Chronographing Shotguns???

A-Tip

Hi all, i have a friend that is reloading for goose hunting and he wants to know how fast his loads are going. Has anyone tried chronographing their shotgun loads? What were your results?

I shoot a lot of shotgun shells. I have tried using the new Garmin with shotguns and it does now work well.

Sorry I cannot help more........

I use this ….

I take the "triangle's" off and use this like you would with a rifle/pistol. 10' from the muzzle works great with shotguns.

Attachments

• IMG_6303.png
    IMG_6303.png
    310.8 KB · Views: 28
Hi all, i have a friend that is reloading for goose hunting and he wants to know how fast his loads are going. Has anyone tried chronographing their shotgun loads? What were your results?
Friends and I own Metro Barrel Extensions for our shotguns to shoot subsonic loads. We loaded "T" Shot ITX loads for early Canada Goose hunting in urban areas. We used an inexpensive Competition Eng. ProChrono. Had no issues whatsoever with the chronograph, we must have had shot 100+ shotgun shells through that chronograph finding a load to cycle 100% through our 6 different Benelli SBE shotguns.

1724748405471.png

Metro Barrel Extension
The Metro Gun System was developed for shotgun shooting in areas or at times when noise is not a desirable effect. As a secondary effect, the Metro Gun System will reduce felt recoil by as much as 80%, and when used with special sub-sonic ammunition, developed by Federal Cartridge and eliminates the need for hearing protection. When fired, the Metro Gun extension, won't even set off hearing sound reduction equipment. The decibel readings are about 72db. When fired with regular ammunition, the decibel readings are about 151db.

Simply remove the shotgun's choke system and install the Metro Gun extension. Then, add the choke to the muzzle of the Metro Gun extension and you're all set to shoot The Metro system is a barrel extension that is specially ported to reduce muzzle noise by half. The 32" extension installs easily in seconds by threading on in place of a choke tube. No modification to the gun is necessary, and the Metro will even accept your gun's original choke tubes.
  • 12ga only
  • Blue Matte
  • 32" overall length
  • Screwed into choke tube threads
  • Threaded to accept original choke tubes
  • Very low noise levels when used with sub-sonic ammo (about 72db)
  • Drilled to help reduce recoil and noise
  • Heavy loading will not harm extension

Last edited:
So, the average 30" semi-auto shotgun barrel with the extension and choke tube added would wind up being around 64" long. That is just over 5 feet long! I can't wait to see some of these in action during the coming waterfowl season.

Hey, try the Garmin with pistol speed level, I shot a pistol and forgot to change the settings, no reading. Switched it and it read every shot. I doubt your shotgun loads are over 1500fps which is where the rifle range starts.
Take Care

Hey, try the Garmin with pistol speed level, I shot a pistol and forgot to change the settings, no reading. Switched it and it read every shot. I doubt your shotgun loads are over 1500fps which is where the rifle range starts.
Take Care
Good idea, thank you!

Maybe I should remember to RYFM, lol!