Do you use a scope level to keep your rifle level?

Do you use a scope level to keep your rifle level?

• Yes, of course!

Votes: 887 49.7%
  • No, I don't shoot over 300 yards.

Votes: 162 9.1%
  • No, but I really should use one.

Votes: 737 41.3%

• Total voters
I've fiddled with many different scope levels from every maker. They all have some issues, most notably, when you mount one (and it's tube attached), there is a tendency for the level to rotate as the fixing screw is tightened so, it becomes a situation where you must compensate for the rotational movement prior to tightening the locking screw. Not a big issue, but tedious.

Probably the best level is a rail mounted one because there is no tendency for rotation but rail mounted levels can have intrusion issues on short magnum bolt actions and/or actions with split mounts because there won't be enough mount area to accomodate thelevel.

You also want to look closely at the way the vial is secured in the level itself. Good levels will have an internal circlip securing the level in it's bore. Glued in or press fit vial will eventually get loose and lost.

The Vortex tube mounted level covers all the aspects of securement and is priced about 2/3rds of everyone else plus the come in 1.00", 30 and 35 mm id.

Flat Line OP's makes a nice one that takes their Angle Cosine Inditator as well, but it's pretty expensive compared to the others.

Sidecar Flip,

Thanks for the information. Could be real valuable for folks considering
mounting a level.

I too have struggled around with both the tube mounted and the
rail mounted levels.

Some of the low end rifles, the mounting holes
for the rail are some times not vertical or one of the holes may not
be centered. Once that is corrected and the level mount fits the rail
it seems to work well.

The tube mounted levels do have a tendency to shift, especially
when your out hunting in the brush and they get bumped.
I use a plumbers bob to help set the vertical by splitting the bubble.
Still takes some fiddling around to get the mounting screw tight and on
vertical.

Happy Thanksgiving.

I know how that goes, sometimes its hard to find a simple thing to work just right to our linkings.

I was lucky because the first one I ever just it was just perfect for me.

beante.jpg

This one sits pretty high. I wear eye glasses and when I'm looking through the rifle
scope, I just look over the upper rim of my glasses and the bubble just pops to me. I can see it perfectly without looking through the glass.

Just perfect for me.

I feel for you. I spent the majority of my life wearing glasses. I remember back in grade school being called 4 eyes and that was a loooooooong time ago.

I decided about 15 years ago that I had enoughj of glasses (I never could wear contacts I have an eye issue that causes me to have dry eyes). I went and had Lasik done. It was a miracle for me. I have better than 20-20, actually I'm 20-16 in my left and 20-19 in the right.

The downside is I lost my close up vision so I wear readers but thats it.

I think if I still wore glasses, I wouldn't hunt at all.

Readers aren't too bad, I can deal with that. Wallyworld has a 3 pack for 10 bucks.

That is a tall level for sure......:)

I'll tell you something you'll really feel for... :) My eye glasses are trifocal and I
also like to shoot my handguns... Well the top focal field can see the target but not the sights, the second focal field can see the front sight but target very blurred, the third is
just no good for shooting... So I have to look up a bit to see the target with the second focal field, draw and fire without moving my head.... Would it work if I have
my eye doctor make me glasses for the right eye for the second focal plane and
left eye first focal plane to see the target of course shooting with both eye opened. You think it might work? lol

It's too bad (with all the technology out there) that science can't make an eye replacement....

I know you can have the lens replaced and Lasik is basically reshaping the lens with a laser. Cataract surgery has become much easier, less costly. I suspect I have that to look forward to at some point.

I wear safety glasses that are bifocal so I have my 'readers' built in. They offer them over the counter now.

Interestingly, my wife has uncorrectable vision with conventional lenses but contacts give her the correction she needs. She was unable to get her operators license because she was unable to pass the vision test until her ophthalmologist fitted her with contacts, which, are quite expensive in her correction.....

What is the lightest weight scope level attachment?
pontoon:

The levels I have seen weight isn't a concideration. Mounting the level is. The Picatinny Base with
built in level might be an answer. However, I like a level on rifles I shoot passed 300 yards. That
could get to be spendy for some folks if you have several rifles. The level I use folds back when not
in use and is mounted on the scope barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.