Effective Game Killing

I'm just saying.
Remember the Barbour creek kill thread? People joined a long range hunting forum, and then became flabbergasted at the sight of someone actually doing it.

Dumb.

My choice is to troll them. Now that it's publicly known, the balls in their court buddy.
I was hoping that was not the case, but now, I see your point - go for it. 🤣

It is not worth my oxygen to argue or convince anyone because, as noted ...
These articles are for open-minded folks willing and able to learn and add to their knowledge base.

Great article, Ive had this one bookmarked for a few years now but his entire website has lots of good reading on calibers and their histories.
As for energy, I still primarily go by [impact] velocity knowing the energy will be there with any common respectable caliber for the game size. Its my understanding that the water in muscle hydraulically opens or mushrooms the bullet and its the speed thats needed to raise the hydraulics enough, perhaps an engineer can correct or compliment that theory. IOW, the energy is needed to penetrate, but its a result of the velocity or rather more simply... most common calibers have way more than enough to worry about energy.

Last edited:
Velocity is what does the damage.
I'm with you!
Just the same as TORQUE is what engines produce to create motion
…and now I'm not. Wut?
How is it the same as torque?
, not HORSEPOWER as many believe. Just a fictional meaningless number….

Cheers.

Horsepower is how fast a vehicle can deliver torque ( and some gear efficiency stuff) in max output. It's most definitely not a meaningless number in the auto community. Especially if you're doing dyno testing.

Horsepower is how fast a vehicle can deliver torque ( and some gear efficiency stuff) in max output. It's most definitely not a meaningless number in the auto community. Especially if you're doing dyno testing.
Oh really. A dyno measures TORQUE.
Horsepower is a mathematical equation using torque and rpm to provide a fictional number. There is no such thing as horsepower.

Cheers.
P.S.
I am a qualified engine builder.

Oh really. A dyno measures TORQUE.
Horsepower is a mathematical equation using torque and rpm to provide a fictional number. There is no such thing as horsepower.

Cheers.
P.S.
I am a qualified engine builder.
On which dyno? A chassis dyno rollers can measure both…
Regardless, you're still displaying work, off RPM and torque input to the dyno…doesn't matter if it's through known load or HP/torque crossover at like 5000 rpm.

So if you know how the horse power number is generated, then you know it's a thing…how is it a made up number? That's a circular response..

But what I really want to know it's how torque is like MV related to tissue damage….?

Velocity, energy, and momentum are all terminal numbers that are not made up.

@dfanonymous
Why was HORSEPOWER ever invented as a measure of engine power?

Cheers.
Steam engines to horses.

The issue is if it was a made up useless imaginary figure, why is it still used today by engineers in modern cars?

Don't worry. I'll answer that. It's a ubiquitous metric.

Much like velocity, energy and momentum. Metrics. But still, they do not account for bullet construction/design and form factor into the killing equation. None of which is imaginary.

Do we have a hydraulic Engineer here on the forum? Like to hear your thoughts.
I'm not an engineer of any kind. I can say blood flow in the lungs varies, and pools a bit in some situations.

Maybe some day an optic will be able to tell us about where blood/fluid is relative to the shot placement.

So far, for others to help understand energy, shocks, blood flow, shot placement, etc., interrelationships ...

1. A (hydraulic) engineer is required to explain Sir Isaac Newton's Laws (Physics).
2. A medical doctor/forensic scientist.

OMG, I am wondering what else is needed.

@Deputy819, do you know if similar articles are written for "Idiots" or "Dummies"? 🤣 By the way, I like your energy transfer challenge. 😍

I am surprised the dead-is-dead guys have not chimed in yet. They are my kind of guys.:cool:

Last edited:
Any idea what impact velocity was? Goes to question of KE,
No idea, and I'm not sure how to calculate it. My MV is LR verified 2596 avg so I assume the BC is lower.

The published data from mfg is:
Bullet length 1.41"
Real World LabRadar verified BC's
275gr =0.36 @ 2800 FPS

My hold over cheat sheet uses the published BC but only goes up to 300yds I put the 4 MOA hash on the top of the shoulder and hit about 4 o'clock just behind. I was shooting from a ladder stand so there's that. If using the published BC @ 2800 is close enough for the KE value like it seemed to be for hold over it can be pulled off any ballistic calculator.

Attachments

• IMG_4924.jpeg
    IMG_4924.jpeg
    246.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
So far, for others to help understand energy, shocks, blood flow, shot placement, etc., interrelationships ...

1. A (hydraulic) engineer is required to explain Sir Isaac Newton's Laws (Physics).
2. A medical doctor/forensic scientist.

OMG, I am wondering what else is needed.

@Deputy819, do you know if similar articles are written for "Idiots" or "Dummies"? 🤣 By the way, I like your energy transfer challenge. 😍

I am surprised the dead-is-dead guys have not chimed in yet. They are my kind of guys.:cool:
Walter Reed does/did ballistic testing for wound analysis maybe they have open source publications

No idea, and I'm not sure how to calculate it. My MV is LR verified 2596 avg so I assume the BC is lower.

The published data from mfg is:
Bullet length 1.41"
Real World LabRadar verified BC's
275gr =0.36 @ 2800 FPS

My cheat sheet uses the published data but only goes up to 300yds I put the 4 MOA hash on the top of the shoulder and hit about 4 o'clock just behind. I was shooting from a ladder stand so there's that.
@331Y (zero altitude, 2596 FPS MV per LR) = ~1841 FPS/2070 FT-LBS

No expert on anything here. Forestry Degree. But I have often wondered how twist rate ie centrifugal force in the bullet relates to bullet upset at impact. Not sure but I think that's the premise for giving the new Blackout an extremely fast twist of 1 x 3" as with subsonic velocity is lacking. If spinning one fast enough will make it disintegrate in mid air. I would think it would have to have some effect at impact.

No expert on anything here. Forestry Degree. But I have often wondered how twist rate ie centrifugal force in the bullet relates to bullet upset at impact. Not sure but I think that's the premise for giving the new Blackout an extremely fast twist of 1 x 3" as with subsonic velocity is lacking. If spinning one fast enough will make it disintegrate in mid air. I would think it would have to have some effect at impact.
I do not have his books, but Bryan Litz covers it extensively.

Recent Posts