Toyota Tacoma

It's not a gearing problem per se…I mean, the manual is nice with more appropriate gears if we are talking about personal opinion, but when talking about actual gearing… the issue is the transmission and how they did the PCM software.

Which will be solved on the next gen.

The specifics is they used that AI software in the PCM, where it "learns your driving habits" for fuel economy. That's where all the gear hunting comes from. It works good in the Camry but not a 6 speed Taco.

They redid the software in 19' and it was way better but still… disconnecting the battery will reset it but driving for a little bit it will eventually hold the wrong gear too long, switch and go back.

Interesting, but you are right in that what I was experiencing was a transmission problem not a gear problem unless we get into tire size and axle gear ratios. I won't claim to be much of an auto mechanic, but as an end user my Tacoma always struggled to find the right gear even doing seemingly basic stuff. I remember driving and yelling at it to shift already and it never would lol. The 6th gear was unobtanium as well.

What is the Intel on the 2024 TRD? Any improvements over previous models?
It's all on their website now. New frame,turbo 4 cyl or hybrid. New suspension etc.
I have 2021 off-road with 2" lift and one size bigger tire in 10 ply. Just went 1400 miles at 80 mph was getting 17 mpg. Definitely shifts a lot in hills on hwy. love the truck for off-road and around town. Not the most comfortable on long trips in my opinion. It's my 3rd one and never had any issues mechanically at all.

The Tacoma is a great truck, but like mentioned the fuel economy is not the greatest. They are small which makes them very nimble on the trail and can go where other larger trucks might not be able to. I have owned I think three of them. Now days I drive a Honda Ridgeline because I don't need that REAL off road duty vehicle and most of my use is on the highway. Also, ride quality is much better and fuel economy on the highway is around 30 mpg with around town about 26. So, if off-road use is very infrequent, but you still need a bed for hauling and etc., then I would highly recommend the Ridgeline. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I've often considered getting a Tacoma. Friends had them and they just seem to last forever. My only reason for not getting one was payload and power. If my gas guzzling GMC ever kicks the bucket, I may just buy one.

I'm driving a 2018 now . I've had three Tacoma TRD sport , all double cab , long bed , V-6 , auto . I've liked them all . no problems with any of them . I'm thinking on getting a new one now , a 2023 ,while I can still get the V-6 . I'm not sold on the turbo charged , small engine .

I've had three as well. Middle one was a manual so it would shift when I wanted but with traffic now that got old fast too. I had a third generation TRD off road was certainly one of the worst trucks in the snow. If you disabled the traction control so you could get some speed and spin the tires (last hill into camp) it would turn the dam thing back on because of speed and it would gag down until you were sitting still. Ridiculous!

Got a Gladiator was really great fit for my needs but dam thing was a Mopar product and the 4wd was out most of the winter because of some sensor they couldn't get. Yeah, I had to be that guy and drag the service manager into the owners office. After that they miraculously found one the next week.

Went back to full size. Had a Chevy for ten years put 225K on it. Bought a '22 with the 3.0 Diesel. Averaged 30MPG on 1,600 mile trip running 70-80. Worst has been 24 short trip I was romping on it LOL. Incredibly quiet!!!

Well, my only data point to offer (from the stone ages) was the 2000 SR5 V6 Tacoma I had and it was great. It was a manual and got about 21.0 MPG. I put 211,000 on it and traded it in on a 5.7 Tundra in 2013, which I just sold. I wish I could have hung on to that Tacoma. They are so much better than Tundras off road (IMHO) but they just don't have the space I need. I was seriously considering getting the new 4th Gen Tacoma (really wanted that 6-speed manual) and I think the A24T-FTS turbo 4 is a safe bet because it has been in use in some Lexus models and the Highlander for a few years now, so it's not like the motor hasn't had a chance to "work out the bugs". Long story short, I got another Tundra coming in next week (TRD Limited). Good discussion.

I've often considered getting a Tacoma. Friends had them and they just seem to last forever. My only reason for not getting one was payload and power. If my gas guzzling GMC ever kicks the bucket, I may just buy one.
I like the looks too but...I'm a good ole GMC or Ford kinda guy too.
American Flag GIF

I would highly recommend looking at the new Hybrid coming out. I have a Tundra Hybrid and absolutely love it. It is much quicker and better for towing than the regular Tundras that came out last year. I get 20-21 MPG on the highway with a 4x4 Limited which is only 1-2 MPG better than the non-hybrids, but you will notice a big increase in power and torque.

Recent Posts