Coyote hunting tips

That would be worth while to look at . I've made as many as can be made myself and if we put them together we have made a lot of the same ones . We try to help others so they can skip that part of the learning curve but then you will always have those that have to make the same mistakes even when they have been told about them just to see if they were told right about it being a mistake .

That would be worth while to look at . I've made as many as can be made myself and if we put them together we have made a lot of the same ones . We try to help others so they can skip that part of the learning curve but then you will always have those that have to make the same mistakes even when they have been told about them just to see if they were told right about it being a mistake .
There's an old proverb about being able to learn as much from a fool as you can from a wise man...namely what not to do!
So, let's see what kind of foolish things we have tried...

Starting with:
Calling too loudly.
Calling too soon after moving into position.
Switching quickly from one call to another to another to another.
Not paying attention to wind change(s).
Silhouetting yourself.
Wearing lighter colored gloves.
Fixating on one incoming 'yote and not looking for secondary targets.
Fixating on far away areas and not checking closeup.
Using inappropriate calls for the season/location.

There's a few off the top of my head.

Ed

be pry, I always carry some very fresh alfalfa in the truck bed the smell will fill the air adds a bit of cover smell, be stealthy wind at your face sun at your back, get small I use a light 20 ga 3" mags and light caliber pistol 22mg for close, that happens rarely today 300 hundred plus at times. need to be well aware of of the area get them on that first stop coming in shocks the hell out of them

be pry, I always carry some very fresh alfalfa in the truck bed the smell will fill the air adds a bit of cover smell, be stealthy wind at your face sun at your back, get small I use a light 20 ga 3" mags and light caliber pistol 22mg for close, that happens rarely today 300 hundred plus at times. need to be well aware of of the area get them on that first stop coming in shocks the hell out of them
IME, THE best cover scent is skunk. Bar none.

Another trick to use for open country calling is to be upwind of your e-caller, but over 150-200 yards from it. Coyotes will swing wide and you can see them sooner. Distance also masks some of your small movements as you get into position. They'll be more focused on the e-caller and less likely to spot you.

Ed

A couple others that I have been guilty of are , calling too close to the last stand made , using the same sounds over and over on the same stands , calling the same areas too often , not waiting long enough after stopping calling before leaving the stand .

I thought at some point in life I would be through with these life lessons. Guess not. I just got another a few weeks ago. Here is how it went down. I was tired of honey do's so I decided to grab the gear and give it a whirl. I picked one of my spots that is a ringer. I sat on a small incline looking over a small valley. Cedars and oaks on both sides; openings to fifty yards out front with tall grass and a few small trees. Beautiful morning with no wind. I play my favorite rabbit sounds. After twenty minutes I catch movement to my left. It's a small bobcat elbows up and belly on the ground. I have never seen any animal run like that except in the cartoons. I saw him when he crossed a cattle trail before making it to the cedars. He got within a few feet of me and a few feet of the decoy, unbelievable. If your going to spend the time to go calling get your head in the game. My only excuse was that I was worrying about what I had to get done that day. Stay focused.

I enjoy calling cats . They are time consuming most of the time . I've had them land beside of me when they jumped off of what I was setting in front of to keep them from landing on me . They normally don't need much volume and often will set for long periods at a time with only their tails twitching as they approach . As with the coyote I have to respect they way they respond to calling . And there again tracking them to know where they are helps me .

Has anyone seen one run like that? Elbows up belly on the ground. Still has me shaking my head. Like DSheetzs said most of the time I think they come in sit and just watch the show. Then stealthily move off. This one got a nose and eye full and then was moving on.