Cleaning firearms

After cleaning one of my rifles the wife asked me,"How do you get that smell off that rifle"?
I didn't notice a smell but she has a great nose for smells.
So what do you use to clean the "smell" off your rifles after cleaning?
This reminded me of an occasion way back in the early 1990s when I was stationed at DMAFB in Tucson, AZ. It was that time of year when I cleaned all my rifles. I had a couple of blankets full of firearms to clean. I had been going at it for a few hours when my friend called and said he would stop by and drop something off. I could not remember what solvent I was using then, but my leaving room was overpowered by solvent scent despite all the windows open.

When the doorbell rang, I had a handgun behind my back and proceeded to open the door since I was expecting my friend. Unfortunately, that was not the case. It was an elderly gentleman and a younger lady. They were JWs and just sharing the good message from God. They were nice about it, and I did not want to be rude, especially when they insisted it would only take 5 minutes of my time. So, I let them in and offered them a seat. However, when they saw the spread, the gentleman said, it appears you are busy so that we will come back another day. I was stationed there for nearly 4 years, but they never returned. 🤣 😍 :cool:

This reminded me of an occasion way back in the early 1990s when I was stationed at DMAFB in Tucson, AZ. It was that time of year when I cleaned all my rifles. I had a couple of blankets full of firearms to clean. I had been going at it for a few hours when my friend called and said he would stop by and drop something off. I could not remember what solvent I was using then, but my leaving room was overpowered by solvent scent despite all the windows open.

When the doorbell rang, I had a handgun behind my back and proceeded to open the door since I was expecting my friend. Unfortunately, that was not the case. It was an elderly gentleman and a younger lady. They were JWs and just sharing the good message from God. They were nice about it, and I did not want to be rude, especially when they insisted it would only take 5 minutes of my time. So, I let them in and offered them a seat. However, when they saw the spread, the gentleman said, it appears you are busy so that we will come back another day. I was stationed there for nearly 4 years, but they never returned. 🤣 😍 :cool:
That sounds very effective.

After cleaning one of my rifles the wife asked me,"How do you get that smell off that rifle"?
I hope that you will keep us updated. I am interested to see how this all turns out.

I have been told that I am strange, for any variety of reasons, mostly because I've been a tomboy most of my life. 🥸 To me, the scent of gun cleaning products like, Hoppe's, is similar to the scent of an expensive perfume. Don't get me wrong, I don't dab it behind my ears however, have never found the scent of any gun cleaning products, possibly with the exception of copper removers containing ammonia as a turnoff. In reality the scent from cleaning solvents subsides and eventually goes away after a short time because of evaporation. I wouldn't worry about taking any steps to remove the scent simply because by removing the product to remove the scent also removes the protective properties of the product. A lady friend of mine didn't particularly like the scent of Hoppe's while cleaning her firearms so I gave her a bottle of Outers to try. I still and forever will use Hoppes, she uses Outers. In both cases our firearms are squeaky clean and everybody is happy.