Choices- Browning Hell's Canyon Speed vs. Long Range

300WM is definitely in the running. I don't believe there is a whole lot of room to seat the larger bullets in my Sako 300 WSM. I'm not in love with the Browning trigger, but it is serviceable. I would likely be looking elsewhere if I were spending that kind of money. But as it stands, I am replacing a rifle through Browning and those rifles are what I'm limiting my choices to.
Ahh, well that makes all the difference.

Do a good bedding and trigger job on the HC LR model and it should improve a lot.

I didn't pull it apart but the stock felt like a fairly cheap plastic model that might make it difficult to get/keep fully free floated without laying a steel rod along it's length back to the recoil lug and epoxying it in for strength.

Brownings unfortunately don't come with a great deal of aftermarket upgrades in the market so you just gotta do what you have to do to accurize them.

It's been my experience with Browning (3 of them) that they are excellent shooters and are very easy to work up loads for. The 3 I've loaded for achieve .5 moa. The come from the factory bedded so there's no need to bed the action. Browning makes a top notch rifle. It's too bad they're over looked for builds. They need a aftermarket following. Mcmillan does however, make their game scout stock for it. If I was to buy a rifle that I had no plans to alter, it would be a Browning x-bolt hands down without batting an eye.

300WM is definitely in the running. I don't believe there is a whole lot of room to seat the larger bullets in my Sako 300 WSM. I'm not in love with the Browning trigger, but it is serviceable. I would likely be looking elsewhere if I were spending that kind of money. But as it stands, I am replacing a rifle through Browning and those rifles are what I'm limiting my choices to.
If I were in your shoes and limited to the Browning options I think I'd probably try real hard to negotiate a deal on the LR/McMillan 300wm or 26 Nosler. They come with the McMillan Game Scout Stock included and bedded from the factory.

Even if you have to throw in some extra cash on top of the trade in you'll probably come out well ahead of having to replace the plastic factory stock later.

I just got my Long Range McMillan yesterday in 28 Nosler. Hoping the weather warms just a bit so I can take it out during the Christmas break and see what she'll do with 180 ELD-M and 195 Bergers.

Guys...Ive thought about this a bit more. As intriguing as the 28 Nosler is, I'm thinking the Browning is not the right rifle for me in this caliber...I think I'd like to build a rifle in this caliber down the road. I think the 300 WM and 215 Bergers is calling me in tghe Hell's Canyon Long Range. I handled both rifles today and the weight penalty seems minimal. Cost of brass and barrel life came into play here. I hope to keep this rifle awhile before having to rebarrel. If I ever go 28 Nosler, I'd prefer it in a tighter twist. I think I have been suffering from Nosler lust!

Ahh, well that makes all the difference.

Do a good bedding and trigger job on the HC LR model and it should improve a lot.

I didn't pull it apart but the stock felt like a fairly cheap plastic model that might make it difficult to get/keep fully free floated without laying a steel rod along it's length back to the recoil lug and epoxying it in for strength.

Brownings unfortunately don't come with a great deal of aftermarket upgrades in the market so you just gotta do what you have to do to accurize them.
I've had a Browning rifle in the past so I agree with you on the lack of upgrades. Good thing they make a pretty decent hunting rifle, and most of the reports I've read show pretty good accuracy. I gotta say I like the shape and feel of the factory stock though...seems to work for me.

If I were in your shoes and limited to the Browning options I think I'd probably try real hard to negotiate a deal on the LR/McMillan 300wm or 26 Nosler. They come with the McMillan Game Scout Stock included and bedded from the factory.

Even if you have to throw in some extra cash on top of the trade in you'll probably come out well ahead of having to replace the plastic factory stock later.

I came to roughly the same conclusion a little before your post...great minds think alike ;) LOL. I'll see what I can do.

It's been my experience with Browning (3 of them) that they are excellent shooters and are very easy to work up loads for. The 3 I've loaded for achieve .5 moa. The come from the factory bedded so there's no need to bed the action. Browning makes a top notch rifle. It's too bad they're over looked for builds. They need a aftermarket following. Mcmillan does however, make their game scout stock for it. If I was to buy a rifle that I had no plans to alter, it would be a Browning x-bolt hands down without batting an eye.
Agree with this whole post, except one part... I think Browning should have never done away with the A-Bolt II... Best action they've ever made, only thing I would change is to extend the mag box longer. But I do love my custom "Brownington" 7mmRM.

Agree with this whole post, except one part... I think Browning should have never done away with the A-Bolt II... Best action they've ever made, only thing I would change is to extend the mag box longer. But I do love my custom "Brownington" 7mmRM.
I like them both. My brother has a A-bolt2 280 and I've got an x-bolt 7mm RM. Mine on average shoot a slightly better but I've got more time into load development with mine.

l wouldnt want to be carying a realy heavy rifle with a very heavy target barrel in the mountains. but then again, there is a saying here in TURKEY = Teke'ye Boynuz Yük Olmaz ( larger horns wont create extra weight for an İBEX ) ;)

BTW...The Browning Service Center in Arnold, MO has been a pleasure to work with. They have been attentive, flexible and timely in my request for a replacement. I initially requested an HC Speed in 7RM. I changed my mind over the weekend and asked if I could change to a HC Long Range in 300WM and they said no problem. The shop didn't think any rifles would ship until January, but the Speed ended up on the truck to me that day. So I was sent a prepaid shipping label to return the Speed once it arrives, and they will replace it with the LR once it is available in January. I tell ya, it might be hard to pry that Speed out of my hands once it gets here. Can't say enough good things about Browning customer service at this point.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.