Effect of Suppressor on Hand Loads

Bowfisher

Settle down...
Lead gas in u'r face w/traditional cans.not healthy. New LBP cans are amazingly quiet. As quiet as traditional baffle stack any day. PTR(vent1/308) & silencerco (556)velosI have experienced. The impact point was less than 2" ,308 & 1" velos. CAT cans have same reported results. All more $ but stupid not to use on gas gun. My hearing health & gasses in lungs is more important. As for shift , it's as much for hand load as factory loads. Cleaning that hard on gas gun is for birds.

Others have covered you pretty well so I'll give you my experience because I was in a similar spot this year. Knew I wanted to shoot my bolt guns and ARs suppressed

I shot my fathers TBAC p223 (comparable to ultra 7) on my AR and after one shot, it gave me instant tears from the gas and I knew this couldn't be the way. My ARs do not have adjustable gas blocks

Bought a TBAC Ultra 7 for my bolt guns, meanwhile researching LBP or flow through cans for my ARs. Settled on HUXWRX Ventum 7.62 and have been very happy so far. The Ventum stays on my 16" 223 and has helped me killed a handful of yotes in the past couple months. If i could improve one thing on the Ventum, it would be the weight, althought it's not terrible as is. My TBAC Ultra 7 has only been shot on my new 7PRC and I love it, recoil is modest and so quiet compared to the brakes I used to shoot.

A friend of mine got a B&T SRBS 762-DM for his AR and his experience is similar. Great for rifle function and love its sound suppression, just on the heavy side especially because he has the ASR QD system.

To address the heat topic, yes things get hot, but my Ultra7 with a cover doesnt have much issues here in AZ when I shoot a group and let things chill for a bit. I slide the supprerssor cover rearward onto the barrel and let the can cool, it cools quickly. Without the cover, you will have heat waves after a handful of shots. Dont plan on touching the can bare-handed after its been shot and you'll be good, just takes a leather glove if you need to.

One will work for both, but they make flow through suppressors for gas guns that don't have as much gas coming out of the ejection port into your face. Generally these don't suppress quite as well, so it's nice to have 2.
Generally you'll need to turn the gas down a bit with a suppressor.
There are no long term effects on a rifle other than you'll likely shoot them more.
The Silencer Company Omega 36M gets work on both my 5.56 AR15 and .340Wby mag Weatherby MKV. It works great for both. For the AR it is used in short mode and long mode for the bolt gun. This suppressor was chosen for just this reason as it was cheaper than two. Note that for the gas gun an adjustable gas block is necessary. A gas suppressing charging handle is really nice to have as well. I use one from Silencer Company.

Another benefit of the 36M is that an muzzle break can be incorporated with the suppressor. It doesn't work as well as a stand along brake, but it helps. I run the .340 with a brake when target shooting and the can when hunting. This appears to be common practice among members of this forum.

Jump on the can band wagon. You will not regret that you did. Chat with the reps at different companies and compare notes. This is not a cheap accessory and worth the investment in time to make sure you get the one that is right for you.

This an AR 10 based rifle that I just completed. I made it a side charger, put a custom barrel extension on it, and chambered the Kreiger barrel for it. This was it's first trip to the range and these groups were actually the barrel break in groups shot with factory .308 ammo. Both of these groups were with the can attached. One group is 5 shots, the other is only three because it's all the GM Match I had with me. It really likes Federal Goldmedal Match!! I think it's going to work. The suppressor is an Omega 300 direct thread on.

Attachments

• AR 10 Rem ammo.jpg
    AR 10 Rem ammo.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 3
  • AR 10 Target.jpg
    AR 10 Target.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 3
  • AR 10.jpg
    AR 10.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 3