Drilling hole in Redding sizing die

You could try using powdered graphite on the neck/shoulder area. I apply it with Q-Tip. It just takes a very small amount, and it has eliminated that problem for me. If the die continues to cause problems, contact Redding's service department. They have been very helpful for me in the past.

Definitely sounds like too much lube. Clean the die real good and try putting a very thin layer of lube on with his fingers. Spray lube goes all over the neck and shoulder. As the neck starts to size all the lube gets pushed down to the shoulder and gets trapped there. It has no where to go but in against the brass. If he wants to use the spray just wipe off the neck and shoulder with a towel before he runs it in.
Shep
I agree. The ONLY time I’ve had dents is from using too much of the Hornady spray lube

I’m wouldn’t drill hole I have 8 sets of Redding dies no problems

Spot on. If he isn't doing the lube wrong, call Redding. They will stand behind their product. Not only will drilling a hole void the warranty it won't solve his problem.

If he wanted to sacrifice one of his cases, he could drill a tiny vent hole or two in the case shoulder. If it was trapped air/lube, a test like that should show a difference.

My guess is the die, shell holder combination was set up too tight and that with excessive lube really was the culprit.

Let us know what he finds.

Here is a pic from a poster to these forums his user ID is huntoregon who is experiencing "similar" issues trying resize once-fired and fire formed 6.5-06AI cases which were presumably made from .25-06 cases. It's easy to say it's lube dents, but if that's true how does one explain the symmetrical pattern of the dents? Apparently his sizing die is short while his chamber is long since backing out the die alleviates the denting. I've made 6.5-06 AI cases from .280 Remington brass which are already .050 inch long in the base to shoulder of a .25-06 or .270 win or .30-06 and I don't recall ever seeing dents like that.

67540fff-2384-4da2-8702-021a6f68c5d0-jpeg.171948

ETA

I got this reply from my contact at Redding.

""That indicates a die chamber mismatch If it is the shoulder dimension than the chamber shoulder diameter is larger than what the die is designed for. Another case would be trying to push the shoulder back too far on an Ackley cartridge. Realistically the shoulder cannot be pushed back much more than .003”. Given the wildcat nature there are no standards per se so it isn’t that uncommon to have this occurr. Try backing the die off about a 1/8 turn and see if that corrects it""

Last edited:
I have several Redding dies, but my brother in law's Redding 7mm Rem mag sizing die wrinkled cases no matter which and how little lube we tried. Vigorously cleaned the die with no difference in performance. He sold them locally and I bought a set of Forster dies. No problems now. Never had any issues with my other Redding dies.

I'm in agreement with others who are suspecting too much lube on case. I used to have that trouble using RCBS case lube. Switched to Imperial Die Wax -- problem solved. And drilling a hardened die is really difficult.
Plus you run the risk leaving a burr inside the die to scratch the brass

I have a set of 7mm RSAUM Redding standard dies. When I use the FL die for resizing my cases, I get the similar dents (not as many though - usually one or two dents). Only way I can prevent them is use case lube so sparingly I fear I may stick a case in the die. My Redding dies don't have the bleeder hole. My other Redding dies for other calibers don't pose any problems.

My 7mm RSAUM Hornady dies size with no issues. No issues with my RCBS dies for other calibers either. It's just the7mm RSAUM Redding dies I've had similar issues with. My Hornady and RCBS dies have the bleeder hole.

Last edited:
For you guys that are having dent issues with Redding dies I strongly suggest you call Redding and discuss the issue. They have been very good at fixing or sending me new parts for anything I ever had that didn't perform right.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.