Explain How 7 PRC Has Tighter Tolerances VS 7 MM Rem Mag, without bashing any company

All hype.
Plays to the "new toy" crowd.
If factory rifle makers would have just spun up 1:8" to 1:8.5" barrels on a 7RM 5-10 years ago, there would be no need for the 7PRC.
Agree. The OEM's back then thought that the 7RM shooting the 150 core loct was the cat's meow. Remington offered the 175 core loct for options on weight.
In 1963, they did not see that one day we'd be shooting 180-195 gr Bergers in matches and hunting.
The 7RM with a fast twist is an accurate, potent killer that I see no need for a 7PRC next to my 7RM in my safe. It's a "repeat" in my view.
For a guy buying his first 7mm the PRC is one of the options.

Really the main "advantage" is the longer head height. You can load the longer high bc bullets in a tradional caliber but ogive of the bullet may be below the case mouth to fit in oal restrictions of magazine. For ex, Some but not all magazines will allow >3.34" so can seat bullets out in 7rm but the design (shorter case) of the 7prc allows these high bc bullets to fit in any 3.34 mag. Same for other new rounds whether designed to fit in 2.86, 3.0, 3.34, etc magazines

The seating bullet deeper in powder taking up space is a myth. Shortening the case reduces powder capacity more than seating bullets more deeply in a longer case, but the increased head height allows to keep the ogive out of the case neck. This was main driver of the 6.5 cm vs 260 rem in 2.86 mag. All the new rounds do the same and the crap about powder space etc is marketing BS

Lou

The 7 PRC is a very accurate round for, a few REASONS and, I'm NOT going into it, as LOTS of Info, on it's development, IS already, "out there" !
There are Tons of, VERY Happy, 6mm & 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 & 7 PRC, Shooters ( All that, matters ) and, most of, Them,.. "Know", WHY !

Last edited:
More people want to shoot longer ranges now than 10-15 years ago, trends always start with customs jobs. Factory's rifles follow afterwards.
It is kind of a dichotomy there are a lot more factory rifles that can shot accurately farther and that people want to shoot longer farther shots while hunting. What I have seen is in general most gun ranges are typically shorter at least in Colorado, than they were in the 1990s. So the reliance on ballistic programs although sound, my preference still is to shoot at the distance I will harvest at. Hopefully the sport of shooting and hunting will continue to get passed down in spite of the political rhetoric.

I think head spacing off of the shoulder instead of the belt is an advantage by itself that would lead to "tighter tolerances" but I'm not sure there are other tolerances that are being accounted for. I like straighter bodies and sharper shoulders so the PRC speaks more to me than the Rem Mag in every way. I got rid of my last belted magnum more than a decade ago and I don't see myself going back with the new available cartridges.
My own (albeit anecdotal) experience with 7mm RM is that *consistently* resizing belted magnum cases is considerably more of a pain and requires more setup and finesse than with cases that headspace off the shoulder. While I had a lot of success in the filed with my 7mm RM, it was always a bit finicky to load for, and after a while that took the pleasure out of shooting it for me. I've found the 7mm SAUM much easier to reload for, at least in terms of getting the sizing results and consistency that I want. Moreover, I was only able to get 2--3 reloadings out of my 7mm RM brass due to the bulge that forms in front of the belt and never gets resized after each firing. Granted, that could be partly a function of the brass I was using (Hornady, Remington), but I think it's also a function of the design of belted cases, which in my view is antiquated in comparison to non-belted designs.

All hype.
If factory rifle makers would have just spun up 1:8" to 1:8.5" barrels on a 7RM 5-10 years ago, there would be no need for the 7PRC.
What specifically do you mean by "hype"? My understanding of what you said is that if they gave the seven RM faster twist barrels 5 to 10 years ago… Would that have been hype? The problem is gunmakers did not give them a faster twist, in reality they probably couldn't because people use lighter bullets in the seven RM than they do in the seven PRC. I don't disagree with your premise/statement but just because a company finds a niche to fill and they spend their R&R money on it and there's a new generation who can appreciate it. I don't see the problem.

All hype.
Why do folks act like something new is not needed or a bad thing. Factory rifle makers weren't putting 1/8 twist on 7 mags 10 years ago because guys weren't shooting heavy high bc 7mm bullets. Fyi Browning is now offering a lot of their 7's in 1/8 because of this. The prc is a modern 7 mm magnum round. No unnecessary belt to cause helacious brass growth on the first firing and a better throat design. Also the neck is longer which helps keep the long bullets out the powder column. It was designed around the 175 eldx bullet. When the 7 mag came out in the 60's guys were mainly shooting 140-160 gr bullets.

The release of new cartridges seems to be what the "originals" should have been. Just add faster twist, more freebore, longer heavier higher BC bullets to oldie but goody and guess what you end up with? Plus not having to beg for brass.
This is why my 264WM is far superior in every way over the PRC, no matter which one you use as the parent…29.5" 8" twist barrel, custom throat/leade dimension and no taper. The taper is important on SAAMI chambers because originally, the cartridge was designed to run 'bore rider' bullets to reduce pressure…many have forgotten this point.

Cheers.

This is why my 264WM is far superior in every way over the PRC, no matter which one you use as the parent…29.5" 8" twist barrel, custom throat/leade dimension and no taper. The taper is important on SAAMI chambers because originally, the cartridge was designed to run 'bore rider' bullets to reduce pressure…many have forgotten this point.

Cheers.
So the newer cartridges in factory chambers with factory ammo are better?

The 7 PRC is a very accurate round for, a few REASONS and, I'm NOT going into it, as LOTS of Info, on it's development, IS already, "out there" !
There are Tons of, VERY Happy, 6mm & 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 & 7 PRC, Shooters ( All that, matters ) and, most of, Them,.. "Know", WHY !

The industry has come a long way.

Can you imagine if Remington had worked up factory loads that were intended to be extremely accurate in their rifles?

The 7mm RM is a cartridge from another age, designed with the unnecessary affectation of a belt and a ridiculously short neck. Conceived when short for caliber bullets were used and MV and point blank range were thought the goal. The PRC leapfrogs all those antiquated attributes and goes with long for caliber bullets in a case designed to deliver greater potential for accuracy with factory ammo and off the shelf rifles. The deniers of progress would also say the 308 was total unnecessary because you could put the 30-30 cartridge in a custom bolt rifle and hand load and do as well as the silly new 308 cartridge. If you like your short neck, belted & designed for short bullets cartridge then happy for you, but don't try selling (DON'T TRY SELLING me Crazy ALL FULL UP) the PRC offers nothing new or improved. Kudos for Remington for doing one thing right, sounds like the RemMag is running with close tolerances.

Cheers.
Yes it was! Iread that in a magazine article a really long time ago! right after 264 came out can't remember the year though!

It is shocking at how many people want to shoot 140-150g bullets in their 7 Rem Mag, Not to mention the 160-ish class of guys. They opt for speed(Impact velocity is a new concept).

The Marketing and Production of factory ammo has a challenge in catching up in the 7 PRC.