Making the jump from long range shooting to long range hunting

Hello All

This is my first post on the forum, though I've read it for years. I've been in the long range shooting game (as a hobby, not competitively) for about 5 or 6 years. I'm no record breaker, but can consistently hit milk jug sized targets to 1000 yards and beyond at the range.

That being said, I had a couple opportunities to test my capabilities in hunting scenarios this fall. On opening day of the season, at daylight, I had a nice 6pt bull at 742 yards. No wind, dead calm. While he was pacing back and forth, there were instances that he'd pause for long enough to get a shot. For some reason, I never felt comfortable and never pulled the trigger. I was augured in, prone, dialed in and ready to let fly. This is a shot I've made hundreds of times at the range and would put my confidence level at 10 out of 10 at a range scenario. Instead, I packed up my gear and tried to get closer - unsuccessfully. No dice, and that turned out to be my only chance at a a bull elk all year.

2nd Scenario - Mule deer hunting this fall I come up on a herd of deer with a nice mature buck in it. They work their way up the draw and bed on the other side, with the buck at 690 yards. Again, I get prone, little wind, range, dial, and auger in. I even dry fired on the buck several times. Never pulled the trigger at this range. The struggle I was having internally was that it was very possible to get closer. In fact, he was in a very stalk-able location. Again, I pack up my gear and get closer. During my stalk, I found that the ground was much noisier than expected and I wake the napping deer, and all of the sudden he's at what turned out to be 350 yards (I didn't have time to range before the shot) quartering towards me and ready to bolt. I kneel down and take the shot and with some luck (and I mean that sincerely) my bullet found its mark.

After that plays out, I can't help but think how much more of an ethical shot I had at 690. I was prone, the animal had no idea I was there, and it was likely to turn out to be a much cleaner kill.

My question for you all is, do you have any advice making the leap from long range shooting into long range hunting? Am I the only one that's struggled to pull the trigger? I truly am lucky that I got that deer. 350 yards from a knee is no easy shot, and I'm pretty sure I could hit a pop can consistently at 690 from a prone position with enough time. Up to this point, I've always gone by "if you can get closer, get closer" mentality, but I could have easily caused me to wound an animal. To be honest, I probably shouldn't have taken the 350 yard shot at all, and I got lucky. Lesson learned.

I would suggest you go out and coyote hunt. Get some shots at longer distances. Get a few pelts under your belt and see what happens from there. It's okay to work in closer for the shot.
By no means am I saying to put coyotes in the "it's okay to make bad or wounding shots". However coyote hunting will make you a better shot and a better hunter.

You did well pilgrim. The difference between sniping game and hunting game is defined solely by the individual.
Under the circumstances you describe you elected to hunt closer. Nothing wrong with doing so, commendable in my mind.
Given you can kill milk jugs at 1000 yards, shooting the bull or the buck at the distances you articulated wouldn't have taught you much about shooting. Trying to get closer taught you much more about hunting, critical information that will serve to make you a better hunter.
I think your dry fire drill was excellent by the way.

Knowing when not to pull the trigger is just as important. Something was telling you NO and you listened. Should of, would of, could of, did or didn't can all be regrettable moments. You can learn from them all, keep it up!
And yes, dry firing is good if you're able to. It helps me go through my firing sequence, calm my nerves, and lets me know if I have a stable platform.

What is ethical for you, isn't for someone else? That being said, I'v been there, last year, 20+ band of antelope, no one else around, calm wind, 1240 on the range finder, no way to get closer, they didn't know I was there, no rush, I just wasn't feelin' it, I passed on the shot.

You did well enough from what you say.

To boost my confidence, I now go out on windy days and take long shots at milk jugs/cardboard targets. It is humbling but you learn a lot. When I started hitting jugs at 600+ yards in the wind I had all the confidence I needed to shoot long on game in good conditions.

Been there and done that. We all should have to evaluate any shot opportunity we have. My heart rate never quickens on steel or paper, but add an animal, especially a bigun, and my heart pounds. That little voice in your head, told you that shot was not 100%. Your time will come.

