Fireforming .280 AI from .280 Remington brass or .270 Win brass?

longtooth,
The 280 Sherman has the shoulder further forward of that for the 280 AI, so you would have to use a false shoulder on the case before fire forming, just like you would on a straight 280 Rem.

The Whiddon hydro dies make sense to me for any of the Shermans. I've made false shoulders on once fired cases, used a moderate charge of faster powder, filled the rest up with Cream of Wheat and plugged the case with wax. Formed very well. But...if your chamber is set up to have a good crush fit, you can fire factory ammo just fine and not have any case stretch at the head of the case. I doubt any "factory chambered" .280 AI is set up for a crush fit. You then will have case stretch at the web of the case head. Jam method...always works! :)

The Whiddon hydro dies make sense to me for any of the Shermans. I've made false shoulders on once fired cases, used a moderate charge of faster powder, filled the rest up with Cream of Wheat and plugged the case with wax. Formed very well. But...if your chamber is set up to have a good crush fit, you can fire factory ammo just fine and not have any case stretch at the head of the case. I doubt any "factory chambered" .280 AI is set up for a crush fit. You then will have case stretch at the web of the case head. Jam method...always works! :)
The hydro dies for the Shermans, yes, that makes sense. But not for a SAAMI spec'd AI that you can buy factory AI brass for. Just personal opinion.

Jam method is what I do for all mine (except the .300 Ackley, since it's belted, it headspaces off the belt, makes forming really easy). It's a guaranteed perfect form if done right.

Well, I want to back up and say that the SAAMI 280 Ackley Improved does indeed have a "crush fit" as it is, supposedly .014" shorter at the datum line than the older Ackley design. So factory .280 should fireform just great!

id honestly just buy the brass. it will save you a load on the brass, components, power, barrel life, trips to the range, etc. how many pieces do you want to have on hand? if its less than 200, id just buy them pre-done.

id honestly just buy the brass. it will save you a load on the brass, components, power, barrel life, trips to the range, etc. how many pieces do you want to have on hand? if its less than 200, id just buy them pre-done.
Yup I'm thinking the same thing. Although I cannot remember which company that I spoke with, one of them said that they would provide both the regular dies and the hydro-form dies for around $300 +-. Cannot remember which one it was though?

Yup I'm thinking the same thing. Although I cannot remember which company that I spoke with, one of them said that they would provide both the regular dies and the hydro-form dies for around $300 +-. Cannot remember which one it was though?

hornady makes the hydro dies but they still arent 100% formed. i looked at all the options and unless you are talking 500+ pieces it just doesnt make sense. at least to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.