Coyote hunting tips

Don't call constantly. Call for a few minutes and shut it down for a few minutes and repeat. It brings the yotes in on search mode. They don't come rushing in full speed, they come in looking for the sound and it's easier to get a shot. Another tip is if you see a yotes from your vehicle don't stop driving. Just drive slowly out of the coyote's sight then stop and make a loop to get in front of him and try calling him in. It's worked for me over 50% of the time. And when they won't come to the usual, rabbit, bird, squirrel, and rodent calls, the can't resist coyote pup in distress.

Complete newbie here. First question: If bacon grease is used successfully, why not scent up with bacon grease? I'd spend the day smelling like bacon even if I wasn't hunting.
A coyote will smell you if he is downwind no matter what you do, but I haven't tried the ozone trick yet... They cann't be fooled like deer, and I doubt it would work on an adult one.

Try not to sit for more than 30 minutes before switching spots, even when you have that feeling of its gonna happen. It's a hard one to stick to but if they haven't come in in 30 minutes their not coming or just aren't in the area. Also when you do move spots, sometimes 300 yards away is plenty far enough for the next set

Spice up your deer feeder in order to put more venison in the freezer and fur on the wall. Add sunflower seeds to the corn in your feeder. Almost all animals and birds love them. They help your deer through the winter by providing fats and oils. Sunflower seeds bring in birds and squirrels which ring the lunch bell for varmints. Set your call out before you get in your stand. When you have given up on the deer crank up a bird or squirrel in distress. This also works great early and late before or after deer season. This works better with stands and feeders with good cover. Like bow stands. This would open up a great opportunity to take one with a bow. It is especially effective on fox and bobcat. PS- If you try this make sure your feeder has bars or some protection. If not the birds will take the seeds and dump a lot of corn.

Last edited:
Your prey sounds not working. Well, no wonder tomorrow is Valentine's day. Even the coyote knows there is love in the air. Pull out that howler you have been practicing on. Play them your best love lorn medium to high pitched tune. Please no rough deep tones or barking. Just sweet come on over big boy be my Valentine.

Spring is just around the corner and along with that comes Juniperus ashei. The cedar tree. The hills in south Texas look like they are on fire as the pollen is blown in the wind. This can be very bothersome for those with sinus problems. Ranchers think of these trees as a nuisance because they use so much of the available water. Junipers or Cedars whatever you call them they are a blessing for the coyote hunter. Before spray scent control we put our clothes in sealed trash bags with cedar limbs to try and cover any odors. Today I like to set up with a cedar tree at my back. It gives me good cover and scent control. So break out the Benadryl and give them a try.

Last edited:
Was watching Coyote Country and he threw out a pretty good tip so I thought I would pass it on. Keep an eye on the birds. When you are scouting and you have crows and birds of prey you probably have coyotes. They are hanging around because there is small prey in the area that coyotes also take advantage of. When you are calling birds will often come in first. When this happens you know you are doing things right. Get ready.

" Understanding Coyotes" the comprehensive guide for hunters, photographers, and wildlife observers by Micheal Huff. This is a pretty good book. I thought I would pass it on. So let's run a contest for the next month. In order to win all you have to do is post the best coyote hunting tip or coyote story under this thread. Everyone can vote by just clicking on like under the post. What ever new tip or tale has the most likes by May 1, will be the winner. I will send you the book. Good Luck.

Last edited:
There was a big ranch where we used to go shoot coyotes during calving season to help the rancher. We would see them trotting along when we were driving in and would stop and bail out to shoot at them. BUT one would only get that opportunity if driving faster like at the speed the ranchers would drive with their utility quads when working. If one drove slow at road hunting speed then the coyotes would figure it out and you wouldnt see them. Smart critters!

My brother and his grown son were team turkey hunting this past weekend. They picked a pretty tight cedar thicket to set up. This was a bow stand set up with feeder and camera. The camera showed the turkeys made their rounds about eight. They both took 3.5" magnums, calls, and decoys. They got there early and set out a female decoy. They decided to sit together on the ground. My brother started with a few yelps. Then a little cutting. Out of the corner of his left eye he caught motion. Two coyotes coming down the fence line. He nudged his son. They eased to the left and got ready. Then from no where a crashing sound from the cedars over their right shoulder. A FLASH! A large coyote hits the decoy in a full run! Never slows and is gone! This also spooked the two coming down the fence line and their gone. They were and still are so upset and discombobulated not a shot fired. This post does not qualify for the book give away. So come on gentlemen lets hear your stories.

Last edited:
3 thumbnail.jpg
After the above rodeo my brother said get down here quick or I am not going to have a Turkey left. I was excited. I called Fox Pro and down loaded all the newest turkey and hog sounds. Jumped in the truck and away I went. I only had this evening and the morning to hunt. We rushed around, tried two sets using the latest sounds. On the second set I saw two shadows move off as we got set up(busted). The next morning my brother said let's get back to basic calls and try our tried and true spot. Three minutes in, success. A few lessons here. Slow down. You have got to get set up without being seen, heard, or smelled. When things get tough get back to basics. Certain spots are golden. They keep producing time after time.
Tesoro congrats you won the book. I will be mailing it to you. Everyone lets keep the coyote tips and stories coming.

Last edited:

Recent Posts