Current production 22 revolver’s

As penance for creating thread drift, I called a friend in ranch country with a gun shop who always moved decent revolver numbers.

Said his last price for a 617 was near 900 and he only got the 6 inch in very limiter number in the last 6 months. Gp 100 was one of his consistent arrivals but even then they were over 800 but not by tons. Said that it had still been a few months since his last batch, but in his estimation ruger was most likely to get product out. Albeit he was waiting a while on a single ten for a customer, it would be under 800.

After that he said you pretty much are stuck with Taurus or the budget revolvers, Said ruger must have the capability to make a billion of the wrangler series as they out ran even the height of the panic.

His shop does decent numbers, I'd say his prices are usually just a tad under sportsmans (his closest big box store) so not exactly online store prices but not crazy either. Recommendation was hit up second hand locations, used prices have finally gone below new after the last 3 years of insanity. It's fairly unlikely you'll get a gp100 617 or single ten that's been worn out from use, but it's your best bet for under 800.
I can confirm that with the 617's. I have been looking locally and definitely nothing new in stock. And yea there's a million of the Ruger wrangler out there.
I will be looking for a used 617 this weekend and if nothing is out there I'll probably just go with a semi auto but S&W aren't in stock so Browning or Ruger.

Good choice, if i was buying another revolver it would be the 10rd 617. I have a 17-3 6rd but it would be cool to have a 10 shot. My Taurus is a 7 shot. The Ruger wrangler is cool but a pain to load and unload....

Yeah 617s apparently we're sporadic with big gaps in between shipping times. Guessing that with smith having a glut of autoloaders, fingers crossed they start cranking out much needed revolvers.

Outside of using non standard 22lr ammo, my big reservation that's kept me from acquiring a 617.. is my ruger mk3 hunter. Both are similar weight and hold 10. I'll eventually add in one for cb and other reduced loads, but for now the mk3 will do my small game work.

Maybe i got a bad one but my ruger 22/45 does not cycle well, i know others who have good luck with theirs. Much prefer the s&w victory, i have 2 of those and both will even cycle cci quiet if they are clean and well lubed.

Here is a 10 shot option in a Chiappa switch cylinder

Chiappa CF340.170D 1873 Single Action Army Single 22 LR 7.5" 10rd Black Synthetic Black with 22WMR Cylinder

I know it is not one of the better known brands but for $245.00 it might be worth looking at. It has both the .22 cylinders with it and it looks pretty nice in the picture. Anyone know anything about them.?

Last edited:
People tell me the metal framed Ruger revolvers are good to go, and are a cut above their polymer framed offerings. I got burned on the LCRX and a Rimfire American which couldn't group at 25 yards, and have never really been impressed by any of their other guns that I have handled or shot. To me personally, it is not worth the money to try and find out.

I think one of the short comings of the .22 revolvers in general is the heavy hammer spring required for reliable ignition. It makes them harder to shoot than their center fire alternatives. For a .22 pistol I ended up switching over to a Browning Buckmark which I absolutely love. It was significantly cheaper than my Ruger and out performs it in every conceivable way.
Only ruger experience I have is the ubiquitous 10/22. That particular gun is worth every penny and is famous for a reason. Every home should have one.

Only ruger experience I have is the ubiquitous 10/22. That particular gun is worth every penny and is famous for a reason. Every home should have one.
My CZ 512 Carbine begs to differ lol. Also the 6.5CM is pretty famous now, but ask people on here what they think of it. Sometimes fame/proliferation is good marketing or being in the right place at the right time.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but I will unequivocally say that Ruger will never get another penny from me. I do feel the 10/22 fundamentally is a good platform, but I would rather pay more for one of the upgraded clones from some place like Volquartsen where quality, craftsmanship, precision, accuracy, and reliability really still mean something. Again, if I am forking over my hard earned money, I want to know that I am getting not only a premium product, but the most for my money. So far I have not seen that from Ruger, and everything with their name on the side seems to get an unwarranted mark up.

My CZ 512 Carbine begs to differ lol. Also the 6.5CM is pretty famous now, but ask people on here what they think of it. Sometimes fame/proliferation is good marketing or being in the right place at the right time.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but I will unequivocally say that Ruger will never get another penny from me. I do feel the 10/22 fundamentally is a good platform, but I would rather pay more for one of the upgraded clones from some place like Volquartsen where quality, craftsmanship, precision, accuracy, and reliability really still mean something. Again, if I am forking over my hard earned money, I want to know that I am getting not only a premium product, but the most for my money. So far I have not seen that from Ruger, and everything with their name on the side seems to get an unwarranted mark up.
oh nothing harsh about that. I've had nothing but good experiences with 10/22s and they just feel less "cheap" in my hands than some other semi Autos of that price range.

As for everything else, yeah I don't own any of their centerfires as I feel that they alongside some others, especially browning, kind of rest on their brand name and aren't worth what they ask.

My current lineup of 6 centerfires (and I'm 31 and have lived a very "budget minded" life thus far out of necessity) has 3 savages, a weatherby, and an old husqvarna and old BRNO rifle. I've had others that came and went. But these companies or long since discontinued guns in some cases have been worth every dollar and more to me so far, especially those old mauser type actions…steals of deals! 🤣

I replaced my front porch "somethings in the henhouse" old Mark 1 with a used stainless Single Ten I found at a pawn shop. I like it and it shoots as well as I can. I read that someone else is having problems after 20 rounds but mine hasn't had a hiccup. I had my buddies kids give her a break in with Remington bulk shooting leaves off the ditch bank. No issues. Just my 2 cents.

Sounds like you had some not so good experience with Ruger?
I purchased a new SR40 about 15 years ago and it failed to eject constantly. I contacted Ruger and sent it back. A month or so later I received it back and whoever worked on it was top notch. It now cycles as it should but they also smoothed out the trigger. You shouldn't have to send a gun back but if you have to this is how great CS should work. Possibly things could have changed since then but it was my experience albeit 15 years ago.

S&W, Colt, or Ruger little 22lr, mostly built to last more than the lifetime, of the original owner. S&W even includes a screwdriver, to use in removal of the side plate. Smith put that tool in the box hoping every quarter century or so, a guy might want, just to check the oil in the clock works. It gives ya chance to marvel at the craftsmanship of a Model 34 Kit gun made 70 years earlier. Kit guns are made to go on trout/Elk days, to handle the misc tasks of the trip.