Choice of bullet for Moose hunt

I am not opining one way or another. The only experience have had using a Berger was good. Just relaying the conversations from some professional guides. I am like Fox News, we report you decide.

Well I wish I had good news to report.
My buddy and I hunted from the Silver Bullet Lodge, a supposedly trophy moose/never fail lodge in which neither of us saw a reasonable bull moose. The largest I saw in the timber from 1,150 yards, across a canyon, was about a 14 pointer which we could not get to. My buddy's largest he saw that he could have shot was a small 9 pointer, on which he passed on day 2.
The outfitter says that both hunters have never been blanked in the history of this lodge and they say they post a 93% success rate. Such is hunting. We were offered a reasonable discount on a future hunt and they truly felt badly for us.
So, I'll have to use all that load development on a subsequent hunt.
Thanks for all your help.
Next is Red Stag in Argentina in March. So I'll need to develop a good load for the 124 grain hammer hunters for the 6.5PRC. I have the Hammer website info.
That will start next week…
Be well.
T

The boys on Rokslide have gone to GREAT lengths to convince you that all you really need is a .223 with a 77 grain TMK …..and perfect shot placement of course…..to take pretty much everything out there in North America, including moose.

Well I wish I had good news to report.
My buddy and I hunted from the Silver Bullet Lodge, a supposedly trophy moose/never fail lodge in which neither of us saw a reasonable bull moose. The largest I saw in the timber from 1,150 yards, across a canyon, was about a 14 pointer which we could not get to. My buddy's largest he saw that he could have shot was a small 9 pointer, on which he passed on day 2.
The outfitter says that both hunters have never been blanked in the history of this lodge and they say they post a 93% success rate. Such is hunting. We were offered a reasonable discount on a future hunt and they truly felt badly for us.
So, I'll have to use all that load development on a subsequent hunt.
Thanks for all your help.
Next is Red Stag in Argentina in March. So I'll need to develop a good load for the 124 grain hammer hunters for the 6.5PRC. I have the Hammer website info.
That will start next week…
Be well.
T

Unfortunate news. I am guessing you hunted with Effords, they have a Silver Bullet Lodge. I have gone with them twice. Both times everyone in the camps my buddies and I were in tagged out, 6 for 6. If you go again I would suggest a trophy camp. They are only open 2 weeks, 2 hunters each week. Same amount of designated hunting area as the "meat" camps.

You are correct. It was with the Effords. The lodge is a trophy camp. That is why we chose it. It was just two of us hunting. It was, however open for 4 weeks and we were the fourth week… they took 5 moose out in the prior 3 weeks. So perhaps the good moose were gone. Probably should have chosen the first or second week. But didn't know to ask. Live and learn.

The boys on Rokslide have gone to GREAT lengths to convince you that all you really need is a .223 with a 77 grain TMK …..and perfect shot placement of course…..to take pretty much everything out there in North America, including moose.

Do ya mean that this is not recommended by everyone? 🙀 I wuz getting ready for my Africa Safari using exactly that combination! 😜

In the "real world"……."just because you can, doesn't mean you should"! Sheesh! 🤦‍♂️ memtb

Last edited: