of fun.
Even though I am a decent hand gun shooter compared to most my buddy's I am no where near your caliber at the distances you are shooting. Most all my shooting has been with that little 357. I have recently picked up a Ruger super blackhawk from the Widow of one of my best friends that past a couple year ago. It has a Leopold scope on it and some trigger work done to it but I think they put too light of a spring trigger in it so have not been able to shoot it much at all yet.
Taking it to a gun Smith soon.
Thanks for the invite to shoot , my only problem is that every bit of my extra time of is spent with my Son on a mountain chasing some sort of big game.
This coyote took a wrong turn down a ridge while my Son and I where bow hunting for elk. I had already killed a Coyote before with a recurve so thought I should get on with the old 357!
HHC is two day match, on Friday and Saturday. Last year we had 6 stages, 3 per day. It's a lot of shooting and a lot of learning. It would be great to have you come and have fun with us. I don't run it, I just love how much I learned in 3 years doing it. And HHC is a non profit, all funds do to charities.

I would for sure have to reload a bunch of amo for this. About how many rounds do you think one would go through and do you shoot your hunting loads as I would assume so, or do you reduce your loads a bit?
Are there different classes?
One of the Revolvers I shoot is the S&W 357 already mentioned that is open sight and possibly a Super Blackhawk 44 with scope
HHC is two day match, on Friday and Saturday. Last year we had 6 stages, 3 per day. It's a lot of shooting and a lot of learning. It would be great to have you come and have fun with us. I don't run it, I just love how much I learned in 3 years doing it. And HHC is a non profit, all funds do to charities.

It became personal with this buck when I managed to stalk close to him twice during bow season and missed twice. First time I rushed and second time I ranged 40 while he was still bedded and I was low z probably picked range from some grass. It was 55, not 40. Arrow went under him.

On the day of gun opener I saw some nice bucks but I wanted to try to get this one first. I saw him in the same area and managed to get at around 100-125 yards. My 44 mag BFR did a great job. Heart shot and he didn't go 10-15 yards before he collapsed. It ended up being 109 yards.
Congrats what optic are you running?

I would for sure have to reload a bunch of amo for this. About how many rounds do you think one would go through and do you shoot your hunting loads as I would assume so, or do you reduce your loads a bit?
Are there different classes?
One of the Revolvers I shoot is the S&W 357 already mentioned that is open sight and possibly a Super Blackhawk 44 with scope
There are 4 different division.

- rimfire (22lr, no more than 10" barrel and it can be iron or red dot/optic but optic can be pistol optic only, rifle optic isn't allowed).

- iron sights revolver/semiautomatic pistol

- optic sights (red dot/scope) revolver/semiautomatic pistol

- single shot pistol

I think there are 8 spots left and you can apply for as many divisions as you like. Everyone is encouraged to apply to all of them. I'm sure you have some rimfire pistol that you could use. I don't have dedicated iron sights revolver but I use full size 9mm pistol for that division, just to have fun.

You can find more at https://handgunhunterscomp.com/

I think you won't need more than 100 rounds per division, maybe even less. I only loaded for my 6.5mm creedmoor single shot Remington XP 100 last year. My loads are kinda mild since I'm new at reloading and am still hesitant to go hot. I was going for a group and was getting 0.23 MOA with it at only 2400fps. That tactic worked, it helped me finish on the first place.

For scoped revolver I used 350 legend bfr, not this one, and I used factory ammo. For this 44 mag bfr i plan to use factory ammo since I am getting really nice groups with cheap ammo, unless I decided to load for it. I wouldn't go with hot loads for that match, no real need.

I hope this helps! Send application in. I look forward meeting you in person. Send me a message if you have any questions.
Congrats what optic are you running?
Thanks. It's a BRUSHLINE PRO 2.5-8X28 BDC PISTOL. That scope has very good ballistic plex and it has target turrets as well.

Last edited:
So I have the irons on my 357 and a scoped Super Blackhawk and also a ruger Mark 3 22lr. Just no single shot so could be worth the trip.
I will have to check with work Monday as I already have two seperate 5 day Black Bear hunts with my oldest Son on the calendar for middle and last week of May. And always have two more weeks planned off with him in September to chase Elk with longbows. Then what ever I can scrounge for Deer in November.
I will find out Monday. Sounds like a good time,

So I have the irons on my 357 and a scoped Super Blackhawk and also a ruger Mark 3 22lr. Just no single shot so could be worth the trip.
I will have to check with work Monday as I already have two seperate 5 day Black Bear hunts with my oldest Son on the calendar for middle and last week of May. And always have two more weeks planned off with him in September to chase Elk with longbows. Then what ever I can scrounge for Deer in November.
I will find out Monday. Sounds like a good time,
I have a CVA Scout single shot that potentially you could use. I could check what factory ammo (6.5 creed) works the best in it and you would just need to buy ammo for it. But even without it you will have a great fun. On Sunday after the match we go shooting prairie dogs as well.

I have a CVA Scout single shot that potentially you could use. I could check what factory ammo (6.5 creed) works the best in it and you would just need to buy ammo for it. But even without it you will have a great fun. On Sunday after the match we go shooting prairie dogs as well.
That was when the famous Ernie Bishop 1000 yard prairie dog was shot last year.