Downloading 7PRC?

Good

Hey friends, how "downloaded" can a 7PRC be? I put my soon to be 13yo girl in for elk this year and I think the 7PRC might be a good cartridge for her to grow into (but maybe not). She has a lightweight 243Win that she shoots well, but I'm wanting something a little more elky and I don't have anything between that 243 and a sporter 30-06.

She is tall/long for her age taking after her mom (mom is 6' and I'm 5'8")- not skinny or big- average build, and athletic.

I could download the '06 but I'd like to get her something of her own that she can grow into. Is 7PRC around 8-9lbs too much gun?

Thanks for your time.

Muzzle brake? Suppressor?

It's always surprising how much a lighter bullet will reduce recoil. My 7saum with a 145 cutting edge is a completely different animal than it is with a 180eldm
Yes, probably a brake, at least initially. And my thoughts exactly. That's the thinking behind 7PRC. But is it ultimately too much cartridge?
Let her shoot both. Perhaps the question is how much can you down load for elk. I think 06 as is should be fine with the proper bullet
I don't have a 7PRC, and I'm wanting to get her something.
I'd look at the lightest load data available, from a reliable source, and wouldn't venture to go lower. That should give you an idea of whether or not the 7PRC will get you where you want to be.
I think you'd be better off with a 7/08 or .308 and an acceptable load with a mono bullet.
Good advice. And those are exactly two of the other cartridges I am considering. Along with a 270WSM. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the responses guys.

7prc seems interesting enough to me as it's not an uber mag and not so much as a saum and wsm also..

IMO......there's not a lot of difference between 7mm PRC and 7mm SAUM. That said my kids shoot 7mm SAUM's for whitetail to Elk. My youngest is a 9 year old and his he shoots a 7mm SAUM that is braked with 175 Elites at a modest 2,890 FPS. He can ring steel with it every time at 500 yards after I give him the corrections. I'm pretty sure your 13 year old daughter could also. My son is only 65 pounds maybe and some change. The 7mm PRC will easily download to those velocities or you could just go the SAUM route. My other two have taken 4 elk with theirs out to 620 yards and closest was around 200 yards. So I have all the confidence in the world she would be good with it.

IMO......there's not a lot of difference between 7mm PRC and 7mm SAUM. That said my kids shoot 7mm SAUM's for whitetail to Elk. My youngest is a 9 year old and his he shoots a 7mm SAUM that is braked with 175 Elites at a modest 2,890 FPS. He can ring steel with it every time at 500 yards after I give him the corrections. I'm pretty sure your 13 year old daughter could also. My son is only 65 pounds maybe and some change. The 7mm PRC will easily download to those velocities or you could just go the SAUM route. My other two have taken 4 elk with theirs out to 620 yards and closest was around 200 yards. So I have all the confidence in the world she would be good with it.
Wow, great encouragement. Yeah, she's 90+lbs and pretty tough.

Remind me again why RSAUM over WSM?

Hey friends, how "downloaded" can a 7PRC be? I put my soon to be 13yo girl in for elk this year and I think the 7PRC might be a good cartridge for her to grow into (but maybe not). She has a lightweight 243Win that she shoots well, but I'm wanting something a little more elky and I don't have anything between that 243 and a sporter 30-06.

She is tall/long for her age taking after her mom (mom is 6' and I'm 5'8")- not skinny or big- average build, and athletic.

I could download the '06 but I'd like to get her something of her own that she can grow into. Is 7PRC around 8-9lbs too much gun?

Thanks for your time.
My 13 year old grandson ( Now shooting, a .243 Win Tikka ) CANNOT Yet, shoot, a 6.5 Creedmoor with, 140 - 143's,.. UN-Less, it WAS,.. "Braked".
A Tikka, 6.5 Creedmoor "Braked", will BE, his Next, Rifle as we hunt, Elk and figure that, IT's "Good" for an Elk, to 500 yards or, so with, Berger 140 Elites or, 143 ELD-X's. He has shot, 2 Big Muley's so far with, his Dad and Brother's help, in getting "set up" Prone,.. One at 225 & One at, 268 yards.
His, heavy Horned, 30+ Inch 4 x 5, is a Beauty, taken a few Months ago with, an 87 gr., H-VLD Berger @ 3,100 FPS,.. but WE feel that, It's too "Light" for, most uses, on any, Distant, Large, Elk ! We are, VERY careful that, he DOESN'T,.. Develop, a "Flinch" and, want to, QUIT,.. Hunting / Shooting

Last edited:
My buddy has a 7RM. What the 7PRC wants to twin with. Terrible choice!
Don't be the guy who over guns his kid and scares them out of the field.

Another vote for the .308 or 7mm-08. Enormous data out there. Load up or down +++ you can buy commercial ammo with heavy or lighter bullets.
Next choice would be a 6.5 PRC in my mind.

Wow, great encouragement. Yeah, she's 90+lbs and pretty tough.

Remind me again why RSAUM over WSM?
The wsm uses more powder, but the saum has very close velocities with it. Plus depending on the mag limitations you could seat the saum longer with the heavies since the case is shorter than the wsm.

My buddy has a 7RM. What the 7PRC wants to twin with. Terrible choice!
Don't be the guy who over guns his kid and scares them out of the field.

Another vote for the .308 or 7mm-08. Enormous data out there. Load up or down +++ you can buy commercial ammo with heavy or lighter bullets.
Next choice would be a 6.5 PRC in my mind.
I was 9 when I shot my dad's 264wm and loved it. I liked it more than the 270win as it had more recoil.