Tips for a new handgun hunter you wish someone would have shared with you.

Whitetails45

I'm starting to become more dedicated to handgun hunting.
I have always thought about switching over as I have shot revolvers contenders etc for quite awhile. Was just looking for tips as this will be my first year hunting with a handgun.
Will be using a 44 mag super blackhawk hunter.

Don't get discouraged. Hunting with a handgun is more difficult than hunting with archery equipment. You are hunting when there are more other hunters out there (rifle season),you can't wear camouflage, like bowhunters can.

With that said,the rewards are greater. You had to work harder to accomplish the same end result. Just keep on keeping on.

You have to sell out to the handgun. First get a handgun. Sounds like you have one. Then get an all day, all the time holster to carry. For my 44 mag, I like:

Then study handgun bullet performance. Right or wrong, I'm convinced bullets kill best when they are the largest diameter that will still exit. I shoot a 240 gr swc in my 44 mag.

Then, you have to shoot it and learn its intricacies, especially how to hold it steady. I use steady sticks and improvised rests. Most importantly, you need to shoot it enough to know you will hit or miss based on how steady it is being held. Once you get a feel for steady and consistent accuracy, go hunt!

As nksmfamjp you have to study your handgun ballistics. I found that jackrabbits were a really good ballistic material. I prefer a 255 grain .44 SWC with a gas check. I think the gas check protects the bullet base. I actually designed a 265 grain TC.44 bullet and made a mold. It is slightly more accurate than the 255 SWC but I don't think it brings down an animal as well as the SWC . Hard to beat that full diameter hole to let blood out and cold air in. Probably just my opinion, but I'm a believer.