Coyote hunting tips

BEST ALL-AROUND CAMO MAIN COLOR

For me it has been mainly browns, like Realtree Advantage, etc. Brown colors worked in Pennsylvania for all seasons (forest floors are brown with dead leaves) as well as here in Nevada's brown/reddish desert country.

Gray's work in semi-snowy country and I have all white synthetic camo suits as well. (Cotton sucks in the snow B/C it gets wet easily and stays wet.)

Eric B.
Out here in the prairie I use mostly Natural gear which blends in well.

I love calling alone ( I think I'm more quiet & stealthy) I call a lot of prairie so not too many trees or anything else to sit by. I hide truck next to a hill, ditch or wherever it can't be seen by coyotes as they are vehicle spooky around here ( legal to shoot out of windows & every rancher does) mostly wind in my face or side wind, sun anywhere except right in my face. ( I love facing west in morning with sun in coyotes face)
I walk in as far as I can & look for a knob or hill overlooking a prairie dog town, pasture with cows are always good as long as not yearlings that all run up to check you out en masse or where I am pretty sure will hold dogs & lay prone with bipods ( I'm very steady that way) a shady spot is excellent also.
Scan the area real good before calling because I have walked up on bedded coyotes that didn't hear me walk in. I usually start out with a couple female or young coyote howls, nothing too intimidating. sometimes they howl back or not. I then wait a few minutes if nothing shows up I will go to pup distress, or PD distress if near a town. (Picture is of my old rifle, Savage model 10 in .223 which is now a Shilen barreled 6mm creedmoor. )
IMG_20161222_153226.jpg
I rarely use rabbit distress here unless it's very cold & they are hungry and they usually show up after howls. I scan with my eyes & try not to move rifle unless they look back or something. ( stopping & looking back alot usually means more than 1 coming in) The young of the year are stupid & will come in from any direction even downwind. If I get a pair & shoot one I grab my howler right away & start KIYI, KIYI & more often than not the second coyote will come back or at least stop for a shot.

Ok two tips on e callers.....
Daytime put the caller up wind and at 45 degree angle from the direction you are looking and expect the predator to come from. That way he is not looking in your direction and if it circles downwind that should put it broadside in front of you.
At night using lights try to keep the e caller very close or use mouth calls because if the critter is not looking in your direction you cannot see it's eyes.......these are not earth shattering tips just common sense.

For the most part I play distress sounds rabbit,birds whatever because it calls all types of predators not just one specific species such as vocals for coyotes. People ask what about educated coyotes they won't come to distress.... well first don't over hunt your ground and that's not really an issue. I usually only hit a place once or twice a year so that not an problem I encounter too often.
Public land more often presents that scenario and you do have to be more deliberate in your calling and sound selection as well as staying on stand longer.

A friend of mine that I turned to predator hunting is using a cardboard decoy of a coyote and it is really earning the 50 bucks it cost him. Of course since it is breeding season the coyotes are pretty keen on who is on first base and second base etc.

Three44s

Hunt where the coyotes are. Been hunting BLM and there are a few coyotes out there and we do kill one every now and then we got permission on a ranch with lots of willow bottom. We know this time of year coyotes are concentrated primarily in the willow bottoms. First day hunting that ranch we missed one and killed one in three sets

That's a great idea. Perfect timing. I guess he just howls?

No, he uses prey and coyote sounds.

He told me that a coyote that was leaving the area had to pause and do another double take at the decoy. I don't remember if he tagged that coyote then or not, I will have to ask him on his next hunt which won't be long as he is here every day off in the AM hunting predators.

The guy is a kick in the pants as he is planning a house party to celebrate his stuffed cougar he killed at 18 yds with his bow that was stalking him when it comes home from the taxidermist.

Three44s

Hunt with a partner to watch your back. Amazing how many dogs come from where you wouldn't expect them.

Let John Deere "do the callin"

My coyotes have gotten too chummy since it got cold here in the PAC NW so my tractor gun is now a feed wagon gun. I rearrange the bales into a quickie shooting bench.

Been doing a little thinning .... four dead in three mornings. The very wisest ones are getting the message and ditching the feed ground as we approach.

The shorter range Ruger American compact in 223 will soon get temporarily retired for a Savage 22-250 or a 204 Ruger also in a Savage bolt gun.

Three44s