Expander mandrel on primed brass?

@quandary & @MagnumManiac - How do you apply your graphite to case necks?
I use 21 Century Moly Powder. See pictures below. One of the containers has a "media", essentially #6 or #7 shot silica balls. You add the powder, other container is extra moly powder container. Close the lid and shake it. The powder is then dispersed within the media, lasts hundreds of rounds before you need to add new powder. Dip the case head neck into the media, tap the side of the jar case head down into the media and you are ready to go.

IMG_3279 (1).jpeg
IMG_3280.jpeg

I am going to try using an expander mandrel for the first time and I'm still new to reloading. I did a search in this forum and found a lot of good info. However, when someone asked: "The expander mandrel is the last step before seating the bullet?" and the reply was "Yes", that made me wonder whether I should take that statement literally since that didn't make sense to me. Wouldn't that be difficult with powder in the case since otherwise that would be the last step before seating?.
I have some primed brass and would like to use the expander (before proceeding with adding powder). Could there be pressure build-up when using the expander mandrel since the case is 'sealed' with the primer in place and wouldn't the mandrel actually create an air tight seal at the neck at the same time? Could that either cause the primer to pop out or loosen, and/or cause the case to bulge out?
have you went through this site a lot of info https://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/reloading/complete-precision-case-prep/

Everyone has a favorite process, mine is:
Decap
Primer pocket clean
Resize
Mandrel
Clean / tumble
Light ID debur
Prime
Charge
Seat bullet

I prefer the brass clean of all lubes when I charge it, I want nothing foreign in the brass when I load it.
Reloaders are quirky and superstitious 😊

Good luck

Your mandrel operation should follow you sizing operation if you're using something like one-shot or imperial die wax. That is, assuming you tumble them clean afterwards.

If you use graphite powder, it can be done right before charging the case with powder if you wanted to. If you don't anneal I wouldn't really bother, the spring back at a certain point can't really be overcome and it just reverts back to the sized dimension.

Sinclair/ imperial graphite lube and application media are what I use. I have also used Molybdenum powder with the application media.

I have, however, recently started using imperial resizing wax instead of spray on lubricants. So, I use an bore swab 1 caliber undersized, rub my fingers in the wax and twist them lightly around the swab to permeate the fibers. Then I run the swab in the unsized case neck with a twist before using any excess at the case mouth to lube the rest of the case. I reapply wax to the brush about every 3 cases, which, admittedly leaves a little too much on the fingers for resizing, so I wipe the excess from the fingers on an old slick lens cloth. I have found wiping a case with said cloth is actually a decent application method now, Lol.

I'm sure, like me, many of you are curious from time to time how others reloading process goes.

My General process:

If covered in filth like mud or something I start with tumbling in walnut. Otherwise:

-Deprime with decapping die
-Clean primer pocket with rcbs prep station
-Into the Amp annealer
-Lube
-Resize
*** when using my SAC bushing die with SAC expander mandrel I skip separate mandrel operations and lube inside case neck when lubing the case.

-Neck lube (if using dry lube)
-Mandrel
-Tumble in rice 2 hours (outlet timer)
-Remove tumbling media
-Check primer flash hole for media
-Trim, chamfer and deburr if needed
-Prime
-Charge
-Seat bullets

If I'm not shooting right way or soon after loading, I seat the bullets long by 30-50 thousandths for storage; and then, before I head out to shoot, I seat them to length.

Last edited:
I am going to try using an expander mandrel for the first time and I'm still new to reloading. I did a search in this forum and found a lot of good info. However, when someone asked: "The expander mandrel is the last step before seating the bullet?" and the reply was "Yes", that made me wonder whether I should take that statement literally since that didn't make sense to me. Wouldn't that be difficult with powder in the case since otherwise that would be the last step before seating?.
I have some primed brass and would like to use the expander (before proceeding with adding powder). Could there be pressure build-up when using the expander mandrel since the case is 'sealed' with the primer in place and wouldn't the mandrel actually create an air tight seal at the neck at the same time? Could that either cause the primer to pop out or loosen, and/or cause the case to bulge out?
If your cases are already primed, you could still use the expander. Carefully. If they are primed and powdered, dump the powder in a scoop, expand, them pour the powder back in. Make sure the cases don't have any brass or debris down in the bottom left over from expanding process.

In the future, Best Safety Practices dictate doing ALL brass prep on a naked case. Then prime, powder, seat, and shoot.

DON'T TEMPT FATE. I know 2 people that have had reloading bench detonations after short cutting safety processes. One guy lost 2 fingers, the other still has deep scars on his chin after 20+ years.

Stay safe and have fun!

Your mandrel operation should follow you sizing operation if you're using something like one-shot or imperial die wax. That is, assuming you tumble then clean afterwards.

If you use graphite powder, I can be done right before charging the case with powder if you wanted to. If you don't anneal I wouldn't really bother, the spring back at a certain point can't really be overcome and it just reverts back to the sized dimension.

Sinclair/ imperial graphite lube and application media are what I use. I have also used Molybdenum powder with the application media.

I have, however, recently started using imperial resizing wax instead of spray on lubricants. So, I use an bore swab 1 caliber undersized, rub my fingers in the wax and twist them lightly around the swab to permeate the fibers. Then I run the swab in the unsized case neck with a twist before using any excess at the case mouth to lube the rest of the case. I reapply wax to the brush about every 3 cases, which, admittedly leaves a little too much on the fingers for resizing, so I wipe the excess on the fingers on an old slick lens cloth. I have found wiping a case with said cloth is actually a decent application method now, Lol.

I'm sure, like me, many of you are curios from time to time how others process goes.
General process

If covered in filth like mud or something I start with tumbling in walnut. Otherwise:

-Deprime with decapping die
-Clean primer pocket with rcbs prep station
-Into the Amp annealer
-Lube
-Resize
*** when using my SAC bushing die with SAC expander mandrel I skip separate mandrel operations and lube inside case neck when luring the case.

-Neck lube (if using dry lube)
-Mandrel
-Tumble in rice 2 hours (outlet timer)
-Remove tumbling media
-Check primer flash hole for media
-Trim, chamfer and deburr if needed
-Prime
-Charge
-Seat bullets

If I'm not shooting right way or soon after loading, I seat the bullets long by 30-50 thousandths for storage; and then, before I head out to shoot, I seat them to length.
I wasn't planning on annealing as I don't have the equipment, and I am still new and learning. I wonder if anyone knows if there is a different amount of spring back with nickel cases since they are supposedly harder to begin with? Do people anneal nickel cases? I don't know if I've run across any pictures of that yet.