Drilling hole in Redding sizing die

The die was custom made by Redding he was hoping to not have the expense of having another one built he contacted forester they said wouldn’t do it. David. Thanks for everyone’s input
Try this, soak the die in mineral spirits overnight dry it out, spray it with carburetor cleaner swab out with patches. That should solve the shoulder dents HTH

Here is a pic from a poster to these forums his user ID is huntoregon who is experiencing "similar" issues trying resize once-fired and fire formed 6.5-06AI cases which were presumably made from .25-06 cases. It's easy to say it's lube dents, but if that's true how does one explain the symmetrical pattern of the dents? Apparently his sizing die is short while his chamber is long since backing out the die alleviates the denting. I've made 6.5-06 AI cases from .280 Remington brass which are already .050 inch long in the base to shoulder of a .25-06 or .270 win or .30-06 and I don't recall ever seeing dents like that.

67540fff-2384-4da2-8702-021a6f68c5d0-jpeg.171948

ETA

I got this reply from my contact at Redding.

""That indicates a die chamber mismatch If it is the shoulder dimension than the chamber shoulder diameter is larger than what the die is designed for. Another case would be trying to push the shoulder back too far on an Ackley cartridge. Realistically the shoulder cannot be pushed back much more than .003”. Given the wildcat nature there are no standards per se so it isn’t that uncommon to have this occurr. Try backing the die off about a 1/8 turn and see if that corrects it""
After seeing this picture it reminded me of a post I saw a while back that had something to do with an Ackley improved chamber possibly trying to resize a standard caliber case in an Ackley die without fire forming not positive but that picture is familiar That neck looks very long

After seeing this picture it reminded me of a post I saw a while back that had something to do with an Ackley improved chamber possibly trying to resize a standard caliber case in an Ackley die without fire forming not positive but that picture is familiar That neck looks very long
Thanks David must have sent you my pictures necks are that long on both rifles I trim to 6mm rem length

That pic is from a thread currently going in the reloading forum. A gent was trying to resize once-fired 6.5-06AI cases. As said the the Redding CS rep, the dents are from a die/chamber mismatch.

I am taking the liberty of assuming that the issue facing the OP here is the same or similar to the issue of the OP of the thread in the reloading forum.

Last edited:
Okay I finally got pictures they are on my first post starting this thread picture of 3 pieces of brass with dents. David

Here is a picture of my brass after running it thru my cleaned out Redding resizing die. I backed die out a little and I didn't get any dents on next cases I ran. Round is a 6mm Texan 32 or 33 deg shoulder Smith that built my first one didn't give me the blueprint for it

Attachments

• 15839791233391860441034929022583.jpg
    15839791233391860441034929022583.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 213
Here is a picture of my brass after running it thru my cleaned out Redding resizing die. I backed die out a little and I didn't get any dents on next cases I ran. Round is a 6mm Texan 32 or 33 deg shoulder Smith that built my first one didn't give me the blueprint for it
Is it possible the "long" neck on those cases is bottoming on the expander stem threads or stem holder? The pictures seem to indicate a shiny ring right around the case neck. If it is bottoming, forces will transfer to the affected area.
Maybe something to look at.

Is it possible the "long" neck on those cases is bottoming on the expander stem threads or stem holder? The pictures seem to indicate a shiny ring right around the case neck. If it is bottoming, forces will transfer to the affected area.
Maybe something to look at.
I was just about to ask something similar as I was reading up to this post. Like many have said above: possibly a mismatched die, or I have heard of similar when a person hasn’t trimmed their brass and lets the neck get too long.

I was just about to ask something similar as I was reading up to this post. Like many have said above: possibly a mismatched die, or I have heard of similar when a person hasn’t trimmed their brass and lets the neck get too long.

Or he chamfered the case mouth. In my experience, once formed AI cases hardly grow at all.

Personally I don't Believe in spray lube ,I roll them on a pad with proper case lube that way it's even not gobbed up in one area ,(spay can) . Half my dies are RCBS , other half Redding , use an RCBS lube & their pad , your friend needs to clean his brass and Anneal them that in itself goes a long way to keeping dies cleaner and working proper ,Custom dies are Very expensive just saying , all this begs the Question how much reloading experience does your friend have .

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.