Debris in Tube- VX6HD

duckhunter175

Spent today swapping around and remounting a few scopes after some projects. I put my VX6HD 3-18x44 Impact-29 back onto my 6cm-- its only ever been on that rifle (10lb rifle, less than 200rds)- been out and back to 800y plenty of times so I believe the scope is mechanically sound and I've had several VX5 and 6HDs with no issues.

Today when I got it mounted up and adjusted magnification down to 3x (where I rarely if ever carry or shoot) I caught what looked like some dust but as my eye focused in they turned black and solid. I got a lens cloth and cleaned off both... still there. Got the rifle set and played with the magnification and up around 6-7x they disappear from the FOV. They are visible from both ends of the tube as well.

Got my Leupold warranty # and will be sending off this week. I'm surpised that either I never noticed them before or that any debris got knocked around enough to end up on a lens.

Pic attached-

Pics

Attachments

• IMG_7624.jpeg
    IMG_7624.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 44
I had to send my vx5hd back with the same issue, looked like water droplets on the inside of the lens. It was there for more than 2 years until i sent it back, never moved even after many shots. No issues from leupold getting it repaired, I think it was around $45 to ship the scope though...

I had a US Optics SN-3 (a tank of a scope, still have 2 of them) that had the same sort of issue, some dust or debris was clinging to one of the lenses inside.

The USO rep told me to dismount it and whack it on a phone book a couple times. (yeah, it was that long ago). Fixed, and never saw it again, haha.

yeah shipping and insurance costs will suck... and honestly it's not a factor at 6x or more... so I'm debating even sending it... its on a rifle that I don't do much besides plink steel and cull TX does with... not gonna ruin any sort of lifetime hunt.

I guess for the cost it's better just to get it cleaned out though.

There was another one where they shot a group, took it off the rifle, drove a couple framing nails with it, remounted it, and put a couple more shots in the same group. But I can't find it.

Bur seriously, if Leupold will disassemble, clean/ blow the dust out, maybe regrease the internals, etc for the cost of shipping, I would call that a good deal.

Have debris and artifacts in a USA made Burris scope very noticeable on low magnification and BURRIS won't return any of my phone calls via their wait in line call back program nor respond to any of my messages and can't do online warranty claim seems to have an obvious glitch in their system.