Does anyone else do their long range hunting from a treestand or from the ground ?

We all learn the hard way at times. That lesson hurts a little more when a nice animal is lost. I've been there and learned the hard way as well.
Yep...those are definitely the ones you never forget.

Just a rumor I heard from another forester - the following year one of his co-workers found scattered bones/remains of a dead buck +/- 1/4 mile from where I lost the trail. Chewed up by mice but antlers still on the upper skull - tall tines and 20+ inches inside spread. Coincidence? Who knows...Nothing like feeding the coyotes.

I actually liked straight on shots at deer with my 338 win mag from the stand .I could aim at their head long range and hit their chest dead center .It seemed like the 338 win mag flipped them when I hit then at 200 yards or further .I only had a 3x9 Nikon on my rifle forever from 1986 till about 6 years ago then put a 4x16x50 Nikon on it .There are lots of new clear cuts to hunt these days if you can find a tree .I want to try a blind on the power lines it lines up straighter than a treestand does .I want to put yard markers out which helps you usually dont have time to use a range finder .

I have hunted from tree stands when using a bow in Az. When I was a lot younger I had a choose of either joining the Air force, Navy, or the Marines, but I couldn't fly or walk on water. So I waited for the draft. In 1968 while being drafted 250 of use took the oath at the same time. My last two serial numbers was 98. They from 201 to 250 into the Marines. I didn't fallow my rule. I signed up for Jump School, and ended up flying as a Dustoff Medic or as a door gunner part of my time over there, in Vietnam in 1969. The moral of the story is, me too being on the ground.
Mike, I just can't see a parachute opening in time time to break my fall from 20 feet high tree stand so I'll stay on the ground with you. Thank you for your service sir.

I have been wondering of anyone else does long range shooting from a tree stand .I have hunted from the tree stand most all my life and tried to in Alaska some but the trees were dinky .I like hunting powerlines and clear cuts .My longest tree stand shot was just 425 yards with my 338 win mag but it's harder to hold still in a treestand .I used to slip down to the bottom part and use the top for a bench rest .I once got four does all 350 yards .They were in a giant briar patch but it was terrible getting them out .In Alaska I mainly stalked but did try treestand for bears .
My experience is that tree stands usually move too much for accurate long range shot placement. I prefer a ground setup on a ridge or rise. YMMV

Nearly all my deer hunting was done from tree stands,as I grew up in Florida,with most areas too thick to see very far on the ground. Still,shots were not usually longer than about 200 yards in most places.When I moved out west,I saw how scarce trees are,in Western Nebraska,and had to adjust my tactics. I climbed high on sand hills and glassed,using bipods and backpacks to make longer shots than before. 350-400 yards isn't long for many guys here,but for a swamp hunter,I was glad my fundamentals were sound and I could make those shots. I'm in SC now,and on private land,we use a lot of box blinds that are big enough to set up a table for a front and rear rest,so longer shots on some areas are a possibility.

In the past I have hunted from tree stands, in particular ones that face the tree. I think they were made by Warren and Sweat and were called "The Rifleman". I have one but didn't use it this year as I hunted with a local farmer who has a couple of elevated box blinds and a couple of converted Porta' Johns.
The Porta John is ok but those shooting houses are the bomb! I put a sandbag in the window and use a retractable shooting stick with a Y to stabilize the butt of my rifle. Took a nice buck at 471yds with a .270Win. No dialing just held high.
I was more impressed with the shot than the buck. That was a tough shot with a 3x9 Leupold. High shoulder shot, can't beat 'em.

Attachments

• 20201024_083848_resized.jpg
    20201024_083848_resized.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 99
  • 20201127_073127_resized.jpg
    20201127_073127_resized.jpg
    840.5 KB · Views: 97
Most of my LR hunting has been prone, on a bag, with front rest/bi-pod and rear bag from the bed of my truck.
When this was not an option, I shot prone on the ground. Tree stands are not a common thing here, however I do shoot on one property that has an elevated stand with 360 degree views. Have taken deer from it at 550mtrs on several occasions, but this is not a common thing.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.