Contender/SSK-5 Hanger System

K9TXS

Anyone use a forearm hanger on their Contender/SSK-50? I've read where some shooters that do use it feel it makes the platform a little more accurate? With the hanger, the forearm attaches with on bolt instead of two.

I'm in the process of making up an aluminum forearm for my SSK-50 and may using a hanger on it.

Here is a good read on the hanger bar: LINK

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-09-17 at 10.19.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-09-17 at 10.19.51 AM.png
    437.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I have not noticed any appreciable difference in accuracy between my hanger bar barrels and my other barrels. However I free float and pillar bed the majority of my barrels/ Forends.

I would think if you are milling your own aluminum forend, you could mill it to free float the barrel just making contact at the screw studs.

I can't see how any of the bedding/mounting methods would be better than any other. No matter what you do it's not going to be floated.

I have went back to forends mounted right on the barrel without bedding and don't really see a difference.

I prefer minimum contact. I have not, and will not perform any scientific tests to see if there are differences. BUT I always felt like every move I made, whether that, trigger improvements, rests, target types, or load experiments helped me improve overall shooting accuracy.

On a factory forend, composite especially, something as simple as a couple small ss washers provide the clearance I wanted. I do have some hanger bars, and pillars as well.

I never noticed any accuracy differences in forearm attachment options on my encores or g2 tenders. That being said my friend the late Ray Prager/ old fart did have a great forearm design with very minimal contact. I have a couple but haven't tested them yet.

I concur with Chris that you can't truly free float a TC barrel. But you can standardize the pressure points. Like Kyode and Doug, dedicated frames, barrels, furniture and I don't know which or care which modification makes the difference as long as I get the results I expect out of any given setup. I just like or dislike to know that it's the nut behind the trigger that is at fault.

Some of mine have hangar bars and some don't. At one time Bullberry would only guarantee the accuracy of their barrels if you used their hanger bar. I think Fred might have believed in them, or at least the $ they added to the sale ;) I have, at times used a small rubber O-ring around the forearm screws, no idea if it helped or not, I couldn't shoot the difference in any case!

Anyone use a forearm hanger on their Contender/SSK-50? I've read where some shooters that do use it feel it makes the platform a little more accurate? With the hanger, the forearm attaches with on bolt instead of two.

I'm in the process of making up an aluminum forearm for my SSK-50 and may using a hanger on it.

Here is a good read on the hanger bar: LINK
I use a hanger on a pistol. I too float the rest of the stock etc for no contact points and have had no issue dialing in a load.

Don Bower….the original long range handgun guy….bolted the wood forearms directly to the barrels….🤔
Just think how much better he could of shot if he had the internet 😂

Seriously, the article on Don was why I got into contenders. Bought his whole shooting system from him, rest, modified grip, & forend. I think it set me back $110 bucks.