Eld vs berger extreme range comparison

but 710 is NOT elr...its just shooting.

Correct but your original statement is where I had the problem. To him maybe 710 is elr shooting and depending on caliber and conditions I'd agree with him. The category may be 1000 plus yards but the originators post was asking about bullet performance differences so if the man has something to offer just let him offer it.

At the end of the day, a person's experience will dictate what a person will use on game.
My experience with Berger bullets is two fold. First, the Berger bullets say 1800-2000 FPS in the calibers I use have not opened up to be effective on game. Second, Berger bullets at close range have a tendency to blow up. Still killed the animal but gave me concern for if that animal would have been an elk and the shot would have been a shoulder shot.
Thick brush and not a lot of penetration gave me concern too. Now I have used a variety of bullets, and to me, the ELD perform better across the board on game for what I want it to do.

In closing, if I could get my Nosler partition to shoot as good as the other 2, this conversation would not exist because anybody who has shot a partition will tell you they work flawlessly.

Happy hunting... now time to enjoy some football games.

Last edited:
ONE LAST TIME IN SIMPLE ENGLISH
on this forum, no one cares what YOUR VERSION OF ELR IS,
on this FORUM, by definition, IT IS 1000 YARDS and over.
it is a rule, NOT AN OPINION.
that was all i was pointing out till you butted in.
go read the rules and then go away.

Correct but your original statement is where I had the problem. To him maybe 710 is elr shooting and depending on caliber and conditions I'd agree with him. The category may be 1000 plus yards but the originators post was asking about bullet performance differences so if the man has something to offer just let him offer it.

ONE LAST TIME IN SIMPLE ENGLISH
on this forum, no one cares what YOUR VERSION OF ELR IS,
on this FORUM, by definition, IT IS 1000 YARDS and over.
it is a rule, NOT AN OPINION.
that was all i was pointing out till you butted in.
go read the rules and then go away.

The origional post was asking about bullet differences at at long ranges, if the only experience someone has with the bullets mentioned is at 720 yards that's fine, he may be able to help the origional poster out answering his question, so mind your own **** business and quit trolling

you sir are the troll.
not your thread.
your opinion not inline with forum rules,
soo troll please leave.
The origional post was asking about bullet differences at at long ranges, if the only experience someone has with the bullets mentioned is at 720 yards that's fine, he may be able to help the origional poster out answering his question, so mind your own **** business and quit trolling

Of course cutting edge is used in king of 2 mile. Who else mass produces .375 and .416 caliber bullets with the bc needed to shoot that far? They are specialized. Other business with crop up, url shooting is still in its infancy compared to 600 and 1000yrd benchrest. If you are putting hornady and Berger at the same level regarding competition match bullets your nuts. All guns are different but Berger just makes a more consistent bullet, that's just a fact. If you don't believe me break out the calipers, comparator, and scales and decide for yourself.

I wasn't just referring to the size of the rifle. You pointed out that it's the consistency of Berger. This by those standards no matter the caliber the cutting edge or now hammers should be the only thing people shoot. Was just pointing out the flawed logic of "look what everyone else is doing that wins".
Got no dog in the fight as I have never used Berger and have moved to hammers.
Now if you take your measuring tools and compare the hammers to Berger like you do with eld and use the same logic you stated above. You should throw out all your Berger no matter the caliber cause I'd bet money you can't beat the hammers or cutting edge in all those departments.

Eld's have been really good for killing at long range in my experience.
I've had 250 .338 Bergers fail to expand on targets between 800-1200 yards, where Eld's performed perfectly.
For long range hunting I'd take Hornady any day

I just posted this in another thread. I've never shot Berger before but always wanted to. One common thing I found between all my guides for African game is at some point of talking Bullets they all said in different ways they hate customers using them and have lost more game.
One claimed they were like mechanical broadheads when they work they are amazing but when they fail it's a very costly game animal. That's very telling when they all say it. Main reason I've never tried them.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.