Compact stove advice

All the different Jetboil models have different features. I use the minimo a lot. The reason is solely that it has a pizio starter and it's short. I don't like having to fish out my lighter to start my stove. Yes, I'm a backpack hunter.

Which brings me to the next one. When you ARE considering weight, and size, because Jetboil do take up space, I use a toaks titanium 750ml cup and a MSR pocket rocket deluxe. I lost my OG pocket rocket some years ago. Still hated fishing out a lighter then too.

It has a wind deflection feature.
So does the Jetboil.

With the MSR you have to measure you water for meals with a nalgene. With the Jetboils, there's some markings inside the pot, and it comes with a oz's measuring cup. Both are pretty fast but in the wind the Jetboil I think is more quick.

I have a cheap $10 Amazon stove too. It sucks.
The name brands are going to be way more fuel efficient and durable.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Are you looking for something for one or two people, or for a group?

Agree with @dfanonymous , Jetboil Minimo is nice. It's a little larger but you can regulate the flame if your into cooking (as opposed to boiling water).

MSR Pocket rocket coupled with a Toaks titanium cup is super simple, reliable, and lightweight.

Have both of the above. Primus makes some good stoves too.

I tried a JetBoil, and wasn't impressed. It was big, expensive, and heavy for a backpack stove. I use a small MSR Pocket Rocket type stove with the piezio lighter. I too hate digging out my lighter and burning the hairs off my fingers.

I use an MSR titanium Titan Kettle. The large fuel canister fits inside. It is short and fat (so more stable and more efficient), and very light. The lid is heavy, so I cut a piece of aluminum flashing and put a wire circle in it for a handle. I fillid it with one cup of water and put a dimple in the side to mark it, then filled it with two cups and put another diimple. I now have a measuring cup. I cut the bottom out of a plastic bottle, and use that for a cup. It nests inside the kettle.

For wind protection, I use an 8"x10" piece of aluminum flashing. A rubber band holds it around the fuel canister. You don't want the flashing to go all the way around, because it could overheat the fuel canister. I cut a small round piece of flashing to fit over the canister and under the stove to reflect heat. REI sells stabilizing legs for the small canisters to make things more stable.

For car camping, I have a single burner propane stove that uses the 1 lb. cannisters. Much more stable, so I can use a larger pot. Tractor Supply sells a refillible 1 lb. tank you can fill from your barbeque tank. Coleman makes a one burner butane stove that is very compact. My grandson bought one of those, and is very happy with it.

Plus 1 for the MSR pocket rocket stove
I have 8 different types/brands, jet boil is there to but I prefer the MSR
For its simplicity,heat output (means less fuel canisters) and small size for packability.
I use a Olicamp 1 liter cup that the stove fits in.

For backpacking and hunting- Pocket rocket deluxe (the deluxe has built in igniter) with Ti cup. Small can of fuel and the stove fit inside for when not in use.
For truck/other trips i uses jet boil

Identical setup to BC slayer. Keep jetboil in the truck as back up and to exhaust previously used fuel canisters. Titanium toaks pit and pocket rocket without piezo. Just carry two mini bics for starting stove and survival items anyway. I would have at least one anyway with the piezo in case it broke.