Tacoma Chains

is it a SR with 4x4? Chains aren't usually enough. Matter of fact, chains aren't always required if you have 4x4.

I have a 19 Tacoma TRD pro, amongst other 4x4s. Tires matter. 3 peak mountain snowflake rated. Even then, there's some slip and slide on ice. You're not going to get around sliding on packed ice. You'll slide on chains too.
One of my Tundras had Wild Peak A/T3W and they are pretty bad arse.

One of my Tundras had Wild Peak A/T3W and they are pretty bad arse.
I have the newer At4w. I agree, the Falcons are pretty good. They replaced the Toyo open country at3's which lasted only about 25,000 miles.
They got warrantied out.

I only mention it because the Toyo's left a lot to be desired in snow specifically. Probably the worst tires in snow and wet that I've had are the BFG Ko2s that I still have on my Jeep Tj for some reason.

I've lived full time in CO since 1976. Had a second home in Leadville, 10,000 ft, for many years. The only times I have ever had issues in snow was high centering on my skid plates. The only way out is a long handled shovel to dig the snow out. I do have (and always have had) a 4x4, F150s, F250s, Jeep CJ, Suzuki Samurai, and for the last 20+ years Tacomas. I have never used chains. Only used shovels, winches, extraction boards, jerk straps, etc. Rarely used my winch and only as a last resort.

Where will you be hunting and at what altitude? If there's a lot of snow, the elk will move down.

I have the newer At4w. I agree, the Falcons are pretty good. They replaced the Toyo open country at3's which lasted only about 25,000 miles.
They got warrantied out.

I only mention it because the Toyo's left a lot to be desired in snow specifically. Probably the worst tires in snow and wet that I've had are the BFG Ko2s that I still have on my Jeep Tj for some reason.
The K02 are designed for a heavier truck - just like my F350 would eat K03s for lunch about once a week. The 3s are for your truck's class weight. At my weight the 02's have worked really well and lasted 50k+.

The K02 are designed for a heavier truck - just like my F350 would eat K03s for lunch about once a week. The 3s are for your truck's class weight. At my weight the 02's have worked really well and lasted 50k+.
Actually e load is for heavier weight. The tires on the Jeep are c loads. About as low of a load as you can get 35s to be honest.
IMG_3498.jpeg

The tread isn't what's the problem with the Ko2. It's the sliding in the wet and snow.

The Toyos are what wore on my truck. Those were SLs in an almost 33s. They just sucked. A lot of people had similar problems with them.

Last edited:
I think the advice to practice in the driveway is good! In addition, put them on before you need them. When you are thinking maybe I should chain up, it's probably best to just do it.

I can tell you that chaining up too late is awful. A lot of digging, crawling around in the snow, and they never seem to fit they should when you are cold and frustrated.
I have a hard philosophy about this. 2 wheel drive is what you use to get you in. 4wd is for getting you OUT after you already screwed up in 2wd. The trick with chains is knowing when you about to screw up - and still get home. Oh - and without the tow fee!

In other words - if you know you need 4wd to get in - you better have a real good plan and equipment.

Okay - and some skills and experience....

On ice chains only way to go! Got into place last year bad ice. put clankers on all four found a to turn around. Met afamily coming out the gals and kids were walking got trying to back down. Put the gals in with me went by him I kept going back and forth tearing the ice up. got them out of there they were very appreciative to say the least. Cold north facing draw.

In my nearly 55 years of hunting the High Cascades Mountian in the winter, I've always had a two pairs of heavy-duty V-bar chains with me, or... on the rig, with that said; Since around 1974 I also never went up without a Warne winch on my rigs, with enough extra line and a good snatch block & shackles.
It quite easy to get into trouble even with chains on. Today, I run a Warne 12,000 lbs on my Ford F-350 super-duty deisle. I think, for hunting our just long remote travel trips the "Winch" is the best investment you can make for getting yourself or others out of trouble in the woods or on the road. My wife and I just came back from a trip through B.C. Canada over to Alaska, back to the Yukon, then up the Dempster WHY through North West Territory, to the Arctic Ocean then back to Washington I would have never make that trip without a winch on my truck. So, chains are great, but... a winch will give you a little peace of mind and help get you out if you should get stuck with chains on or off. Just my .02 Cheers

In my nearly 55 years of hunting the High Cascades Mountian in the winter, I've always had a two pairs of heavy-duty V-bar chains with me, or... on the rig, with that said; Since around 1974 I also never went up without a Warne winch on my rigs, with enough extra line and a good snatch block & shackles.
It quite easy to get into trouble even with chains on. Today, I run a Warne 12,000 lbs on my Ford F-350 super-duty deisle. I think, for hunting our just long remote travel trips the "Winch" is the best investment you can make for getting yourself or others out of trouble in the woods or on the road. My wife and I just came back from a trip through B.C. Canada over to Alaska, back to the Yukon, then up the Dempster WHY through North West Territory, to the Arctic Ocean then back to Washington I would have never make that trip without a winch on my truck. So, chains are great, but... a winch will give you a little peace of mind and help get you out if you should get stuck with chains on or off. Just my .02 Cheers
Apparently not this group. Dudes are carrying full spare batteries with them. They'd probably burn out their alternator trying to winch.

But yeah I have a warn 9000i that dam near 20 years old on my jeep, which is 20 years old, and a warn evo on my Tacoma. Hard to beat a Warn for recovery.