Cleaning firearms

I missed a buck of a life time as he scented me from a very long distance. I did not put any scent on me so I wondered where it came from.
A close buddy was hunting 1/4 mile from me on a hill top and watched the deer scent me. He had no shot and the buck was long gone by the time I got to where I had seem him before but always wondered how a buck can scent me with no scent products on me.
I am positive it was not a fart as I had not eaten yet.
Now I think it was some smell that alarmed him. Possibly a solvent smell as I had to fine tune a load for the 30-06 as no one had Partitions so I changed bullets and had to zero that new load 3 weeks before season opened. Still have that that Ruger 77 tang safety rifle.
I am testing the product from Walmart "Scent A Way", Alcohol sounds like good advice as the smell fades fast.

I missed a buck of a life time as he scented me from a very long distance. I did not put any scent on me so I wondered where it came from.
A close buddy was hunting 1/4 mile from me on a hill top and watched the deer scent me. He had no shot and the buck was long gone by the time I got to where I had seem him before but always wondered how a buck can scent me with no scent products on me.
I am positive it was not a fart as I had not eaten yet.
Now I think it was some smell that alarmed him. Possibly a solvent smell as I had to fine tune a load for the 30-06 as no one had Partitions so I changed bullets and had to zero that new load 3 weeks before season opened. Still have that that Ruger 77 tang safety rifle.
I am testing the product from Walmart "Scent A Way"
The Buck could have been spooked by something else also. Or possibly your breath was scented by him depending on the wind. I am always more concerned with my breath getting me busted more than anything else I may have.

The Buck could have been spooked by something else also. Or possibly your breath was scented by him depending on the wind. I am always more concerned with my breath getting me busted more than anything else I may have.
Thanks for that! That may be the problem, more than solvents!
The wife often says I have hocky breath!

After cleaning one of my rifles the wife asked me,"How do you get that smell off that rifle"?
I didn't notice a smell but she has a great nose for smells.
So what do you use to clean the "smell" off your rifles after cleaning?
Wash your hands before cleaning and don't eat fish 10 minutes before?....

Thanks for that! That may be the problem, more than solvents!
The wife often says I have hocky breath!
I got to have my coffee in the morning. And I am a smoker. So not a great combination. I don't think the smoke is such a issue but the coffee may be ? I have deer walk in, right after firing up a smoke. On more than one occasion. Older brother has had the same results. I think the deer get curious over the smoke. Just my opinion. No science behind it. lol

I got to have my coffee in the morning. And I am a smoker. So not a great combination. I don't think the smoke is such a issue but the coffee may be ? I have deer walk in, right after firing up a smoke. On more than one occasion. Older brother has had the same results. I think the deer get curious over the smoke. Just my opinion. No science behind it. lol
Just me but I can smell cigarette smoke from a long ways. Let alone on people. I can smell it on hwy from a car 200 yds or more front of me. My nose ****es some people off. Their fabric softener and perfumed laundry detergent that buddy's wives like and they are used to and can't even smell, it grosses me out. I ask them, you wash your hunting clothes in same washer and dry in same dryer ? Its why when you get in my truck in morning I bitch that I'm going to smell like you. They get ****ed. I don't give a ****. They should know better. Sorry if offended anybody . 🙄

Last edited:
That sounds right!
I had a friend in Louisiana that smoked cigars while on his tree stand!
He often killed his deer way before I did.