Factory Bullet Recommendations for 6.5 Creedmoor

Berger bullets are my go-to bullets, but the 156 might be too heavy to take full advantage of what it is designed for in 6.5 CM. I am not saying you cannot use it, but I would use the 130, 135, or 140 instead. Please understand that the Berger bullets are designed as fragmenting bullets.

Whichever bullet choice you choose, know its limitations at POI for the game you will hunt.

Understood, thank you for the info!

Pronghorn, Sheep, Goats, and Mule Deer. Up to 500 yards maybe 600, but not beyond that. Thanks!

ELD-X all day. You'll still have 1900-2000fps impact velocity and 1150-1250ftbls of energy depending on MV, and they're very consistent at distance. As long as it shoots atleast 1MOA out of your rifle I'd use nothing else.

Going to give these a shot this Fall.

Attachments

• IMG_1872.jpeg
    IMG_1872.jpeg
    268 KB · Views: 30
An important question is, what would be max distance?
True but I'll state it one more time. Max distance for hunting is much different than max for target. If the bullet had a min gps that it functions that distance is it's max. I push my hammers hard and my eld and Bergers. No competition when it comes to paper way out but in hunting the Berger and Hornady hit the min fps they will function only 30-40 yards farther in distance than my hammers. But they get significantly more drop at most hunting scenarios. Say 400 yards. Plus as a once big time bc chaser I can say I've take some large game with the creedmore betgers and Hornady are not even in the same ballpark as far as performance on big heavy game as the hammers

Use whatever shoots we'll in your rifle. No need for a break in on barrels, that's BS! If it's a shooter it's a shooter. As for hunting ammo. I'm a Berger fan, if you want more speed out of the 6.5 Creedmoor, go with 130 class bullets. Most are 140-143 gr for hunting. I'm running 140 VLD's , it's a tack driver, I load my own though
Barrel break in is important if your doing drops. How do you make a drop chart when your barrel can speed up as much as 100 fps after break in?

That will only put you well off target at 500 yards.

Berger 130 OTM ammo.
The 130 OTM wrecks game. From 160 to 771, nothing has walked away from a well placed shot with them. Pronghorn, Coues, Mulies, coyotes, etc.
This man is one of the very few I take advice from when it comes to game. Bergers do work but I was not happy with them on less than ideal shots on heavy skinned African game. Let me date first that my sample size is small for these compared to Hornady eld and hammers. So take mine with a grain of salt. I trust lance. If he says they work they indeed do.

Berger bullets are my go-to bullets, but the 156 might be too heavy to take full advantage of what it is designed for in 6.5 CM. I am not saying you cannot use it, but I would use the 130, 135, or 140 instead. Please understand that the Berger bullets are designed as fragmenting bullets.

Whichever bullet choice you choose, know its limitations at POI for the game you will hunt.

156 is imo indeed way to big for the creedmore case capacity. I think lance nailed it with the 130 class weight. I also prefer 120-130gr for the creedmore

Barrel break in is important if your doing drops. How do you make a drop chart when your barrel can speed up as much as 100 fps after break in?

That will only put you well off target at 500 yards.
Barrel Break in is a myth. Doing Break in to improve the performance of a barrel is BS. Barrels always speed up and then slow down as you decrease the pressure and or increase the pressure from the barrel being worn down. You are confusing Break-in for a new barrel (taking out any imperfections, filling in the little spots with carbon or copper, taking out burrs, etc.. that's not the same as a barrel speeding up because of less friction.