Choice of bullet for Moose hunt

Not to sound like a "smart @$$", but .5 moa groups are not necessary for moose. I'd never think twice about using a much superior bullet that shoots 1.5 moa groups, for big bodied game with the possibility of a steeply angled shot! But that's just me!
It is my firm belief that most important when hunting is that the first cold bore shot goes EXACTLY where aimed…
I have never shot a group on an animal, never will.
Have seen too many hunters solely focused on where their shot is going to go rather than what is right in front of them. Admiring the shot is what it is called in Africa, I was taught to keep shooting, whether needed or not, if the animal is still standing or mobile. We call this snap shooting from off-hand and it is normal here..I had a difficult time in Africa adjusting to shooting off of sticks, it was totally foreign to me, still is, I was told they don't trust off-hand shots. Funny thing, all the PH's and trackers shot off-hand…

Cheers.

Not trying to be argumentative here….I'm actually (believe it or not) attempting to be serious. This question is posed to those advocating highly accurate, relatively thin jacketed, cup and core bullets for a moose or any other large bodied, big game animal.

The OP is obviously a non resident, likely paying very big money on a guided…..perhaps "once in a lifetime" moose hunt!

With those qualifications understood…… this is the scenario. The "hunter" has only one brief opportunity to make a shot, and that one shot is a very steeply angled shot from the rear of the animal.

This shot would necessitate placing the bullet just forward of the hindquarter…..requiring the bullet to penetrate a long way through lots of tissue/organs that very likely will not cause immediate or nearly so, death! The bullet path may encounter a paunch full of wet, densely packed foliage.

So….. are you sufficiently confident it the ability of some of the aforementioned, super accurate, fast expanding cup and core bullets to reach the vitals ( diaphragm, lungs, possibly the heart, and continue on to break the off shoulder), on this "once in a lifetime", very expensive hunt?

Or, do you pass on that shot, go home empty handed, suspecting that you will "never" get to make another moose hunt?

I truly believe that this is a valid question that should be addressed! JMO. memtb

These are wise words to consider. I have only used Bergers hunting once. A 156 out of a 6.5PRC very nice broad side presentation on a large whitetail buck at about 200 yards. One shot, devasting damage to the lungs and body cavity. I was quite pleased with the performance. Fast forward to last month when I was in Alaska hunting. The outfitter told me he would prefer I not use a load with cup and core bullets particularly with a Grizzly tag. Then talking guns, ammo, hunting etc around camp after dinners every guide in camp went on and on how they hate Bergers. Every one said that Bergers far and away were the leader in wounded unrecovered animals. I know a lot of folks here love them and the 215 is revered at Longrange Only but it does give you pause when such unanimous hate is voiced by people who make a living killing game.......

These are wise words to consider. I have only used Bergers hunting once. A 156 out of a 6.5PRC very nice broad side presentation on a large whitetail buck at about 200 yards. One shot, devasting damage to the lungs and body cavity. I was quite pleased with the performance. Fast forward to last month when I was in Alaska hunting. The outfitter told me he would prefer I not use a load with cup and core bullets particularly with a Grizzly tag. Then talking guns, ammo, hunting etc around camp after dinners every guide in camp went on and on how they hate Bergers. Every one said that Bergers far and away were the leader in wounded unrecovered animals. I know a lot of folks here love them and the 215 is revered at Longrange Only but it does give you pause when such unanimous hate is voiced by people who make a living killing game.......
Me personally, I only use Bergers on deer size and smaller game. Accubonds, partitions, A frames for anything larger.

Memtb

You are right on most of that. Unfortunately, it is my second reasonably expensive guided moose hunt to Newfoundland. On the first hunt, I organized a group of four of us and the three of them all came back with nice bulls, and I did not even see a bull moose. That outfitter was near civilization, as one of my friends needed to maintain cell service.
So this trip is with another friend. It is a helicopter in, to the middle of nowhere camp, where, hopefully, Moose will be plentiful.

The hammer bullets will be delivered on Tuesday. I will work up 20 of those and see how they shoot. I will also work up the Barnes further off the lands. Departure date is October 4, so I have a little bit of time.

My preferences, a monometal bullet.

I thank everyone for their assistance. Great educational forum…

T

Good Luck my friend……Wishing You the Best on your hunt! 👍 memtb

It is my firm belief that most important when hunting is that the first cold bore shot goes EXACTLY where aimed…
I have never shot a group on an animal, never will.
Have seen too many hunters solely focused on where their shot is going to go rather than what is right in front of them. Admiring the shot is what it is called in Africa, I was taught to keep shooting, whether needed or not, if the animal is still standing or mobile. We call this snap shooting from off-hand and it is normal here..I had a difficult time in Africa adjusting to shooting off of sticks, it was totally foreign to me, still is, I was told they don't trust off-hand shots. Funny thing, all the PH's and trackers shot off-hand…

Cheers.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. I used to be so concerned with 5 shot groups then it became 3shot groups. My 300 RUM shooting 180 grain TTSXs... the first 2 bullets are touching... but the third shot is right around 6" high. The gun has a pencil thin barrel but it doesn't bother me at all. If 2 shots don't do the trick... the animal is in the next province!!! With regard to shooting at an animal till it's down I have afriend who has a habit of watching it drop... then getting back in the truck or slowly walking up... having even unloaded the gun and then the elk/moose takes off on him. Then I wind up tracking the dang thing. Sometimes we get lucky sometimes not.

@topcat265 I found this...not sure what you ordered for Hammers, but maybe it will give you a bit of an idea.

Memtb

You are right on most of that. Unfortunately, it is my second reasonably expensive guided moose hunt to Newfoundland. On the first hunt, I organized a group of four of us and the three of them all came back with nice bulls, and I did not even see a bull moose. That outfitter was near civilization, as one of my friends needed to maintain cell service.
So this trip is with another friend. It is a helicopter in, to the middle of nowhere camp, where, hopefully, Moose will be plentiful.

The hammer bullets will be delivered on Tuesday. I will work up 20 of those and see how they shoot. I will also work up the Barnes further off the lands. Departure date is October 4, so I have a little bit of time.

My preferences, a monometal bullet.

I thank everyone for their assistance. Great educational forum…

T

topcat265,

Barnes recommends starting @ 0.050" (yes 50 thousandths) off of the lands….work both ways from there! I know that goes against that which was "written in stone" pertaining to conventional cup and core bullets!

Not saying that it will suddenly become a "match" rifle…..but, it may bring a smile to your face! 😉

Again, good luck with your loads……and wishing you "GREAT" luck on your hunt! memtb