Elk Hunting last week

Headed back up the mountain on Monday for the final archery hunt. This will be the full on rut period so it could be some pretty good filming.

Well, things didn't go as planned. I called in 9 bulls on Tuesday and wound up shooting the wrong bull in one of my sets. It all boiled down to a nice 330 bull in a rut group of 8 cows and 4 smaller bulls. This 6x6 and the big bull were going at each other and ignoring me. I shot some decent film, I hope, of the push into the group and the smaller rag horns going crazy. I then ran out of memory card space, unkowningly! So the whole time I thought I was filming and pushing into this herd. So, to get the bulls attention I stole his whole herd of cows......which is very risky. Risky in the sense that when the cows come the bulls have to be on their tail to cut them off or those smart cows will bust ya. By the time the 2 fighters figured out I had their cows, the cows were now about 10 feet from me and all heck broke loose when the lead cow finally got my scent. I was able to stop the cows but I had a split second decision to make. I had to thread my arrow through a mess of timber at 55 yards or the gig was up. I could see the brow tines and the vitals, I was sure this was the big bull, so I sent the arrow. About 100 yards later I discovered I was wrong. I shot the wrong bull.
This is a young bull and very large for his age. I am pretty sure he is the offspring of the big bull I shot last year. In 2 years he would have been massive. Bummer.

Attachments

• 2014 Archery Elk 6x6.jpg
    2014 Archery Elk 6x6.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 108
  • Horses.jpg
    Horses.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Did you really say "bummer?" Ain't nothing wrong with that. Nice bull, great country, good clean kill-----ain't no bummer about that.

Congrats!

Randy

Bummer in the sense he was still was growing and had such strong genetics. There is another young one with similar genes as well I hope to see again.

Went back up and located a wolf pack. Whack

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 145
More elk

Attachments

• IMG_0302.jpg
    IMG_0302.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0301.jpg
    IMG_0301.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0298.jpg
    IMG_0298.jpg
    331.3 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0293.jpg
    IMG_0293.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 120
Few more

Attachments

• IMG_0305.jpg
    IMG_0305.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0308.jpg
    IMG_0308.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0311.jpg
    IMG_0311.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0314.jpg
    IMG_0314.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 108
Man Brent, seeing that many bulls so close makes me rethink my long range hunting. Hey, would you be interested in trading your bow for a fantastic Savage 6.5x284??? Just kidding.

Ha ha. Man, I like long range rifles too. Built 7 now. Finishing a 6.5 saum for a guy right now.
My passion is archery elk tho. Nothing like it!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.