Does Berger Make Jump Irrelevant?

Hikinghunter

So, I've worked up loads for all of two rifles, meaning my data pool is pretty limited. I'm both cases, though, seating depth just doesn't seem to matter. I start at 20 thou and it's great once I find my barrel node. Then I back up in increments to 100 just because you're supposed to try stuff. It's pointless, though. There's no accuracy difference based on seating depth.

I'm shooting Bergers (classic and hybrid hunters). Perhaps their claim about not being jump sensitive is actually true, I just have a hard time getting my head around it being totally true.

What have other people experienced with Bergers? I'm starting to think I'll just load at whatever standard COAL is and leave seating depth out of my load development process.

With Elite Hunters and Hybrid Target bullets, I've definitely realized an improvement.
My increments are .003 and anybody with just one good eye can follow the trend starting at about .015 off.
Seems to be in the 30 off area or close

If you're struggling to find the accuracy you want with a hybrid style bullet then by all means try a seating depth test. Other than that I see very little change over a wide range.

Seating depth can make a difference, even with Hybrids and Classics. Definitely with the VLDs. But some rifles don't care. I think you got lucky. HOW good are your rifles shooting? Sometimes you gain .1MOA, sometimes you gain .5MOA or more.

I test seating depths on every load.
This makes sense. It's there, it's just not all that dramatic. I'm getting 1/2 MOA on one rifle and 3/4MOA on the other, generally shooting 300 yards. Im not measuring groups with a caliper. I was looking 3/4 MOA to go to 1/4, or go the other way and spread out all over the target.

This makes sense. It's there, it's just not all that dramatic. I'm getting 1/2 MOA on one rifle and 3/4MOA on the other, generally shooting 300 yards. Im not measuring groups with a caliper. I was looking 3/4 MOA to go to 1/4, or go the other way and spread out all over the target.

IME it's pretty rare to see that much improvement with only changing the seating depth, but anything is possible. It would be EXTREMELY rare for any hunting rifle to shoot 1/4moa. A well built hunting rifle may shoot 1/2moa but it won't do it without a favorable load that is built consistently.

However - to the point, seating depth changes do matter, but how much depends on the reload, the rifle and the shooter.