Effect of Suppressor on Hand Loads

Things to consider! Got it!
As for price, I see a wide range. Are suppressors a "You get what you pay for" commodity?
I have post this before, but like so many others, I had to learn this lesson the hard way...
BOGO.jpg

In answer to your question, I chose the titanium construction versus steel because weight was one factor. My highest criteria was effective noise reduction which has been well documented in many comparisons. My subsonic loads in 300 BO are VERY quiet but do run dirty. The supersonic loads, not so much. 223 loads are fairly clean.
In the bolt guns, the carbon is not much of a factor from 6mm up to 30 cal. Titanium cans do cost a little more but weigh less hanging off the barrel. More noticeable to me in an AR

Chranhah,
I am in the same boat as you with just getting interested in suppression and I am also from the great of Idaho and would be curious to see if you find a good ID built one as my wife and I also own a small Idaho business and try to spend our money locally when possible.
Everyone else, great info on the subject 👍

Off the top of my head JK Armament, Stingerworx, KMC Suppressors are in Idaho along with some others. It's an easy search.
I too try and buy here in Idaho but in this case I will buy the product that is right for me regardless.
I'm looking seriously at the TBAC 7. Just like you initially I want to use it on a couple different rifles. And given that I change out barrels it. it could be quite costly to buy a suppressor for each barrel let alone rifle.

I'm a big fan of direct-thread suppressors. I have one QD can, and it works, but I'm always worrying about it in my long range hunting guns. As for semi-auto, they're just dirty. Like, filthy dirty after a couple of mags. Oil everything up before you shoot and plan on cleaning when you get home. Still worth it though. Design can help a bit, but they all create more back-pressure.

Just buy a good one and enjoy it! The extra velocity is probably because a 6" suppressor probably gives you the equivalent of another inch or two of barrel length. The gas pressure is still pushing the bullet along.

Thunderbeast is good, but like you say there are many good ones.

Things to consider! Got it!
As for price, I see a wide range. Are suppressors a "You get what you pay for" commodity? I realise a lot of the prices have to do with material [titanium (lighter weight) will be more expensive that steel], but what else makes one worth $3,000 vs. $800? I'm on a teacher's salary in this post-plandemic economy, so I'm looking for quality, but not necessarily a "Wilson Custom".

I think I'm leaning toward two different cans now. The gas gun is my teen daughter's deer rifle, so that'll probably be the first. Then after another year of saving (I'm at that stage in life where I buy my own birthday presents ;) ), I'll get one for me and my 7RM.

Thanks again!
Actually you can do both - I appreciate your servant heart putting your daughter first and thank you for your service to democracy being a teacher. I use a 30 cal titanium on a gas gun 223 and on larger caliber. My bolt guns are not threaded —yet. You can get a good 30 cal and use on both until you can save up to buy the other. The 30 will not likely be as quiet but it is noticeable difference.

There is a thread on the forum about suppressors and magnum hunting rifles that you might want to read. I've got 6 suppressor used in a variety of different applications. My 7 PRC only has a suppressor because it shoots a little better with it on. In general I think I have gotten the most benefits from ,308 and down in size. Putting one on a 300 BO or .22 is nothing but fun.

The link has some information that may be of interest to someone getting into suppressors:
https://precisionrifleblog.com/2024...r-summit-hard-data-to-compare-250-suppresors/

Last edited:
I'm not in the suppressor game yet, but seriously considering it and I have some questions:
1) Is it okay to have one suppressor for use on a bolt gun and for a gas gun? Are suppressors even designed for those considerations?
2) I'd like to suppress my 7mmRM bolt action hunting rifle and my 6mmARC gas gun. Will one suppressor work for both?
3) I hand load all of my ammo. I've read that a suppressor will cause more pressure and fouling in gas guns. Will I need to reduce my loads when running the suppressor, or will closing my gas block a bit more do the trick?
That's about it for now, but as the conversation progresses, I'm sure more will come up. Thanks in advance.

I forgot to mention, I've looked online, but I'm tired of everyone just telling me why THEIR's is the best and why I should buy it. I want to know long term effects on my rifles. I'm not even looking at make and model yet.
One silencer will work for both, but a 7RM will be MUCH better suited to a full-sized can with a .30 bore (Enticer L, Lithium or TBAC 9", et al) whereas the 6ARC has a few purpose-built options that are smaller and better suited. From the sounds of it, 6 ARC in a gas gun probably benefits from a flow-thru can, but those are very expensive and will sound terrible with the magnum. An adjustable gas block will likely get you most of the way there if you can only go with one option.

If you are planning to swap between rifles, a muzzle device with a fast attach will be convenient, but most of the QD systems are less-than-ideal. Love them or hate them, Q unequivocally has the best design, with CAT also offering a great option. I actually had ECCO Machine cut my ASR mount off my 30 cal can so I could put a diligent defense titanium direct thread adapter on it to save 5 ounces on the assembly. Which should also be another primary consideration: weight.

An 18+oz can (including QD mount, DON'T forget to factor that in if you go that way) sucks on the end of a barrel if you're doing anything other than walking it to the range bench, whereas a sub-10oz silencer will basically disappear on a hunting/actual use rifle.

Also, stay clear of the Do-All 36 and 45 cal rifle-pistol cans. They're garbage and you'll never disassemble and reconfigure them for each gun you use. You're not going to easily swap a can between guns at the range anyway because they get far too hot, and the threads of configurable cans will eventually begin to carbon-fuse together if routine maintenance isn't done after heavy use. So having one for everything is unrealistic, and in reality I consider the companies who market these cans as such to be walking the line of fraud.

So in summary, you'll hate a short/K can if buying only one....go no shorter than 6.75-7." Go titanium or a lighter weight steel model (Enticer S or similar) for weight. Either have both of your rifles threaded for 5/8x24 or do your research on the lightest and best QD system for your use. Steer clear of the do-all mindset, and plan to get a dedicated 6 ARC can in your near future ;)

:cool: is a thread on the forum about suppressors and magnum hunting rifles that you might want to read. I've got 6 suppressor used in a variety of different applications. My 7 PRC only has a suppressor because it shoots a little better with it on. In general I think I have gotten the most benefits from ,308 and down in size. Putting one on a 300 BO or .22 is nothing but fun.

The link has some information that may be of interest to someone getting into suppressors:
https://precisionrifleblog.com/2024...r-summit-hard-data-to-compare-250-suppresors/
I have a TBAC Ultra 9 that I have installed on a 300BO bolt action, and it is insanely quiet. I can clap my hands which will be MUCH louder than the report of my BO.
For what it's worth, my next rifle build will be an 8.6 BO. I also currently have a TBAC 338 Ultra in jail that I will use with that build.

Not exactly on topic, but I thought it was an interesting read:

Interesting post here made by a Swedish suppressor manufacturer:
Suppressor dryout..jpg

One will work for both, but they make flow through suppressors for gas guns that don't have as much gas coming out of the ejection port into your face. Generally these don't suppress quite as
One will work for both, but they make flow through suppressors for gas guns that don't have as much gas coming out of the ejection port into your face. Generally these don't suppress quite as well, so it's nice to have 2.
Generally you'll need to turn the gas down a bit with a suppressor.
There are no long term effects on a rifle other than you'll likely shoot them more.
The Velos a silencer co suppressor & is ultra low back pressure & the noise level is quieter than a traditional baffle stacked can.

Recent Posts