Fair price for Reloader 26 powder?

The last time Powder Valley had it in stock, it was going for $70/lb.

Now, it is nearly unobtainable, so whatever you feel it is worth to sell to a friend. Like ice water in a desert, every day it becomes more valuable.

Well it depends on what you PAID and if you want to make money off of it. Are you going to buy another Powder? so think of replacement costs.
I traded for the powder a few years ago as part of a bigger package, so I don't really have a number for what I paid for it. That's what makes it a little tricky. I'm starting to downsize the supplies I have on hand anyways, so don't really need to trade my way into anything else either.

The number in my head was around $45-50 a pound, so it sounds like I'm in the right ball park.

I traded for the powder a few years ago as part of a bigger package, so I don't really have a number for what I paid for it. That's what makes it a little tricky. I'm starting to downsize the supplies I have on hand anyways, so don't really need to trade my way into anything else either.

The number in my head was around $45-50 a pound, so it sounds like I'm in the right ball park.
If you paid $80 or $90 per pound you probably should sell for those prices.

You are a real good person to sell at the prices you listed. Yes a good FAIR price ($45-$50 per lb.). If I lived by you, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Other people know that R-26 is WANTED so they are jacking up the prices to make extreme profits. I see $80, $90, $100 per pound. Well, it is a free market, and you can charge whatever you want.
You seem like an intelligent and decent person and whatever you sell the R26 for I am sure the other person will get a FAIR deal.
If Jill and I could ever help you out, please contact us.
God Bless and GLWS!
Thanks
Len & Jill

I sold a high dollar component rifle for $600 a couple months ago.....
But sold the 6 1# RL26 for $500 a pound......
I think he got a bargain.....lol
But I also drove about 1700 miles to acquire said powder.....

I just paid $69.99 before sales tax for a pound RL22, guy in line bought 6 lbs-said he wanted RL23 but had to take what he could get. RL26 is a very versatile powder but never found it to be the best for consistency.

I have two , 1lb containers of Rel26 I would let go. Would trade 1lb of Rel 26 for 2lbs of Ramshot Magnum. Just for info. Ramshot Magnum delivers the exact same velocity & accuracy in my Savage 260 Rem , & my semi custom 6.5-06 A square. At 100yds , driving either the Badlands Precision 6.5 125gr, or the Barnes 127gr LRX, they hit side by side. Almost touching. Only difference, it takes about 1/2 to 1 gr more powder with the Ramshot Magnum. Just a tick slower burning with Magnum. Who wants to trade?

I'd say since you are asking all the gentlemen here your answer is the same as you paid plus your troubles.

I went in a gun shop once and found some barnes I knew my .257 loved. This was right when copper was going up like crazy. He tried to charge me replacement cost vs the tagged price!! I really wanted them so I asked for a minute. I slowly walked around the whole shop while he watched. I walked up to the counter and reached out, shook his hand and as the look of bewilderment crossed his face I decided to clear it up for him. "Thank you but no thanks, I'll never stop here again''

Fair market and gouging are very different.
The Right_Choice

I'd say since you are asking all the gentlemen here your answer is the same as you paid plus your troubles.

I went in a gun shop once and found some barnes I knew my .257 loved. This was right when copper was going up like crazy. He tried to charge me replacement cost vs the tagged price!! I really wanted them so I asked for a minute. I slowly walked around the whole shop while he watched. I walked up to the counter and reached out, shook his hand and as the look of bewilderment crossed his face I decided to clear it up for him. "Thank you but no thanks, I'll never stop here again''

Fair market and gouging are very different.
The Right_Choice
I couldn't agree more. I always passed on what I have for the price I paid. If I think I will have to replace it I don't sell it. I'm not in it to make money off of fellow shooters in hopes that someday someone will do the same for me. Some of the stuff you see these days is just ridiculous.

I would sell it for cost to a friend and what the market will bear to a stranger. If I buy a stock I don't later sell it for the same price just to be a good dude. Time value of that money, inflation, hassle. Probably though you should keep it because even if you're not shooting it now maybe one day you'll get a new cartridge and want to play with it again. I have two 8 pounders and I think the price tags are still on them- $199 and $239, should I sell them for that even though I can't replace them for that?

I just bought a couple 8#ers of RL23 for $545/ea, plus 150 mile round trip to get them. Averages out to $67.81/lb. And RL23 has been a bit more available than RL26.

Almost makes me want to sell my RL26...

I got a jug of RL17 about 6 months ago for $231.

Non existent now.

I did see (2) 1lb bottles on the shelf at a somewhat local store.
When I asked how much "$90 each".

Told him it looked good on his shelf, and walked out.

Well, I told the guy I thought $400 for 7.5 pounds of Reloader 26 and an unopened bottle of Retumbo was a fair price. The response I got was "that's awfully high". I told him no worries, I'll just throw it back on the shelf and he was quick to tell me he never said no, just that it's expensive! lol

I'll see if he shows up on Saturday when we plan to meet. Then I'll watch to see if he just turns around and sells it for $75 per pound.

Recent Posts