Components - How Far Will You Travel to Purchase a Brick of FM215?

How far will you travel?

• 100 Miles?

Votes: 67 87.0%
  • 500 Miles?

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • 1,000 Miles?

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters
Depends on what car I'm driving and the weather

Truck- 12mpg-- all creature comforts
Harley-35 mpg -- must be nice weather
Geo metro- 43mpg --uncomfortable cramped rattle basket commuter but hard to beat the mpg and heat&a/c work great. Parts and tires are cheap too.

But I use cci primers so I'm not driving far for federal-- and I have about 10 years of primer stock so I'm still not driving far for any unless it's a great deal.

It all depends on the primer cost too--- if the guy is charging $150/brick I'd drive 0 miles-- if it's $35/ brick I might drive a bit.

Funny that you should ask. We do silly things when we're desperate. LOL

I was lamenting here on LRH about how badly I needed some Fed 210M primers and that I hadn't seen any in a year. One of the posters said that he saw them in two local stores where he lives in Conn. I live on Lng Island.

I called both stores, one was out but the other had 2 bricks. I tried to pay for them over the phone but the guy wouldn't let me. I explained that I will be driving from NY and can't take the chance of someone selling them before I get there. The guy said I'll put them in the back and they'll be here when you arrive.

I would say it was at least 100mi each way. I just made a day trip out of it and got the primers. They were $115 each IIRC. He had plenty of CCI primers on the shelf but they were even more expensive.
At lease you got them.

So with components being more scarce than politician integrity, how far will you drive to purchase certain components in person such as powder or primers? Is a days drive worth the time and gas cost for a brick of FM 215 primers?

Just how desperate are you?
Currently, I don’t think things are that difficult to get. However, in the past they were and I see it all the time and there’s even proof right here.
1. Hoarding
2. New shooters

People think they will hoard up all this stuff and if somehow laws change that they will have all these items and not be impacted. That’s not how it works. Lot of Hollywood nonsense.
I think the current estimate is around 7 million new shooters in recent years. That has a huge impact on pricing and availability. Perhaps the recent decision to put more resources into law enforcement will reduce the individual need to provide their own security.

To your question. There was a time, years ago, I drove from west Texas to Flagstaff Arizona to get components. I think those days are behind us.

Food for thought

I haven’t ordered any online, not a single one. I live in a long stretch of rural towns between two larger cities that are 120 miles apart. I’ve been to either city on multiple occasions. I’ve never gone just looking for primers but I stop at just about every store that might have them while I’m there. I was lucky with my old job I was driving to one of the larger cities daily so I would check most of the stores on an almost daily basis, I wasn’t missing the shipments.

So with components being more scarce than politician integrity, how far will you drive to purchase certain components in person such as powder or primers? Is a days drive worth the time and gas cost for a brick of FM 215 primers?

Just how desperate are you?
I drove 9 hours round trip during peak covid for 11,000 primers at retail.

Think I have you all beat, last year when I saw shortages coming I couldn’t find federal 215 primers, Cabela’s of Canada had them course they don’t ship to Pennsylvania, but I was going for a moose hunt in October so they shipped them to my outfitter, and I think I went just over 1100 miles to pick them up, and kill a moose. Always a good time in Newfoundland
🐦🐦☠️🥔

I'll just ration what I have and wait for supply to become available. I'll pay average retail price at that time. I may give up some range time, but will have ammo for hunting. I will not contribute to price gouging or scalping. So, I won't drive more than 25 miles.