Does anyone see a difference using different primers?

I've handloaded for years now, and used different primers whether it is different brands or match or whatever. But have never seen any difference in any of them. No accuracy, speeds, or powder burn. I want to know what y'all's experience has been not necessarily wanting to hear hearsay but first hand experience.

Here's Your Sign!

I understand that any combo can be tuned, and a primer changed with the same powder and be retuned. Even though none may give the desired result.? Or they both might be great.

Can you explain the part about "showing up straight away" please

Lots and lots of benchrest shooters would disagree with this!

There can be a tremendous difference in velocity of a load when you switch primers. Sheesh. Reloading 101. Primer brisance varies all over the place from one brand to another. I have a 300 WM load that I had to drop 1.5 grains of powder to keep the same velocity switching from WMLR to F215. Be careful out there.

I've handloaded for years now, and used different primers whether it is different brands or match or whatever. But have never seen any difference in any of them. No accuracy, speeds, or powder burn. I want to know what y'all's experience has been not necessarily wanting to hear hearsay but first hand experience.
When I'm working up a new load for my rifles I test a minimum of three sometimes four primers with the particular bullet, powder, case and rifle combo, and have gotten some drastic differences. I also test a mild, medium, and a hot load on each primer I test with five shot groups so I know what each combo is about.
I know we are all worried about supplies, and I'm no different than anyone else. That's why my shooting and testing for the last few years has slowed way down, unfortunately.
I do know this for sure though, my groups have either started out looking shabby and closed up nice and tight by the time I get through the hot load or visa/versa, this will do the same thing in a small case like the 223 rem or any big caliber/magnum case you want to test. It's gets even more extrem with the big magnums. I know that's a lot of testing, but it's the only way I've been able to come up what a different primer will do to or for mmyload development.
Anyway, thanks for listening, that's just my two cents on the subject, have a great night. Erik.

There can be a tremendous difference in velocity of a load when you switch primers. Sheesh. Reloading 101. Primer brisance varies all over the place from one brand to another. I have a 300 WM load that I had to drop 1.5 grains of powder to keep the same velocity switching from WMLR to F215. Be careful out there.

This is why I always start with federal 215.

I understand that any combo can be tuned, and a primer changed with the same powder and be retuned. Even though none may give the desired result.? Or they both might be great.

Can you explain the part about "showing up straight away" please
The primer will show up with tight groups across a wider node and at multiple velocities…the primer that doesn't like the powder will show mediocre results across the entire string of shots.
If you don't test multiple primers with the same load, you'll never see the difference.
I test 4 primers generally, not always, but I test 'match grade' in both standard and magnum, in both standard cartridges and magnum cartridges, my small rifle primer tests are different, I actually only run magnum primers and I test brisance over the pressure trace, hottest are almost always Winchester, but it will swap with Federal enough times that I test each time, CCI are just below the above in brisance.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I put together a fair amount of bench guns, whether shooting groups that a few thousands of a inch separates winners and losers or shooting a pencil dot x's for high score, I found primers were as much a factor than anything else, some guns are very primer sensitive while others not so much, somewhere in the barn I have binders of targets showing just what the differences can be, im away on a fishing/armed hiker trip, when I get back to the barn I should dig threw them and post a couple, in addition magnum primers did not always prove to be the most accurate in large volume cases running large amounts of slow burning powders, so if you got em try them.

I put together a fair amount of bench guns, whether shooting groups that a few thousands of a inch separates winners and losers or shooting a pencil dot x's for high score, I found primers were as much a factor than anything else, some guns are very primer sensitive while others not so much, somewhere in the barn I have binders of targets showing just what the differences can be, im away on a fishing/armed hiker trip, when I get back to the barn I should dig threw them and post a couple, in addition magnum primers did not always prove to be the most accurate in large volume cases running large amounts of slow burning powders, so if you got em try them.
I generally don't use M-primers in load that are 75+ grs or less. i generally use a 26" barrel or longer also.

I've shown this before in other threads. 338LM at 200 yards:
04ECBC18-8726-4855-B6A0-0534E6B654FF.jpeg