Effective Game Killing

LOlL, I see it, but that is still your choice to make.
I'm just saying.
Remember the Barbour creek kill thread? People joined a long range hunting forum, and then became flabbergasted at the sight of someone actually doing it.

Dumb.

My choice is to troll them. Now that it's publicly known, the balls in their court buddy.

Last edited:
I know this can be controversial, esp. to the naysayers, because some do not believe in (kinetic) energy transfer and shock, but that's OK. These articles are for open-minded folks willing and able to learn and add to their knowledge base. IMHO, Nathan Foster of https://www.ballisticstudies.com/ effectively captured the interrelationships of:

- How bullets kill
- Mechanism > kinetic energy transfer (Newton's Law of Physics)
- Fast killing
- Hydrostatic/hydraulic shock
- Wound factors
- Bullet weight, diameter, construction
- Shot placement

Part 1, https://www.norma-ammunition.com/en...ted-hunting/ammunition/effective-game-killing

Part 2, https://www.norma-ammunition.com/en...ting/ammunition/effective-game-killing-part-2
I "THINK" its a matter of how we express, and prioritize KE.

When we leave out the "transfer" portion it becomes a bit nebulous. If we include "transfer" it becomes much more difficult, than a simple equation, or number.

Pick your poison.

1. Hit light & fast with frontal opening bullets with solid shank follow through.
2. Hit slower with more mass and entire bullet acts as penetrating shank.

Major difference is mechanism of injury whether there is a long permanent cavity, or a large temporary cavity. Radial disruption vs linear penetration. Most bang flops happen with the latter as they can cause CNS disruption from temporary cavity expanding to snap spine. Linear/permanent cavity punches through and animal dies at some point, a good hit within 50-75 yards. They can run and bleed out further, but the blood trailing is easy.

I've found hitting game with light & fast Bang Flop at greater rate, but if that large temp cavity doesn't get put in the right spot, the animal travels as far as the low/slow permanent cavity bullet, but the difference is lack of blood trail with the light & fast bullet.

There. That's all there is to it…

275gn 2600fps 330yds
Pretty **** near a bang flop. The blood spot between the legs was the hit. Muzzle Loader.

Attachments

• IMG_4939.jpeg
    IMG_4939.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 15
More details required, that sounds like a nice bullet weight. What cartridge, what bullet, did the bullet exit……."enquiring minds"! 😁 memtb

PS: Congratulations on a fine deer! 👍👍
The bullet .45 (no sabot required) did exit at the neck shoulder junction on the off side. I'm working on recovering the bullet, may be deer may be earth deformation. Curious minds want to know.

The bullet .45 (no sabot required) did exit at the neck shoulder junction on the off side. I'm working on recovering the bullet, may be deer may be earth deformation. Curious minds want to know.
Any idea what impact velocity was? Goes to question of KE,

I like nathans work. If you go to his site you will see bullet descriptions by caliber with terminal performance. For example in the 6.5 sweede he lists the old 140 amax as an effective long range bullet. Of course this applies to the creed 260 etc. I have found his results to be similar to mine with the bullets we have both used.
Nathan is the man when it comes to bullet performance. I've been reading his works for quite some time. He also compares bullet effectiveness as body weight increases in game which I find interesting and useful. I too find his work to mimic closely what I see when using the same projectiles at the same velocities in similar sized game.