At the end of the day, when you pull the trigger, you need to be confident you will hit your target. Especially when it is an animal. You knew you were capable, but something wasn't quite right, so you didn't shoot. IMHO you did right. If you're going to do it, it should feel like clockwork.

To make the transition, personally, it was a lot of mid range work. In my case, muzzleloaders from 300-500 yards. After a few years of that the ballistics of modern rifles at extended ranges were less challenging.

But I'm still like you. While I've made some very long shots, in general, if I can get closer, I just get closer. If I am local where hunts require not much walking but shots may be long I often carry two rifles, one for close and still hunting (often moving) shots, and a long range rifle over the shoulder. I'd guess they get equal work.

The added pressure of shot mattering is different than the range. Not pulling the trigger is never the wrong answer, nothing wrong with what you did. Going forward to build your confidence try mimicking a hunting situation at the range. 1 shot and put a time limit so it puts a little pressure on you. Side bets with a buddy will get a little pressure going to.

I went to a PRS type match once. At this one you had to glass/find the targets, range and shoot with a time limit. Targets were from 300-800yds and MOA size at each distance and designed where you couldn't be prone for all the shots. It was the best hunting practice I have done.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips guys. I like the idea of setting a timer and "rushing" some shots. I think you're right, I have no problem pulling the trigger at long range at the range when it doesn't matter, but when there is consequences of pulling the trigger I hesitate

Last edited:
742 yards in the field is a long ways. It's close on a keyboard though lol.
One of the failures I've experienced is ranging the wrong thing, it's pretty easy to bounce the ground in front of the animal and dial in wrong. Maybe a gut instinct was telling you something wasn't quite right. You weren't wrong to try and hunt closer, it just didn't work out that time.
I've found hunting is full of choices, sometimes you choose correctly and get the animal, the next time they give you the slip.

There is a major difference in psychology between shooting a target and shooting a game animal at long range. We have all missed targets at long range and these misses may stay buried in our head, raising unconscious doubt. Something that I have seen work for shooters taking their first long shot on a game animal is to bring a spotter along. Spotting experience isn't required. This can be a good hunting or shooting buddy along that has a basic understanding of the sport. While you are still in control of the variables, explain the elements of what you are doing(wind, ranging, conditions, kill zone, etc). Bring a spotting scope for him to observe the shot, or perhaps even help with the rangefinder/wind meter. Sharing the planning and preparation builds confidence, and brings reality to the certainty of making a successful shot. IMO.

I have shot game beyond 1000 yards and I have also spent hours crossing terrain to get in close, because there was too much movement in the group of animals or winds were such that anything beyond 400 yards was just not doable or for those times when there was a minimum maximum harvest rule in effect or even because I wanted too.

Have watched and waited for a big buck at 672 yards (rangefinder said so) to change position, all the while safety off and cross hairs rested on the spot I wanted to place the bullet and my spotter was asking me what I was waiting for...a quarter turn to the left and the shot would be broadside instead of quartering away..I have all the time in the world...and there is always tomorrow or next year and 40 minutes later he switched to the right facing up hill and stepped into a bright sunny spot... stopped dipped his head...package on the way..

Measure twice and cut once...if in doubt...myself I would rather pass on a shot I felt uncomfortable with then to let it all hang out and then spend hours scouring the nearby terrain looking for a crippled animal, which I may not find..

A thing I do recommend is shooting lifelike 3D style targets...it helps a lot of shooters/hunters, gets you used to what you will see thru the scope when hunting season comes around and unlike a pop can or reactive target, you don't know until you walk out there and look at the target insert ,made a paper mache deer body half and place a paper that had the organ bone structure drawn on it, where exactly your bullet went. Doing it in the sun rain windy conditions cold warm..snow if you have it, after any big game season have expired of course.

Rifle bullets make short work of the 3D foam deer :) so made my own out of old newspaper and glue..add a little paint use the head off the now defunct Foam deer..have 4 or 5 sleeping in the barn loft, helps with instructing people in game spotting.

Really causes you to focus on exactly where you want to place your bullet and by using a piece of rug, burlap bags or even an old tanned hair on deer hide can be used for rangefinder practice.

When all is said and done...it comes down to what "YOU" feel comfortable with at the end of the day.....

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.