Delayed Status

First, I would question whether the delayed status is handled the same as a 4473, where you're granted approved status after a certain number of days.

You don't. The ATF has to get a proceed from the FBI before they can approve the form. Though there's no hard evidence it's generally assumed the FBI deprioritizes researching delayed NFA BGCs in favor of researching delayed title 1 BGCs since the latter transfer can proceed after 3 days.

Contact your congressional rep. Part of their job is to help constituents deal with federal agencies. Give them all your info including the control number for your form. They'll likely send you a form to fill out granting them permission to view your tax info. The ATF and FBI will likely tell them it's delayed, but there's a decent chance it'll get the ball moving again.

I am at 16 months and counting on an e file
IMG_6113.png

They have several status conditions. You want to be pending, as opposed to not in system. If not in system, look at when your check cashed. Error status is just that; you usually have 48 hrs after notification to fix the issue.
Eforms program has several options too, as shown on the left side drop down menu of those who file the form.

Contact your congressional rep. Part of their job is to help constituents deal with federal agencies. Give them all your info including the control number for your form. They'll likely send you a form to fill out granting them permission to view your tax info. The ATF and FBI will likely tell them it's delayed, but there's a decent chance it'll get the ball moving again.
Don't have the control number and my FFL didn't seem like he knew what a control number was and said he had only given the serial number. Can my representative use the serial number?

Nope. Call 304-616-4500 with the serial and get their control number. And light your lazy dealer up! My customers all deserve better, and his do too.

Give your rep all the info, including a copy of the F4 and the atf control number.

Don't have the control number and my FFL didn't seem like he knew what a control number was and said he had only given the serial number. Can my representative use the serial number?
They should be able to take care of it without the control number if your dealer can't figure it out. It's just a unique identifier that makes it easier for the ATF to look up your form. If it's an eform the dealer can get it from their eform account. If it's a paper form I'm not sure how you'd get it.

I just spoke to a very nice gal at ATF. Gave her my name, FFL for pick up and my control number. No problem finding status. Delay background check. She then told me that this delay has been rampant over the last couple of months. Almost everyone that calls to check status has this delay. She says its normalish this time of year vacation, sick, yadda yadda. She also said when I asked that this is normal, nothing unusual. I submitted last July.

Is there anywhere to check on-line to the status, or do you have to call?

If calling what all information do you need?

When I'm on the eforms website, I can't seem to find anything.

Little concerned as I get short delays on EVERY firearms purchase. Gov't employee with a security clearance and also have a UPIN with a very uncommon last name.

Is there anywhere to check on-line to the status, or do you have to call?

If calling what all information do you need?

When I'm on the eforms website, I can't seem to find anything.

Little concerned as I get short delays on EVERY firearms purchase. Gov't employee with a security clearance and also have a UPIN with a very uncommon last name.
i always thought my last name was rare, but looking into it, its not
guessing theyll want your name and ssn
call if you want a real answer, e form will just give a generic faq answer
i would ask- even with my upin, why do i still get delayed?