Fair price for Reloader 26 powder?

I would sell it for cost to a friend and what the market will bear to a stranger. If I buy a stock I don't later sell it for the same price just to be a good dude. Time value of that money, inflation, hassle. Probably though you should keep it because even if you're not shooting it now maybe one day you'll get a new cartridge and want to play with it again. I have two 8 pounders and I think the price tags are still on them- $199 and $239, should I sell them for that even though I can't replace them for that?
I didn't say anyone should sell anything for any price. I just stated what I do. Each individual has to make their own determination and to how they want to treat others. The problem I have is guys who sit around and watch for the things that are in high demand to be "for sale" and buy everything they can get their hands on. They don't need it they just buy it so they can turnaround and sell it for an extreme price to fellow hunters and shooters that could really use it! My hope is that if I treat a guy right someday he may be able to do the same for me.

Of course I will Allen👍🤝🍺 that is why we are sent to earth! 🙏🎯
You're one of the good guys I am talking about Reemty J. You didn't hose me, you let me buy something for what you paid for it which was an incredible gesture considering how hard that powder is to get. That's exactly the point I was trying to make.

The basic rules of supply and demand dictate price even when you are trying to be fair about determining value. RE 26 is virtually unavailable and won't be available anytime in the foreseeable future. That makes its current value much higher than it was a few months ago.

If you're selling to friend, that's one thing, but placing it on the open market would call for getting its current value. Selling on LRH might find you somewhere in-between.

Last edited:
Unless you either have absolutely no use whatsoever for that powder or selling to a friend, a GOOD friend that has done you a similar favor in the past, you MUST consider replacement costs.
I once found a local Ma& Pa GS had dozens of 1# jugs H4350 and Varget in stock. I have absolutely no need at all of either powder but I KNEW it would be great powder to have on hand to trade if powders or primers got scarce. So I bought a BUTT load of both. Owners knew me for years and knew I wasn't buying to resell on GB. Sure enough a friend of mine who shoots competitively desperately needed H4350 and I needed IMR4064 and we traded even.

Back when Trump was in office and inflation was LOW single digits and HG ammo finally became plentiful and at reasonable OTC prices. I stumbled across a Cabela's in store 9mm ammo sale on Cabela's Herter's 9mm.
They had pallets and pallets of it for IIRC $7.42/50 OTD or about 2x more than my cost to reload it. I asked if there were any limits on how much I could buy. They said to Cabela's club members no.
I bought an absolute truckload.

Called my friends while filling up a shopping cart, 6 guys to be exact. All USE TO shoot a lot, none reloaded. All had been crying rivers for over a year about ammo costs and being short on HG ammo. Told them I would literally buy all they wanted for them. NOT ONE said yes, all said ammo prices are going to continue to come down they'd buy once OTC prices for 9mm hit $6/50. I said to all of them fine, but if 9mm goes back up to $10-$14/50 don't be calling me expecting to buy 9mm at $7.25/50.

Sure enough ammo went WAY back up to $15/50 and as I expected most were calling me looking to buy 9mm ammo and I said I'll sell it for $3 less before tax a box then the lowest price you can find for name brand 115grn FMJ brass cased ammo which back then put their price at $12-$13/50. They were none to happy with me, but I said how can you expect me to sell you factory ammo for MORE than 150% LESS than it would cost me to replace it? I said if I wanted to right now I could resell it for $14/50 and make 80% profit on it easily. None saw it as me offering to sell them the best price on factory made brass cased 115gn FMJ 9mm they will get for a long long time.

Last edited:
Unless you either have absolutely no use whatsoever for that powder or selling to a friend, a GOOD friend that has done you a similar favor in the past, you MUST consider replacement costs.
I once found a local Ma& Pa GS had dozens of 1# jugs H4350 and Varget in stock. I have absolutely no need at all of either powder but I KNEW it would be great powder to have on hand to trade if powders or primers got scarce. So I bought a BUTT load of both. Owners knew me for years and knew I wasn't buying to resell on GB. Sure enough a friend of mine who shoots competitively desperately needed H4350 and I needed IMR4064 and we traded even.

Back when Trump was in office and inflation was LOW single digits and HG ammo finally became plentiful and at reasonable OTC prices. I stumbled across a Cabela's in store 9mm ammo sale on Cabela's Herter's 9mm.
They had pallets and pallets of it for IIRC $7.42/50 OTD or about 2x more than my cost to reload it. I asked if there were any limits on how much I could buy. They said to Cabela's club members no.
I bought an absolute truckload.

Called my friends while filling up a shopping cart, 6 guys to be exact. All USE TO shoot a lot, none reloaded. All had been crying rivers for over a year about ammo costs and being short on HG ammo. Told them I would literally buy all they wanted for them. NOT ONE said yes, all said ammo prices are going to continue to come down they'd buy once OTC prices for 9mm hit $6/50. I said to all of them fine, but if 9mm goes back up to $10-$14/50 don't be calling me expecting to buy 9mm at $7.25/50.

Sure enough ammo went WAY back up to $15/50 and as I expected most were calling me looking to buy 9mm ammo and I said I'll sell it for $3 less before tax a box then the lowest price you can find for name brand 115grn FMJ brass cased ammo which back then put their price at $12-$13/50. They were none to happy with me, but I said how can you expect me to sell you factory ammo for MORE than 150% LESS than it would cost me to replace it? I said if I wanted to right now I could resell it for $14/50 and make 80% profit on it easily. None saw it as me offering to sell them the best price on factory made brass cased 115gn FMJ 9mm they will get for a long long time.
I quit trying to profit from selling anything shooting related a long time ago. It's a hobby for me, not an investment. I've sold close to 80# of powder and well over 10,000 primers in the last few years while downsizing, and I doubt I've even broke even. A lot of what I have/had came from trade deals anyways, so it's hard to really put a cash value on it. That's part of why I wanted to get opinions on what the going rate is.

One of these days I'll just have a "shooters garage sale" and just sell off all the stuff I don't use, for a good price to the first person who makes a fair offer.

I've been buying a lot from various place the last two years. Going rate picked up has ranged from $75-100. Last time I bought in an online store was 18 months ago and it was $85 to my door per pound.

Recent Posts