Hunting from the ground with a ghille suit

I remember about 15 years ago a friend of mine bought a ghille suit and he used it that year when we went deer hunting. Walking back to camp I walked right past him at about 10 ft.. He was leaning against a tree with a few bushes around him in plain sight . He said hey when I went by. Scared the you know what out of me. Guess it works I said.
Another trip when coming back to camp was almost dark. I had my dog with me. He was in camp with suit on. He started holding his arms up like a monster or Bigfoot. My dog starting barking at him and I said get him. My dog went after him on full attack mode and got right up to him and he started yelling the dog's name. I saw real quick it wasn't funny
and called dog back. Could of got ugly after I thought about it.

I have a home made ghillie suit. I used to wear it all the time for sitting on the ground. I had two hunters walk within 20' of.me and stop and talk for 10 minutes and never notice me. I thought about standing up, but didn't want to get shot.

i am disabled so hunt on the ground regularly. Many times I can't carry much so I have been wearing a Ghillie for the past 5 or so years. I have hunters, turkey, deer and other critters pass within a couple of feet and never know I am there. I have had deer walk past then get my smell. Become alert and stare right at me but never see me. The suit will snag on limbs etc. when walking so I don't wear it for still hunting.

I wear an ASAT camo leafy suit bow hunting on the ground in Iowa. Very lightweight and not hot. Doesn't snag like a ghillie does either. I sit in a terrace and will put decoys out in corn stalks. Have harvested a couple bucks this way. If the wind is right they have walked by at 20 yds.

3D_jacket_hi_800_747_600_560.png

They work but its kind of a hassle to wear or carry and then put on. If you make or buy one with burlap on it make sure you buy a can of fire-proofing and spray it down good! Id never ever use that kind with a muzzle loader! That burlap is extremely FLAMMABLE. I was calling coyotes at night on the edge of a field in one and had an owl swoop in and knock the crap out of me. Knocked my head gear off and scratched my noggin pretty deep. Never heard it until i was laying on the ground. If you're in big foot country better make sure you don't end up his date.

We use a ghillie quite often at work. Gotta break them in first! (2nd Pic):D
When there is plenty of vegetation I will usually just wear a top that covers my shoulders and head. When there isn't as much to hide in I'll use my full mamba suit. In any scenario the ghillie is considered a base, adding vegetation is key to blending in. Don't use it hunting much as it has well over a decade of stink impregnated (we don't clean them, quite the opposite). Been on multiple training events, competitions, loaned it to a couple guys that used it at school, and deployments.

Attachments

• 2D20AC6E-9AB4-42AC-9FDC-4507ADD14D52.jpeg
    2D20AC6E-9AB4-42AC-9FDC-4507ADD14D52.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 185
  • 06B20804-3E87-47A8-A25E-8647C2277982.jpeg
    06B20804-3E87-47A8-A25E-8647C2277982.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 165
They work but its kind of a hassle to wear or carry and then put on. If you make or buy one with burlap on it make sure you buy a can of fire-proofing and spray it down good! Id never ever use that kind with a muzzle loader! That burlap is extremely FLAMMABLE. I was calling coyotes at night on the edge of a field in one and had an owl swoop in and knock the crap out of me. Knocked my head gear off and scratched my noggin pretty deep. Never heard it until i was laying on the ground. If you're in big foot country better make sure you don't end up his date.
I know what you mean. When I was younger a friend and I used to preditor hunt at night sometimes. Dang owls would always swoop down at our heads. I'd swing my bow at them. Onenight I had my back up against the wash we were in and friend was calling about 75 yards from me. A coyote was running towards him and went right over my legs! He never saw it and claimed bs. Lol

Bcwn, I black bear hunt over bait in Maine, and I always hunt from a ground blind because I have some mobility issues!! The shots are generally close, and again I'm on the ground and not in a tree. Both my son and I always wear Gillie suits. I believe the ones we wear are made by Browning, they are a light weight material, the break up the silhouette very well, extremely quiet, light weight, and they also are a mosquito net/protection as well. I have shot quite a few bear over the years wearing the suit, have been heard, but never seen by the animals. I would not ever consider bear hunting without one. I also wear a military boonie hat with a black face mask and light weight camo gloves when I hunt.

Most (I think) Ghillie suits have an oily smell to them. And it didn't scare the cat off? That's strange. It's the one reason I don't use them in deer season.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.