Current production 22 revolver’s

birddog 68

After many years of ownership of a S&W K22 I need a good 22. I purchased the K22 from a friend many years ago and after a few months of him pestering me I relented and sold it back to him.
I have a cheap Heritage 22/22 mag that I purchased for shooting blanks for dog training but it doesn't have adjustable sights and isn't very accurate.
So is there anything new I should be looking at or just shop around for a decent older revolver? I would like to keep cost close to $800 but under this would be nice if possible. Or I may have to save up to buy something decent.
Thanks for any input.

Have you checked out the Taurus Tracker line? I have one in 41mag and it is a solid pistol, granted it is nothing like my S&W 57, but it is solid. The rimfire Trackers look nice and might fill the ticket if you don't want to pay for another S&W. Maybe check out the reviews?

Trackers look nice and might fill the ticket if you don't want to pay for another S&W

Ruger still makes the Single Six
I'll definitely look into these.
When I agreed to sell the S&W back to my buddy I looked at what they were going for so that's what I told him I wanted for it. lol I should have took a picture of his face.
I sold it back to him for what he sold it to me for 20 years ago but I got a good laugh!

That is what I get for breaking my "don't waste money on Ruger" rule.
I know this is a "Ford vs Chevy" situation but I've had extremely good luck with all my Ruger handguns.
I had a Redhawk as a kid and ran several hundred very hot loads through it without a hiccup.
I'd still like to get an 8 shot .357 Redhawk for a carry gun.

I know this is a "Ford vs Chevy" situation but I've had extremely good luck with all my Ruger handguns.
I had a Redhawk as a kid and ran several hundred very hot loads through it without a hiccup.
I'd still like to get an 8 shot .357 Redhawk for a carry gun.

People tell me the metal framed Ruger revolvers are good to go, and are a cut above their polymer framed offerings. I got burned on the LCRX and a Rimfire American which couldn't group at 25 yards, and have never really been impressed by any of their other guns that I have handled or shot. To me personally, it is not worth the money to try and find out.

I think one of the short comings of the .22 revolvers in general is the heavy hammer spring required for reliable ignition. It makes them harder to shoot than their center fire alternatives. For a .22 pistol I ended up switching over to a Browning Buckmark which I absolutely love. It was significantly cheaper than my Ruger and out performs it in every conceivable way.

If you want a single action you won't find many better than a Freedom Arms 83 or 97. I have one of each in 22lr. The 97 is a more reasonable size for a rimfire revolver. They're well over your $800 budget, but in my opinion they're worth saving up for.

Single sixes and tens are solid options in your current price range.

Last edited:
Kind of off topic, but have you thought about any semiautos?
I have a PMR30 thats a hoot to shoot but feels like a toy. Been thinking about a Walther WMP, too.

I've come to love 22 wmr pistols. On small game the shorter Barrel combined with jacketed bullets kill small game really cleanly. Critters that explode with a rifle wmr, are just about right at pistol velocity. And many of the wmr bullets open and harvest a little cleaner on grouse and Ptarmigan. As such my time has been fairly split between a 17 hm2 rifle and an assortment of 22 wmr pistols.

My evolution had been as follows.

Ruger single six convertible stainless, shot super accurate and was bought of the local classifieds for a sweet deal. Remember cold fingers on a big batch of spruce hens outside of paxson when it was -19.... what was easy at 45 was dang near impossible in that cold. Sold it and ordered a pmr. At the time a brick of cheap ammo was 60$ and even decent stuff was 80-100. Ordered a few thousand for whistle pig shoot in Oregon and 5 mags. Around 700 rounds it just started to dissolve, sent it to Kel tec and got another. Around the same amount of rounds we were parked in a field near Christmas valley on a slope and on one shot the slide decided to free itself from this mortal coil and launch itself about 40 feet. It had cracked the rails with a red dot atop... that was atop because the sights had dissolved and the pieces lost in the alfalfa. That one went back for a refund.

Un daunted I ordered a ria pistol, it showed up orange... never seen surface bloom rust like that. Decided to pass on it, as I'm near salt water and need something a bit better on the rust resistance. Few months later a friend of mine bought one and let me put a brick or two through his. It seemed like a decent gun. It's ria 1911 adaption, it's heavy with middle tier fit and finish. It shot fine enough and was a step up from the pmr, but it is as heavy as a 6 inch revolver and has half the capacity of the kel tec. It also only had hiccups with the 30 grain tnt loads.... the ones I bought bogo from reeds in 19'... that I have like 4500 of.

I didn't hate it, but bought a 648 while I still had the ria. The revolver has only 8 rounds, but man does a full size revolver shoot. In my hands birds are not safe to about double the distance with the revolver.

Got a volquartsen for a weekend from an ffl friend of mine. It shot everything well, was heavier than my revolver, cost 1899, and had rails like a 2006 vintage ar15... No doubt it's a sweet unit, but some of my trips are long atv/plane/snowmobile/fat bike/pack raft. Guns are occasionally lost (I haven't yet but I've seen several on our trips go swim or drop out of a holster in a crash) and I've certainly lost mags.... that are 109 on a vq... Was just to hard to justify almost 1500 more than I'd payed for my 648 for that 9 shot repeater.

Wmp came out, and I was pretty stoked. Hoped it was like a better built pmr, kinda split the difference of all of them. My local ffl got 8 in on the second batch and set one aside for me. I was remote and he sold the rest rather rapidly. In the several weeks it took me to get home 3 of the seven had been returned on the 30 day walther money back guarantee. He had one in his possession and since I have a rimfire ammo stash that is a bit over the top we took it out with 8 or 10 flavors of my favorites. We didn't have a single mag that didn't have either a jam or a stove pipe. Honestly it was early college with an amt since I saw a 22 wmr be that miserable (had 3 of those lemmons). I'm not a gunsmith, don't even pretend to be one on tv... but it looked like a magazine fitment/alignment issue. I ended up passing on it. Looking around the web, seems to be hit or miss. Saw an rfc thread the other day that had folks with similar problems and a very similar outcomes, guessing it's more than an isolated batch.

For now I'll stick by my belief that the best 22 wmr pistol is the 648.