Do you remember the first centerfire rifle you fired and do you reload for that caliber today?

The first center fire rifle I shot was a 30/30 Winchester. It was was from a friend that snuck it out of the house at a very young age. My family was not into hunting, but my Dad allowed me to buy a Remington shotgun when I was 15. I was too busy working to pay for my motorcycle racing to spend $$ on another firearm until the 80's. I bought the Savage 110 30.06 and this was my main deer hunting rifle for many years. I did not reload for a long time. Started buying more rifles and other firearms. The addiction has only grown and reloading really pushed me over the edge.

My cousin had a sako 222 Remington that I got to try out. We put thumbtacks on the target and didn't switch shooters until you missed. Needless to say I only got to fire that gun a few times that day.

M1 Garand,boot camp USMC 1960.
TOM H, Thanks for reminding me of my first centerfire experience - 1956 High School ROTC @ Fort MacArthur, a former United States Army installation in San Pedro, Los Angeles, California. We had to know how to field strip and reassemble before we could earn the right to shoot them.
HOWEVER: my first centerfire rifle was and is a Remington 700 30-06 ADL given to me by my father-in-law way back in 1963. Its serial number is 38XX (yep, four digits). I have restocked it, bedded it and got a trigger job. And I still reload for it. It shoots 1 MOA with my reloads.
HOWEVER: Looking in the safe I must note it is NOT the only rifle I own. LOL

Grew up shooting .22's and shotguns, but didn't shoot a center fire until in my teens. First rifle was my uncles .308 win. I still own and load for the caliber, but not that specific rifle (win 70).

I only began shooting centerfire rifles a few years ago but my first was a Remington 700 (.308 win) I found on sale locally. Still have it to this day, albeit after a few upgrades. Just started loading for it and plan on finishing load development this month (175g over 4064). Still just as rewarding to shoot as when I got it!

Edit: forgot to indicate cartridge

Where I grew up was not rifle hunting country and there were no deer in the area to hunt so I did not have the opportunity to shoot a center fire until I bought my own at the age of 16, make note that this was before the Foolishness of GCA 68. It was a Marlin 336T in .35 Remington. I lived in Illinois at the time and my Dad and I migrated over the state line (about a mile from our house) to Wilmot, Wisconsin where we went to the original Gander Mountain, which was still a simple store front built into the front of the founders home. I don't exactly remember the price but I think that it was under $100 that I paid from earnings on a paper route. I did a lot of shooting with the rifle, unfortunately all target shooting for which I had to pad my shoulder. For me at that time shooting the 200 gr bullets available had a pretty hefty recoil. I didn't get a chance to go hunting with that rifle until I returned from Viet Nam and after the M-14 the Marlin kick didn't seem bad anymore. I didn't go hunting with it until 1972 around Marinette, WI. It was buck only back then and I saw about a zillion does, but no bucks. I hunted with it for a couple of years then traded even to a friend of mine who is a Wisconsin State Trooper. He got the .35 Remington and I got a Remington 600 in .243. He still has the Marlin .35 Remington, I sold the 600 to another friend in the Army and bought my first (still have it) Winchester Model 70 chambered in the .308 Winchester (7.62 mm NATO) The .308 is the first center fire rifle cartridge that I loaded on my own, using a recipe similar to the Lake City Match ammo that I was shooting in the Army. After glass bedding and floating the barrel of the Model 70 (Winchester did not do that back then) my reloads would shoot 0.5 MOA or less all day. It would shoot better than the issue Lake City Match ammo would, and the LC Match was good ammo.

The first center fire was my Dad's Winchester lever action 25-20. He let me shoot an armadillo that was trying to tunnel under our house. Unfortunately my eldest brother got that rifle and it somehow left the family. I keep my eyes out for one but they are really expensive today. Anyway, it was only good out to about 50 yards.

I bought a Rem. 788 in 22-250 when I was 18. First center-fire I had shot. I don't have it anymore . Bought a Win.Mod. 70 heavy barrel 22-250 after that. Sold it and bought a Sako heavy barrel 22-250 that I still load for. I started loading for the 788 with a press my uncle gave me along with some 7 Rem mag dies. I was using a Lee Loader for the 22-250. I bought some RCBS dies for 22-250. Dang ! Then I bought a Ruger M77 MK I 7 Rem. mag. Cause I had the dies. Hunted with it for about 10 years then bought a M77 Mk II 7 mag..
I aquirred me grandpa's old 1903 Springfield after that (like you Ol' Red). Bought 30.06 dies. Then bought a Ruger M77 MK I. After that away I went ! Load for 15 rifle calibers and 10 pistol now. Started loading at 18 . Still at it 46 years later. 2 yes ago I gave my 1903 Springfield to a good friend for his birthday. It sat in my safe for 40 yrs.. Got to see him shoot. First time in 40 years. He collects old military bolt actions .I see 1903's at gun shows and shops here for up to 2k 😳 I didn't know...
Sorry I went beyond the first one ! I was making my brain remember. My long term memory is great. Short term not so much 🙄

Last edited:
30-06 in a Springfield 03 brought home from WWI by my grandpa. Just loaded some 30-06 rounds up for a buddy's rifle. I test fire the first rounds in working up a load for his rifle next weekend.
This type was my first one I ever fired also,
At 10 years old. I thought it was pretty brutal at the time until I started shooting my 300 win mag. Then I got my real education..