Cold temp affecting terminal performance of plastic tipped bullets

Is atmospheric drag really enough to melt lead? If this were so, all-lead bullets would melt before arrival on target. Plus, the ballistic coefficient would be unstable and continually degrade. Some might never even get there.

I maybe wrong, but my instincts tell me that even a bullet sent from a superheated chamber at +/- 1,900 mph through -20°F is still going to arrive pretty darn cold.

This may need a physics degree to solve, I don't know what the thermal coefficient of hardness is for lead. Does anyone have an ASTM manual?

I'd just solve it with a follow-up shot. It takes much less time than a Bachelor of Science.

When was the last time you shot a led bullet at 3000+ FPS. All of the load data I see for lead bullets is half that....reduced loads.

I personally am calling B.S. on Hornady's claims, first melting point of lead is like 620F and if they add any tin it goes up to 750F very quickly, once below that temp lead hardens the BC doesn't continue to drop it levels out (if fps stays constant) and the 1/4 a second its there at those temps the tip might go from a sharp point to a round point... maybe. Ever walked on a berm and looked for your bullets and found others that look like you could just load them and shoot again (with lead tips) Don't get me wrong, I like the ELD/ELD-X line of bullets as well as there other bullets and use them a lot, but there claims are to too far fetched for me to believe. Ok off my soapbox.

Back a while I was reading where someone was annealing their bonded bullets and found that they got better/deeper penetration and less fragmentation by doing so. Maybe it was ballistic studies?? but there was a section on bullets acting different at different temps. I will look and see what I find and report back/

I personally am calling B.S. on Hornady's claims, ...
Don't get me wrong, I like the ELD/ELD-X line of bullets as well as there other bullets and use them a lot, but there claims are too far fetched for me to believe. Ok off my soapbox.
Glad you settled that for us.
You ever been launched @ 3000fps?

no I haven't but I do know the melting points of metal and from the video they presented, their claims (to me) from what I've found are false.

Why have you been to 3000fps?? is it hot?? did you melt? or do you just believe everything you read on the internet. I see where they are coming from but the ammout of time spent at the temp that melts lead from "their" video.... not gunna happen. If it was sooooooo bad why are all there bullets not made that way? why would they sell cheap inferior bullets that melt away to nothing when we shoot them and like I said in the beginning "I personally"

no I haven't...

Why have you been to 3000fps?? is it hot?
Figured you must be an astronaut or test pilot to call BS over the top of professional ballisticians.
Do you measure MV based on recoil too?
No, haven't flown thru the atmosphere @ 3000fps, but neither do I claim to be more expert than professionals in their field of work.

could it be a selling point, to sell something no one else has?? I just dont see it making that much of a difference.
What does measuring recoil have to do with the temp of a bullet during flight?? Or is that just how you make yourself fell better... by trying to make fun of people, FWIW I use a Lab Radar
and for a second time if you watch the video they claim the bullet is still changing shape even though the lead is way below its melting point and losing BC.
maybe you can explain how lead changes shape do to heat when it below its melitng point to me and maybe I will understand it better.

What does measuring recoil have to do with the temp of a bullet during flight?? Or is that just how you make yourself fell better... by trying to make fun of people, FWIW I use a Lab Radar...
Put a job application in with Hornady, and set them straight. Make sure to tell them you know the melting point of lead. That could make all the difference!
When you don't understand, that makes it BS?

I've played a lot with annealing bullets and changing their characteristic and it takes time + heat to change the function so you'd need a high enough velocity combined with a pretty decent range to even start to get close but by the time you reach enough time you loose the other needed components. The heat from firing a bullet is concentrated more on the base and bearing surface of the bullet but usually to get a bullet hot enough from firing that it changes the bullet it takes a string of firing, Berger added a few thousand to their jackets to stop this issue during a heavy string of fire, Hornady and Nosler heavier hunting bullets are far thicker and the base then thin out so they are even less effected by the heat of firing. The least likely bullets to be effected are a Hornady ELD, between the thicker base and lower jacket and the high temp tip (which I don't buy into) they are temp stable.

Shooting a swift at 4000fps will have the meplat see temps close to 1400 degrees F. That is well above the 600ish that it takes to melt lead.
During the first gulf war many soldiers came home with radiation injury's. Especially those that were tasked with clearing the road to Basra of enemy and vehicles. The 30mm round that is depleted uranium fired from the warthog was the cause. Those rounds were heated to about 1200 degrees and were a hazard.
Pretty good explanation in this video. I tried to find the video of a 150grn 06 in flight with the lead tip melting on camera. It will take some time to find but it does happen

I missed that he was shooting a swift at 4000 fps!
When you heat the tip of a bullet to the point of annealing it leaves very visible indicators on a jacket that one should have no issue seeing when recovered if it is the issue!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.